Signs and Symptoms of type 1 diabetes in children

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
My son had all these symptoms and my doctor turned my son away 2 times in a week and said he just had a virus!

Hi, It was the same for my 2 1/2 yr old granddaughter, she ended up in hospital on HDU fighting to stay alive.
I hope your son recovered well and is a happy and a healthy child:).

Best wishes RRB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
We were half hour away from him going into a coma, I ended up taking him to a&e he was only 18 months at the time, 6 years on and he's happy healthy and the best thing in the world! Hope your granddaughter is ok now!

That's good to hear that he is thriving, my granddaughter is 7 now and they are about the same age :)
I was crying and so upset to see her with tubes coming out of everywhere and with an oxygen mask on. A petition is going to try and get the symptoms of type 1 diabetes put into the child's red book, it would be a life saver to so many. People don't realise what a potential killer type 1 can be.
Best wishes RRB

Derekwj37

Type of diabetes
Type 1

Hello,
Our son was 4 when diagnosed with type 1, he was taken to the doctor with nearly all of the symptoms as you show. Spotted straight away (to be honest the night before with a bit of research we had an idea), Within 1 hour he was in children's ward (bg of 28), stayed in hospital over 5 nights with a bed for patent also to stay with him full time, within 3 days animas flew over to see my wife and I, and trained us on pumping, We left hospital day 6 and on the 7th day he was on a vibe pump.
You do hear so many bad reports of missed symptoms by gp's, but I have to stand up and say our experience was so very good and a credit to the medical profession. Best wishes to all.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My son was diagnosed in 2009 aged 4. We spotted the signs ( my husband has type 1) so he never got 'sick'

Hi Mum2four..

Oddly, I was rough as the proverbial leading up to my 8th birthday & my mum got fobbed off the first time.. It was a nurse friend on a kiddy ward that got me admitted.. (Summer of 76.)

Tagging in @mahola , her daughter was diagnosed, then a short wile later found herself in the same boat...

Tanithb

Hi all iv been fighting to get my child diagnosed for a while she's now and had been suffering with her blood sugars since 9 months mostly us catching lows when shes ill or feeling off last week she was 1.3 hospital give her 1 4th of dextrose gel and she went up to 10.2 they sent docs a report saying she's diabetic then yesterday she was at 1.6 so we give her choc digestive and vimto she went up to 6.8 good so she then had her brekki frosties and after that she was at 17 she's never ever been this high so went docs and the nurse said we need to come to the hospital and she said it's diabetes and will refer her to the clinic for a formal diagnosis good so at the hospital she had her bloods done they was 11 all she had was some harriobs night time she was 9 before bed then this morning she was 3.9 she had 3 rounds of toast and some fresh juice and she went up to 7.9 after 30 mins and 60 mins 7.7 is this normal I through it's a big jump for just toast seen as she's not yet got a diagnosis what do you all think hubby is type 1 only diagnosis in jan this year so new to us he's bloods were 23 xx

Reactions: gvintagedrken

leahkian

Tanithb the toast is a slow burning carb the fresh juice will have put her sugar up and by what you are saying it does look if she maybe a diabetic. I would contact the hospital and speak to the diabetic team and tell them you are worried and can you be seen asap.

Reactions: gvintagedrken

Tengworth

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Went to doctor who picked up symptoms and sent us straight to hospital.

Jonlennon

Hi I'm 30 and type1, I'm a little concerned as my 7 year old son has been really thirsty recently, always eating and has wet the bet the last two nights and this unlike him, I was wondering weather to use my kit to test his sugar, it could be nothing but I am a little worried. Any advice would be appreciated.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi I'm 30 and type1, I'm a little concerned as my 7 year old son has been really thirsty recently, always eating and has wet the bet the last two nights and this unlike him, I was wondering weather to use my kit to test his sugar, it could be nothing but I am a little worried. Any advice would be appreciated.
If you worry, and the symptoms you mention usually should be taken seriously, there's no harm in testing.

Reactions: Jonlennon

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I'm only saying what I would do, but I can say that better to be safe than sorry - I would test. Keep in mind, that a result from only 1 test is not telling much, so please, test a few times before you draw any conclusions...

Reactions: Jonlennon