Do you ride a motorbike?

vagabanjo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Diagnosed aged 15, rode a moped aged 16, then a 250 motorbike, at 17 I past my car test, now at 52 I have been riding motorbikes for the past 5 years. I past the IAM motorbike test 3 months ago and regularly ride with advanced riders. I am interested how many others ride a motorbike and what challenges they have experienced. - Andy...

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Jaylee
So what sort car do you have a few of my mates have a sky line 480bhp and civics. As I live about 45 min drive from brands hatch And have done a few track days One of the best Nissan gtr the grip and speed AWESOME lol

Hi,

Lol. Nothing that tasty I'm afraid. I'm into the Mazda Bongo scene. The general practicality of the design is suitable for touring & camping? Had a 2.5 TD 4x4 for 10 years, & just recently aquired a newer petrol Aero model..
I can't fault the road handling though.. Certainly less scary than throwing a Transit round bends.!

Reactions: jjraak

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
I used to ride a Buel Firebolt....it was truly ace:)

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
welcome back stranger... didn't realise you were a biker too..Is that the XB12R? I used to have one too..

Yes a white one with that amazing belt drive and the Eric Buel engine inspired by his time at HD:).....wonderful days.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes a white one with that amazing belt drive and the Eric Buel engine inspired by his time at HD:).....wonderful days.
Mine was black and great until the electrics went and became very unreliable.. It left hubby stranded in Trafalgar Square one day and he had to push it a long way back to where he was working. Needless to say it went fairly soon after that. Also had the pleasure of one of the younger Mr Warr's of the dealership in Chelsea telling us to f**k off and never return when it went back there for the fourth or fifth time.. great customer service.

Brillpaul

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Ariel Arrow, BSA Goldstar, GSXR Slingshot , BMW R80RT......Honda 500cb.....at present (only the Honda!).

So far no issues with Lada (the diabetes not the car )

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mine was black and great until the electrics went and became very unreliable.. It left hubby stranded in Trafalgar Square one day and he had to push it a long way back to where he was working. Needless to say it went fairly soon after that. Also had the pleasure of one of the younger Mr Warr's of the dealership in Chelsea telling us to f**k off and never return when it went back there for the fourth or fifth time.. great customer service.

He sounds lovely:(

Reactions: bulkbiker

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Kawasaki Er6n, first "big" bike after getting my A licence in June. Love it :)

No issues wrt diabetes and riding. Neither insurance for driving or riding appears to have been affected. Insurance for my Audi S2 Coupe (220bhp) is just ~£180 and I'm 25...

To travel super light when riding, I take my Dario Smart meter and insulin pens. They take up so little space that I don't even know I'm carrying anything. Glucose tablets in the other pocket and off we go!

Grant

Reactions: archersuz

Deespee23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
BMW R1200RT - been off the road for a couple of years now in process of recomissioning (so I can sell it and get another Tonti Guzzi Le Mans - probably mk.2 'cos the mk.1s are silly money these days...). Been riding since 1973 and ain't gonna stop just yet, thank you!!!

mibby

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had bikes as a kid and got back into it in 1993 with a Suzuki 650 Savage. Since then I've had a Suzuki 1400 Intruder, Harley 1200 Sportster, Harley Super Glide, Triumph Rocket III (proper mental!), Harley V-Rod, Triumph new Bonneville and currently a Triumph 900 Thunderbird.

Never had any issues riding, but have had a couple of horrible lows (1.9!) at bike rallies after too much beer/not enough food... :)

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
BMW R1200RT - been off the road for a couple of years now in process of recomissioning (so I can sell it and get another Tonti Guzzi Le Mans - probably mk.2 'cos the mk.1s are silly money these days...). Been riding since 1973 and ain't gonna stop just yet, thank you!!!
Just seen your post.. if you are interested (long shot) I have this for sale at the mo...
http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C767443 dunno if it tempts.. could negotiate a bit on price..

Reactions: Deespee23

Deespee23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks
Just seen your post.. if you are interested (long shot) I have this for sale at the mo...
http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C767443 dunno if it tempts.. could negotiate a bit on price..

Thanks for the link BB - a nice bike and some other really nice bikes on there - I've bookmarked it. Did you know the diagonal stripes on the LM tanks were "invented" by Coburn & Hughes (Long legged and easy to live with....)

upload_2016-11-1_22-48-59.png

to jazz up a number of Mk2's they couldn't shift (remember the black/gold ones?........if only, if only...). Yours is a square barrel - I'm really after a round barrel but anyway, got to get rid of the BMW first - but thanks for thinking of me. You never know, when I've got rid of the "Bayerische Basta*d" - I might return to have another think about it. I remember when Elite Motors in Tooting had a load of G5s (basically a T3 with a Cali screen & panniers but ordinary footrests and were knocking 'em out for £1250 brand-spanking-new in 1982....:bigtears:)

Cheers

Last edited: