Freestyle Libre and Insulin Pump

AndyWatt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hearts
Hi all, I'm really considering getting the FreeStyle Libre and have been for quite a while now. I'm Type 1 and use the Medtronic Minimed Paradigm and I just wanted to make sure that the Libre would connect to my pump and send my results to it ? Thanks for any advice in advance.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @AndyWyatt, the only things that connect to Medtronic pumps are Enlite sensors and the Contour Meters. The Libre will not connect. Sorry!

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!
Hi, no, the Libre doesn't connect to pumps unfortunately (I'm on Minimed 640G and would find that feature brilliant too!). It does however work with an app on your phone so I never had to buy the Libre handset, just the actual sensors which has saved me a bit of money. Obviously it will only work with certain Smartphones so check which ones first! ;-)

Last edited:

AndyWatt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hearts
Hi Spicey245, I have been using the Libre for 2 weeks now and it actually runs out in the next hour. I got the Libre Reader and 1 sensor to try from my clinic and they told me to keep the reader and just get the sensors from Abbott FreeStyle if I wanted to continue using it ( and I am going to ). They downloaded the app on my phone when I was there but when I got home and started it with the reader, I didn't scan the sensor with my phone in the first 60mins, so I haven't had the joy of using my phone with it, but I will be using my phone when I get my new sensors. What do you think about the Libre and how accurate do you find it?

Sent from my SM-G920F using DCUK Forum mobile app

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks @tim2000s , I sent an email to FreeStyle but not heard anything back yet.
free style LIBRE is a stand along sensor last 14 days the hand set cost about £50-00 the sensors about the same one you have the handset it is recharger by mains this is my no 5 sensor .
but it is my mind the most real time blood sugar machine i know what it does can help to see blood sugars peaks and drops
and fine tune insulin to food ratios i.e. on a pump change bolus rates very steady with small increases same with carbs ratios and at the same time i still use my spirit combo handset to take blood strips and compare as you go along each day
as you know what is your blood sugar i have just done a scan 5.1 good but i had meal out with old work mates fish and chips did not give enough bolus so it was 16.0 gave another 3 units and used basel from 100% to 200% for 3 hours all back to normal
now ISARAL firm has and ear lob blood sugar constant monitor and a british firm has a finger monitor look
the on inter net , things are moving fast ..
hope this helps vic
59 years on insulin reply with any thing els e u need to known ..

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Spicey245, I have been using the Libre for 2 weeks now and it actually runs out in the next hour. I got the Libre Reader and 1 sensor to try from my clinic and they told me to keep the reader and just get the sensors from Abbott FreeStyle if I wanted to continue using it ( and I am going to ). They downloaded the app on my phone when I was there but when I got home and started it with the reader, I didn't scan the sensor with my phone in the first 60mins, so I haven't had the joy of using my phone with it, but I will be using my phone when I get my new sensors. What do you think about the Libre and how accurate do you find it?

what was the drink in your glass orange what was the carbs vic

Spicey245

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Working full time, fairground rides or anything which makes too much adrenaline!

Hi @AndyWatt, I find that if my sugars are pretty stable the libre is usually around 0.3 mmol different to my finger pricks. I believe if your sugars are rising or falling rapidly it obviously lags behind about 10 minutes (that's what I've found for me anyway). I can't fault it so far, absolutely love it. I'm currently on my 3rd sensor in total and I have 3 days left to run on this one. Would be nice if they weren't so expensive as I'd use it all the time if they weren't!