Thyroid And Type 1diabetes

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi all
I was Diagnosed with Hypothyroid just over 8 weeks ago and I will admit to knowing next to nothing about it.
I have been reading a bit on the internet since.........

How many of us forum members have both ( thyroid issues and Type 1 )

if you want to share any symptoms that would be great and -- do you get relapses / how often to any meds need titrating to get back to feeling ok ?

I was so tired I could barely keep my eyes open , was constantly cold , and felt extra weepy for a few months before diagnosis.
I still don't feel 100% but my GP seems fine with leaving me on 50mcg levothyroxine for the time being.
I have phoned my DSN and she is speaking to my Endo about getting more blood tests done.... so just awaiting news on that front.

thanks for reading and responding ( if anyone does :) )

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I do, but mine is Graves Thyrotoxicosis which I ened up taking a radioactive iodene tablet for it 2 or 3 years back, this just about killed my thyroid

I lost alot of weight prior to this as mine was overactive but still like you I was constantly tired and still do not have as much energy as I used to (maybe thats my age haha). I take 100mcg of levothyroxine

Reactions: 2 people

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi all
I was Diagnosed with Hypothyroid just over 8 weeks ago and I will admit to knowing next to nothing about it.

if you want to share any symptoms that would be great and -- do you get relapses / how often to any meds need titrating to get back to feeling ok ?

I was so tired I could barely keep my eyes open , was constantly cold , and felt extra weepy for a few months before diagnosis.
I still don't feel 100% but my GP seems fine with leaving me on 50mcg levothyroxine for the time being.
I have phoned my DSN and she is speaking to my Endo about getting more blood tests done.... so just awaiting news on that front.

That sucks about your thyroid - my last blood work showed my thyroid levels just within the accepted normal range and my Doctor said they were still fine but it would be a good idea to keep an eye on it. I had asked why because up until that time I didn't realize Hypothyroid issues was a diabetes complication but - hey, why not ... the list of potential complications seem to grow as our medical sciences evolve.

Having been diagnosed when I was 4 and I'm 54 now I try not to dwell on complications because it stresses me way out. Fortunately I've been spared up until this point. The interesting thing with my thyroid levels - it was the first time my doctor ever tested for them, So I don't know if this is a fairly new discovery with type 1s (Hypothyroidism) or he just didn't see the need to test for that before. Possibly my levels have always been at that level who knows. It will be interesting to see what my next blood work reveals.

Anyway @himtoo good luck and I hope it's not too difficult to regulate your thyroid levels!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi all

Sorry to hear that, l have been lucky so far and haven't got any thyroid problems. My daughter aged 7 was diagnosed border line ( she kept saying she was tired) and her GP said it may surface when she gets older. Thyroid conditions are very common with diabetes and as we get older too. I bought a book from my pharmacy, 8 years ago, as soon as I found out she was borderline. Also, my friend was diagnosed with the same condition as you about 6 weeks ago, similar symptoms, but not diabetic. Take care, it may take a few weeks for the meds to kick in and then to increase gradually if required.
All the best, RRB :)

Reactions: 3 people

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @himtoo - sorry to hear about this.

Like @Gaz-M I had Graves' disease, and as a result of treatment to kill off my thyroid I am on a daily dose of 200mcg levothyroxine.

It is important for them to test you until the dose is right for you. There is a fine balance between two crucial factors (this is my own understanding of it and it may not be 100%) of free thyroxine (T4), which is essentially the level of thyroxine in your system, and TSH - thyroid stimulating hormone - which comes from your pituitary gland.

The acceptable T4 range is fairly wide, but even if your T4 is in that range but your TSH is still high, you will continue to get symptoms of hypothyroid. It's important that those two numbers are both within range.

Please ask for regular testing. If it's out of whack you will feel dreadful.

If I'm not on enough I feel sluggish and cold, and put weight on.
If I'm on too much I have frightening anxiety issues.

My dose gets tweaked from time to time. Every time I have an HbA1c they do the thyroid tests too. At the moment I am waiting to hear about a follow-up on an unexpectedly high TSH result - they're looking at absorption issues.

I'd push for more testing until you feel right, @himtoo . All the very best with it.

:)

Reactions: 3 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
WHilst there's a link between T1D and Thyroid disorders, I think it's wrong to say that it is a complication of diabetes. It's usually a different autoimmune condition, so if you are susceptible to them (t1D, Vitaligo, Psoriasis) then you are more likely to end up with a coincident condition.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
thank you for the responses.
i am still getting to grips with this .
hard to understand it ( haha like D is easy )

I shall post updates as things happen
thanks once again !!!

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all

Hi, Himtoo, Re how many have both , 30% or more type one women are hypothyroid - - http://journal.diabetes.org/clinicaldiabetes/v18n12000/pg38.htm - not sure the proportion of men, but a lot less, in addition large numbers of Type ones have thyroid antibodies, though not being yet in the TSH level for treatment in the uk (the level in usa is, as far as i know, lower). According to some research, and one of my past GPs, these autoantibodies signify some level of attack/inflammation and can make someone feel unwell, even if treated.
Re the effect on type one, the article quoted says not many notice, in my view, with tighter control, if my experience is anything typical, there is a lot of effect. I would advise to be aware of dosage changes, hypo symptoms changes, etc,
Also, be aware that thyroid hormone levels change through the day - depending on when you have a test, this can make a difference - if you are borderline . Levels can also change back and forth (eg with ageing, and also small weight changes). Also many other things. Safety of treatment depends on your age, among other things. A lot has not been researched much until recently - possibly as it is regarded as predominantly an older persons' (usually women's) disease?, lipid levels will almost certainly have changed, as hypo thyroidism is the second most common reason for them to rise. Hope this helps

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, Himtoo, Re how many have both , 30% or more type one women are hypothyroid - - http://journal.diabetes.org/clinicaldiabetes/v18n12000/pg38.htm - not sure the proportion of men, but a lot less, in addition large numbers of Type ones have thyroid antibodies, though not being yet in the TSH level for treatment in the uk (the level in usa is, as far as i know, lower). According to some research, and one of my past GPs, these autoantibodies signify some level of attack/inflammation and can make someone feel unwell, even if treated.
Re the effect on type one, the article quoted says not many notice, in my view, with tighter control, if my experience is anything typical, there is a lot of effect. I would advise to be aware of dosage changes, hypo symptoms changes, etc,
Also, be aware that thyroid hormone levels change through the day - depending on when you have a test, this can make a difference - if you are borderline . Levels can also change back and forth (eg with ageing, and also small weight changes). Also many other things. Safety of treatment depends on your age, among other things. A lot has not been researched much until recently - possibly as it is regarded as predominantly an older persons' (usually women's) disease?, lipid levels will almost certainly have changed, as hypo thyroidism is the second most common reason for them to rise. Hope this helps

P.S i looked again at that article i quoted, and i read those figures wrong! Sorry...much lower percentage.... looking at other articles the percentage gets higher, and much higher for women, with age, esp over 60 or 65. As someone with quite mild disease - ie TSH untreated always less than 10 - i have found things do change back and forth, and this can make both thyroid treatment and diabetes a lot more difficult. Have you any excess weight at all? Has your weight altered before or since diagnosis?

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi @ann34+
my weight has been an issue for the last 10 years -- creeping up in a very slow but steady way , averaging about 2 lbs per year.

For the last year i have not gained any more but have cut down my eating to around 1400 calories per day , average about 125 carbs per day -

@Indy51 I have not had my vitamin D level tested to my knowledge

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Please ask for Vitamin D to be tested - a deficiency is very common with hypothyroid.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
thanks @Indy51 -- i will ask.

not sure if related in any way but I do take 1500mg of Adcal D3 every day ( calcium with Vit D3 )
as i have a diagnosis of Osteopenia

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Should the regular tests include T4 test or just TSH?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Also do others when taking avoid food with calcium before and after taking?

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @ann34+
my weight has been an issue for the last 10 years -- creeping up in a very slow but steady way , averaging about 2 lbs per year.

For the last year i have not gained any more but have cut down my eating to around 1400 calories per day , average about 125 carbs per day -

@Indy51 I have not had my vitamin D level tested to my knowledge

That's interesting, i had a small gain, but larger gain in waist measurement, and i now think that may be key - i also had osteopenia, low serum ferritin, and D - all apparently not uncommon with autoimmune hypothyroid. Thyroid profile is now just in the high normal/ subclinical range, and the antibodies are down a bit , off meds after years, I think this may be due to steady, very difficult, diet/reducing carbs for nearly 4 years, very slow weight loss of 3lbs a year, lipids have also improved a bit. Now off meds it is safer to diet and am attempting to get back to the waist measurement i had before i started getting tired and my lipids stated rising.
I have wondered whether, for some people past middle age, small steady weight gain/or increase in waist measurement might exacerbate an autoimmune process and steady small weight loss might improve things ? 2 relatives also became hypothyroid after similar changes in middle age.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: himtoo

magsiesss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who drive with fog lights on when its only a bit of mist
I am type 2 and have recently also been diagnosed as having an under active thyroid - what is your TSH?

My doc upped my levo in order to help me lose the weight - he could see from my BS results I had made huge lifestyle changes and now its time to work on losing the weight which I have been unable to do (despite trying to with eating less carbs and being way more active)

ann34+

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am type 2 and have recently also been diagnosed as having an under active thyroid - what is your TSH?

My doc upped my levo in order to help me lose the weight - he could see from my BS results I had made huge lifestyle changes and now its time to work on losing the weight which I have been unable to do (despite trying to with eating less carbs and being way more active)

your doctor can prescribe to lower your TSH into the normal reference range - which is set by your area/country - but i would be very worried if he or she is giving you any extra thyroid hormone to help you lose weight if your TSH is now in range.
This can lead to a faster heart rate than is safe. You do not say what your age range is - if you are an older person it would be even more dangerous. Recent research, anyway, on older people, is finding that a wider reference range seems to be safer. Other recent research finds that even a FT4 at the higher end of normal range has risks when older

magsiesss

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who drive with fog lights on when its only a bit of mist
your doctor can prescribe to lower your TSH into the normal reference range - which is set by your area/country - but i would be very worried if he or she is giving you any extra thyroid hormone to help you lose weight if your TSH is now in range.
This can lead to a faster heart rate than is safe. You do not say what your age range is - if you are an older person it would be even more dangerous. Recent research, anyway, on older people, is finding that a wider reference range seems to be safer. Other recent research finds that even a FT4 at the higher end of normal range has risks when older
My thyroid is not in range .....

After having had 50 mcg Levo for 2 months and having had no weight loss - despite eating better and exercising - my TSH levels had increased whilst my BS levels went from 141 to 38 within 5 months ...