Cannabis and diabetes

Colinsryder

We have been considering using cannabis in cooking to help with various conditions that my wife and I have. These include diabetes type 2, FMS, CIDP and arthritis.

MH2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Colinsryder be careful if using cannabis in any form as it can raise your blood sugar levels by quite a lot.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Colinsryder be careful if using cannabis in any form as it can raise your blood sugar levels by quite a lot.
Modern cultivation of cannabis uses carbohydrates (mainly molasses or honey) to increase the yield. This is especially so for hydroponic cultivation. Googling carbs in cannabis will give loads of info, but I could not find specific carb count /100 gms. I wonder why?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I suppose you could treat it like a veggie stock cube?

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
It has also known to cause a certain amount of increased appetite (munchies anyone?:p) so use with caution if struggling with over/binge eating - have plenty of sugar free drinks to hand.

Reactions: 6 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
I'm all for medical use of cannabis for pain but I don't encourage recreational use. :)

Jkeydj420

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am a type 1 since age 1 (now 28) I have used cannabis recreationally in the past but now I use it more so for cooking... I find it helps tame my irratic blood sugar levels, makes me feel better and less sluggish, more clear headed and helps with my pain which is due to neuropathy.. Smoking it doesn't give the same effect as when it's ingested from a properly prepared from decarboxylated bud - cannabutter...

Brit90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
One thing people need to remember is that the THC is not what you need. Cannibinoids are the phytonutrients you need. Smoking it - won't help you in the long term, just for the pain.
The oil you can get from it is very good for helping your body - There are many websites people explaining and using cannabis oil to fix problems. Cannibinoids are the super vitamin :)

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Bobby123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
CBD oil or cbd crystals are very good for anxiety relief and relaxation. CBD makes you become more tolerant to things that usually annoy you. I am type 1 with tinnitus. Tinnitus does not bother me anymore. And all the daily blood checking and insulin injections, careful carbohydrate counting etc., become more tolerable. So I think that CBD also helps with the HBA1C. Now as for the total entourage of cannabis ie THC, CBD, CBN etc, I don`t recommend any type 1 to take the full marijuana entourage unless one finds the proper strain. The strain should have high levels of CBD and THCV. If possible no THC or at least very low % of THC. I have tried a strain with high THC. Do not do it.

Bobby123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Deespee23, tell us about your experience with the joint in relation to diabetes.

Deespee23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just an old song from Country Joe.....but I hear that Fish is good for LCHF dieters. ..;)

Last edited:

SugarBuzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
**** doctors. Airport travel.
Deespee23, tell us about your experience with the joint in relation to diabetes.

Come on Bobby! We're more interested in what happened when you ' tried a strain with high THC' and why you 'advise us not to do it'.

Don't be all kiss and no tell. Spit it out. . . .

gavin86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I haven't read any studies, but have to say the biggest issue I can think of, is a bit of a buzz actually feels similar to a hypo. Could mask effects. Also as mentioned above, anything that makes you sleepy runs a risk. I guess munchies could be a problem. A big problem.

Carbs in cannabis may be a thing, but given the total "dose" is usually less than 1g, you won't be getting much unless you're cooking with stems and leaves.
I did a lot of illicit things in my youth (long time ago now... ). When I had my first (and only so far) sub 3 hypo, it made my body feel very similar to somewhere between cannabis and MDMA... except my mind was less "whoa I feel great" and more "ohshit I don't feel right".

MartinGil

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty
Instead of cooking, smoking or vaping with marijuana, making tea with it is a safer option in my view. .25 gram brewed with coconut oil to one cup of water. It is easier to gauge the exact amount and you are less likely to 'overdose'. I have found has lowered and stabilised my blood sugar readings. They are approx 20% lower than without cannabis. I do get the munchies yet my weight is a little less than it was before. So for me it is all good and the little bit of 'feel good' can do no harm at all. Another positive is that my blood pressure has dropped to an excellent level. So for me all good news.

Reactions: OrsonKartt