Carpal tunnel syndrome in hand

intentionally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all
Has anyone ever suffered from this condition? And what treatment have they had done to help? Have read on the internet that it can be caused by being diabetic? Is this true?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes, had it in my right hand, through work, not diabetes.
Had the operation, absolutely recommend it!
Didn't feel a thing!
Nothing other than the op worked for me.
All symptoms gone.

If you're worried, see your GP for a referral.

intentionally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks @nosher8355

I am a dental hygienist so I work with my hands a lot. Quite depressed I have problems already as I have only been working for 5 yrs. I have early stages of it. Was thinking of going to see an osteopath? I saw the GP and he gave me steroids to take :(

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Can you take steroids with T1?

intentionally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
GP said it might cause my sugars to increase so take more insulin? Can you not take it if your type 1? How long were you getting the symptoms for before you decided to have the surgery?

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Only a couple of months, couldn't do much with my hand, and for someone in my line of work, necessary, only off work, just over a week but I healed very quickly and not a problem with the whole thing.

The only downer, I would have got compensation in my old job, but couldn't claim due to redundancy agreement, sometimes life sucks.

Before op, I would not have been able to type, but I'm not very good with my left!!
I have no idea about steroids, just something I read.

Pussytiddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bad mannered people.
Hi all
Has anyone ever suffered from this condition? And what treatment have they had done to help? Have read on the internet that it can be caused by being diabetic? Is this true?
Sorry to read about your Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. I have it in both hands but worst in my left hand and decided to have the operation. It's awkward if you live alone...try using a tin opener with one hand. I think the physio post op is important as I didn't have any and the hand is weak, even many years later. I still get the odd bouts of numbness, but I don't regret the operation even though it was only 90% successful.

Happy hippy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football
Hi all

I'm type two and have hand and wrist pain. I had tests at hospital. And have severe nerve damage in both.
They mentioned carpal tunnel and surgery. But I'm not keen on surgery as I've had loads in other places
The main cause for me is constant high blood sugars. I working to lower them using the low carb diet. Sugars have been high for a long time and that's due to high carb foods I'm afraid.
Good luck to you. Maddy.

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I had the operation in January on my right wrist, prior to this I had injections in both wrists 20+ year back which worked for around 12 year, carpel tunnel came back and I just got on with it,

I bought a pair of wrist splints which helped a little during the night but last year I noticed the muscle at the base of my thumb on my right hand was wasting away some I saw my GP who sent me to have nerve tests, it showed severe nerve damage in both hands and feet so had my right hand done and never looked back. I was off for 5 weeks

Reactions: 2 people

grand mort

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
GP said it might cause my sugars to increase so take more insulin? Can you not take it if your type 1? How long were you getting the symptoms for before you decided to have the surgery?
Hello, I have had carpel tunnel in both hands since the early 80s as a result of being a jockey. I had the nerve test done and the result was moderate to serve carpel tunnel in both hands. I was going to have both hands operated on in 2007 but pulled out at the last moment because i met a woman who had this operation and could not return to work after 18 months as her hands were still playing up after all this time. other reports say that you can be permanently disabled from this operation so do some research on complications of surgery on carpel tunnel before you make a choice. as for me my hands have not got any worse and to be truthful they have improved vastly to what they were like. I hope this is helpful to you. cheers and good luck.

Happy hippy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football
I'm type two and have hand and wrist pain. I had tests at hospital. And have severe nerve damage in both.
They mentioned carpal tunnel and surgery. But I'm not keen on surgery as I've had loads in other places
The main cause for me is constant high blood sugars. I working to lower them using the low carb diet. Sugars have been high for a long time and that's due to high carb foods I'm afraid.
Good luck to you. Maddy.
Hi just an update.
I had the surgery on my left hand and I’m very happy I did.
I don’t have any pain or tingling in that hand now and it fully functional.
Except for the arthritis in thumb joint.
I recommend the op. Well worth it.

Reactions: Peppergirl