ESA payments. Chronically ill will not be re-tested.

• Thread starter catherinecherub
  • Start Date
C

catherinecherub

Tens of thousands of people claiming the main benefit for long-term sickness will no longer face repeated medical assessments to keep their payments.

Work and Pensions Secretary Damian Green said it was pointless to re-test recipients of Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) with severe conditions and no prospect of getting better.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37526324

catfan

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Too many to list.
Tens of thousands of people claiming the main benefit for long-term sickness will no longer face repeated medical assessments to keep their payments.

Work and Pensions Secretary Damian Green said it was pointless to re-test recipients of Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) with severe conditions and no prospect of getting better.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37526324

What the Govt isn't saying is that those rescources freed up by not re-assessing long term sickness claimants will be used to clamp down on other benefit recipients !

C

catherinecherub

Payments are going to be reduced for new claimants

"Payments for new ESA claimants will be reduced in April.
Currently, those in the "work-related activity group" - deemed unable to work at the moment but capable of making some effort to find employment - receive up to £102.15 a week in ESA payments.

Those in the "support group" - deemed unable to work and not obliged to do anything to improve their chances of finding work - receive up to £109.30 a week.
From April 2017, payments will fall to £73 for new claimants in the "work-related activity" category as ministers argue that too few people in the category are moving into work."

catfan

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Too many to list.
Typical of this uncaring I'm all right Jack govt.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
It will be more than interesting to see what medical conditions they class as chronic. By their own admission it would also imply that those with a chronic condition and not being reassessed would have to put in the support group so unless there are only one or two conditions that are classed as chronic it will cost the government a pretty penny as the support group do not need to look for work.

simsueuk22

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Payments are going to be reduced for new claimants

"Payments for new ESA claimants will be reduced in April.
Currently, those in the "work-related activity group" - deemed unable to work at the moment but capable of making some effort to find employment - receive up to £102.15 a week in ESA payments.

Those in the "support group" - deemed unable to work and not obliged to do anything to improve their chances of finding work - receive up to £109.30 a week.
From April 2017, payments will fall to £73 for new claimants in the "work-related activity" category as ministers argue that too few people in the category are moving into work."
the work related activity group is a utter waste of time .my husband had to go to onein our area
after he claimed for esa due to a accident at work he said it was a waste of his time due to
they didn't do any thing so I can see why the new claims don't mind going . but its also annoying
when they reduce the payments or a single person will get more then a couple like there done to us
I'm on long term esa and when my husband lost his case we was told his money will be stoped and my £110.25 a week
will have keep both of us I get full housing benfit but I still lose £20 for my service charges so the money that's left is for gas electric and food which we need as were are both diabetic

DavidGorman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds great, I'm a Tetraplegic/Quadraplegic and had assessment forms two years running and only been paralysed the last 24 years...... Don't think I'm going to walk anytime soon like....

Reactions: Angelofthemarches
M

mist

Good, hopefully it will weed out all those milking the system and force them to get an actual job! And the money will go to those deserving of it.

M

ME_Valentijn

Good, hopefully it will weed out all those milking the system and force them to get an actual job! And the money will go to those deserving of it.
Benefit fraud accounts for a tiny fraction of the benefit expenditure, typically under 1%. Reducing the money spent on a benefit system (aside from reducing assessment frequency) is going to have to come from kicking out some of the people who need it, or overall reductions. Inflating the appearance of the rate of fraud is useful for getting the public to support the culling cuts, however.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
If I have diabetes type 1 can i recive benefits? Thank you

Type 1 doesn't give you automatic entitlement to any benefits unless you have complications. Do you?

sarah1990

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I was first diagnosed I did receive a disability allowance. But it stoped not long after because apprantly I was ok and didn't need much looking after!? I was 11 I didn't have a clue what my life was going to be like :'-(