My hba1c today

MarcoRiveira

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My 1st hba1c upon diagnosis was 11%. Now, on my 3rd month, I finally got my 2nd hba1c and my doctor and I were pleased, 6.1%. Here's hoping to get it even lower.

On a sidenote, I didn't bother what hba1c was when diagnosed, but this time I did some reading on the guide here and downloaded the 50 Shades of HbA1c Infographic -> http://www.diabetes.co.uk/what-is-hba1c.html

It shows my 6.1% equates to 7.1 mmol/L. I read somewhere that new findings suggest hba1c is an average of bs levels 4 to 6 weeks before the test. Still confused, I was thinking my averages as measured by my meter would be in the 6's the past 4 to 6 weeks.

Anyway, found this guide that helped answer my question, which noted the difference between plasma and whole blood samples:

http://diabeticmommy.com/24-hba1c-conversion-chart.html

So it turns out my Freestyle Freedom Lite meter measures whole blood samples, while hba1c measures plasma samples. Slight difference in values, but it helped clarify my confusion.

Reactions: 11 people

Kyi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Im due my HbA1c results on Thursday. I am black and blue today as a result of trying to get blood out of my arm and back of my hand. I just knew it was going to be one of those days when I went to my Drs for my blood work. Arrived 8.30 9th in the que. The lady before me also had thin veins they struggled to get bloods from. When I saw the nurse wasnt the usual one I knew immediately I was going to the hospital to get my bloods done. 9.10 I got to go see the new nurse. After the first 3 attempts in my right arm she turned my arm over and tried from the back. Still no luck poking around all over the place trying to draw blood. She gave up on that arm after 4 attempts and started on the left arm...Another 3 attempts and then moved to the back of my hand....still no blood. I started to wonder if Im a vampire and no blood in there. I was up to 8 holes in my arms at that point. I decided to give her one more go and suggested I go drink a litre of water and wait again to see if that helped. I really didnt want to drive to the hospital just to get bloods done. Second time around I was number 23. I hoped the others had been more successful than I. It was now 10am and I was getting hungry. I hadnt taken my medication yet either. After another poke around, she said no I had to go up to the hospital. 10 holes and nothing more.... 10.20am at the hospital took a number 523. I had no idea how many had been in that day but at least I only waited 5 minutes before I was called. I told her to use my left arm because Id been poked enough on my right and it was sore. She poked around on my left arm and turned it up towards the top of the elbow crease and stuck the needle in. First try she got the blood she needed. My right arm looks like its got measles, my left arm has the biggest bruise on the top of the crease where the hospital took blood from. I am hoping my HbA1c and my thyroid test come back good and that I do not need to give up any more blood for a while...At least until this round of bruises fade in about 2 weeks time. January Hb1A1c was 9.4 Im hoping for a 7 this month but it might not be as good news so long as its less Ill be happy.

Neohdiver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It shows my 6.1% equates to 7.1 mmol/L. I read somewhere that new findings suggest hba1c is an average of bs levels 4 to 6 weeks before the test. Still confused, I was thinking my averages as measured by my meter would be in the 6's the past 4 to 6 weeks.

I had predicted a 5.3% A1c, based on my averages - and it came up 5.7.

In my case, I think the discrepancy is that I haven't been testing between my fasting test and my pre-lunch test. I have an obnoxious amount of dawn phenomenon. So I was missing ~4 hours a day of above average readings. I'm now testing in that time period, as well as actively trying to address tamping down that pesky DP.

Reactions: 5 people

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Im due my HbA1c results on Thursday. I am black and blue today as a result of trying to get blood out of my arm and back of my hand. I just knew it was going to be one of those days when I went to my Drs for my blood work. Arrived 8.30 9th in the que. The lady before me also had thin veins they struggled to get bloods from. When I saw the nurse wasnt the usual one I knew immediately I was going to the hospital to get my bloods done. 9.10 I got to go see the new nurse. After the first 3 attempts in my right arm she turned my arm over and tried from the back. Still no luck poking around all over the place trying to draw blood. She gave up on that arm after 4 attempts and started on the left arm...Another 3 attempts and then moved to the back of my hand....still no blood. I started to wonder if Im a vampire and no blood in there. I was up to 8 holes in my arms at that point. I decided to give her one more go and suggested I go drink a litre of water and wait again to see if that helped. I really didnt want to drive to the hospital just to get bloods done. Second time around I was number 23. I hoped the others had been more successful than I. It was now 10am and I was getting hungry. I hadnt taken my medication yet either. After another poke around, she said no I had to go up to the hospital
That is disgraceful. I had to suffer 5 attempts once and that was bad enough. Even now, I tell them which arm to try, so they try the other one first more often than not.

Reactions: 3 people

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Im due my HbA1c results on Thursday. I am black and blue today as a result of trying to get blood out of my arm and back of my hand. I just knew it was going to be one of those days when I went to my Drs for my blood work. Arrived 8.30 9th in the que. The lady before me also had thin veins they struggled to get bloods from. When I saw the nurse wasnt the usual one I knew immediately I was going to the hospital to get my bloods done. 9.10 I got to go see the new nurse. After the first 3 attempts in my right arm she turned my arm over and tried from the back. Still no luck poking around all over the place trying to draw blood. She gave up on that arm after 4 attempts and started on the left arm...Another 3 attempts and then moved to the back of my hand....still no blood. I started to wonder if Im a vampire and no blood in there. I was up to 8 holes in my arms at that point. I decided to give her one more go and suggested I go drink a litre of water and wait again to see if that helped. I really didnt want to drive to the hospital just to get bloods done. Second time around I was number 23. I hoped the others had been more successful than I. It was now 10am and I was getting hungry. I hadnt taken my medication yet either. After another poke around, she said no I had to go up to the hospital. 10 holes and nothing more.... 10.20am at the hospital took a number 523. I had no idea how many had been in that day but at least I only waited 5 minutes before I was called. I told her to use my left arm because Id been poked enough on my right and it was sore. She poked around on my left arm and turned it up towards the top of the elbow crease and stuck the needle in. First try she got the blood she needed. My right arm looks like its got measles, my left arm has the biggest bruise on the top of the crease where the hospital took blood from. I am hoping my HbA1c and my thyroid test come back good and that I do not need to give up any more blood for a while...At least until this round of bruises fade in about 2 weeks time. January Hb1A1c was 9.4 Im hoping for a 7 this month but it might not be as good news so long as its less Ill be happy.
Poor you that sounds awful. I'll keep my fingers crossed thst you get a good HBA1C result

TooManyCrisps

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had predicted a 5.3% A1c, based on my averages - and it came up 5.7.

In my case, I think the discrepancy is that I haven't been testing between my fasting test and my pre-lunch test. I have an obnoxious amount of dawn phenomenon. So I was missing ~4 hours a day of above average readings. I'm now testing in that time period, as well as actively trying to address tamping down that pesky DP.
I find that,whether i eat breakfast or not, my blood sugar just keeps climbing in the morning, until about midday when it starts dropping again. Its so frustrating.

But well done, you've still got avreally good HBA1C result.

muzza3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cauliflower pretending to be rice and any vegetable pretending to be pasta
My 1st hba1c upon diagnosis was 11%. Now, on my 3rd month, I finally got my 2nd hba1c and my doctor and I were pleased, 6.1%. Here's hoping to get it even lower.

On a sidenote, I didn't bother what hba1c was when diagnosed, but this time I did some reading on the guide here and downloaded the 50 Shades of HbA1c Infographic -> http://www.diabetes.co.uk/what-is-hba1c.html

Anyway, found this guide that helped answer my question, which noted the difference between plasma and whole blood samples:

http://diabeticmommy.com/24-hba1c-conversion-chart.html

So it turns out my Freestyle Freedom Lite meter measures whole blood samples, while hba1c measures plasma samples. Slight difference in values, but it helped clarify my confusion.
Congratulations on a great result! Well Done!

MarcoRiveira

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks, folks. Well, I give credit to my doctor for giving me the right meds in the first place, checking my nerves, eyes, blood pressure (all ok). I had to reduce my carbs from high to moderate, now going lower, as well as getting more exercise.

Also been taking all kinds of supplements - gymnema tea and capsules, seems to help lessen spikes, as well as cinnamon, dark chocolate, apple cider vinegar. My morning fasting levels are now in the high 5s for the past 5 days, reduced from 6s earlier, even with the same dinner, so I guess it does take some time to gradually go lower (read this from another post here). Best readings are still before dinner, consistently in the high 4s now instead of 5s, this is at the peak of the Diamicron MR (gliclazide slow release) working.

Of course, reading the posts and articles in this forum has helped a lot too. So kudos to diabetes.co.uk

Reactions: 8 people