Away from UK for 20 years Insulin pump CGM driving UK?

.gurley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone. I was diagnosed with type 1 Diabetes in the UK when I was 23. I have been on insulin since then and overall with good control. For the past six years I have had an insulin pump that was issued to me in Ireland due to me running low quite a lot! My Hb1ac results have been good since on the pump 5.0 to 5.6 on average. My reason for the post is in relation to driving in the UK 3 years ago I moved from Ireland to Cyprus and I now have a pump upgrade here to CGM constant blood glucose monitoring. I have heard different things in relation to driving in the UK and am aware of glucose in the car and doing blood tests etc. curious as my Medtronic pump issued to me by Cyprus hospital has an alarm for low blood sugar which is set so it goes off if I am heading low at 4.4 ml. Since being on this type of pump it has been very effective and I have had no Hypo events! Over to you folks in the UK as it would be interesting to hear your views etc. I may be coming over soon and want to be up to gate so to speak. Also looks as if some of the rules are a bit over the top and possibly made by people without Medical expertise in the area.

Last edited:

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome @.gurley :)

I haven't renewed my licence for a couple of years, but I understand that fingerprick tests are needed before/during driving. Let me tag some other Type 1s for you @noblehead @himtoo

I have an insulin pump but no CGM.

Reactions: gvintagedrken

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
DVLA will not accept CGM readings. Perhaps look at the DVLA web site as all relevant info is available there.
my Medtronic pump issued to me by Cyprus hospital has an alarm for low blood sugar which is set so it goes off if I am heading low at 3.4 ml.
Considering the CGM is on average 20mins behind a finger poke you are not heading for a low at 3.4 but already well and truly hypo.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
As far as I'm aware it's still a finger prick test here in the UK @.gurley, but I don't think the rules are OTT as they are there to keep everyone on the roads safe.

col101

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes finger prick test required before driving and every two hours when driving. It's only OK to drive if test is at least 5.0

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Above 5.0 to drive and recorded on a blood meter.

Dont think our professionals would be happy with a hypo warning at 3.4. I wouldn't. My thoughts are to stop a hypo and keep levels above 4.0.

.gurley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi

made a typo there!!! 4.4! my pump is the latest and it suspends insulin supply for two hours if you hit that level, it also has a predictive feature which warns if you are heading low. Just wondered if DVLC were aware of advances in regard to driving. I test a lot anyway so have done tests before driving here in Cyprus as aware of hazards. Also driven in about ten different countries with same regime.

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hi

made a typo there!!! 4.4! my pump is the latest and it suspends insulin supply for two hours if you hit that level, it also has a predictive feature which warns if you are heading low. Just wondered if DVLC were aware of advances in regard to driving. I test a lot anyway so have done tests before driving here in Cyprus as aware of hazards. Also driven in about ten different countries with same regime.
DVLA are fully aware and as you know or should know CGM is not 100% accurate the reading you get is at least 20 mins behind an instant finger poke test. You should also as stated by the manufactures test your blood sugar before taking any clinical action (correction or hypo treatment) which basically means the manufactures are more that aware they are no accurate, hence why the DVLA quite rightly say finger pokes.

Crystalwand

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi

I want what you have I am on a pump omnipod, for five weeks now, great but yours sound even better, oh well next time maybe just saying

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

.gurley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I want what you have I am on a pump omnipod, for five weeks now, great but yours sound even better, oh well next time maybe just saying

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app
I think my one has been surpassed now with waterproof version and I believe Medtronic are trialling one that is as close to an artificial Pancreas with improved CGM as you can get. so hang on in there the technology is improving. All pumps have their issues but my last Hb1ac was in the normal sugar range. I have got used to it and have a handle on dual and square wave bolus and the manual ones that are my decision. What i am pleased with is no Hypo in two years. Google Medtronic and see what you think.