Type 1 - ESA?

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
From experience taking to people, unless your doctor puts up a fight in your defence, they pretty much can get away with anything. A carer on income supoort I know was recently told she had to find a job by job centre plus despite legislation that says otherwise. Law unto themselves.

Reactions: gvintagedrken

seantinker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
For uncontrolled diabetes nothing has changed lost appeal suffer high and low sugers regualy and have eye condition too causing some sight problems dizzy and tired spells

sd29

With regret, I have to claim ESA and PIP due to multiple health issues including T1 and find the system very frustrating. I'm probably teaching you to suck eggs, but...

When filling out your application, or appeal, look at the grading descriptors (https://www.sense.org.uk/content/esa-descriptors-determine-whether-you-have-limited-capability-work) and think about your worst days. You need to evidence the challenges you face, and having hypos and hypers isn't usually enough, it's the way they affect your life.

Think about if you've ever been so low you've become unconscious, do you need help to treat a hypo, do you have hypo awareness, do the dizzy spells prevent you from leading a normal life? That sort of thing. Does the eye condition cause you to avoid certain activities? Have you a precedent where you're prone to DKA? Any neuropathic issues? What effects does having these issues have on your state of mind? Do you get anxious leaving the house or driving / using piblic transport 'just in case'? That side is important too.

The main thing is to provide clear and concise evidence - don't be stoic, be honest about how it affects you. Diabetes alone as a condition rarely qualifies - it's how your life is impacted by it and what you can/can't do because of your conditions that is assessed.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
Sorry you have lost ESA.
I have also lost my ESA and lost PIP after claiming PIP 3 times even after going to trubinal 3 times.
I am type 2 and Did, t claim for that. I had claimed for bipolar. I get days where I am so bad with my bipolar that even my pdoc says I am incapable of even looking after myself.

ladybird64

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Dishonesty, selfishness and lack of empathy.
From experience taking to people, unless your doctor puts up a fight in your defence, they pretty much can get away with anything. A carer on income supoort I know was recently told she had to find a job by job centre plus despite legislation that says otherwise. Law unto themselves.

Does the carer receive Carer's Allowance? If not, I'm afraid DWP are legally allowed to make this person look for work. The system absolutely stinks.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I hope you manage to support your claim. If you feel its too much seek a welfare support officer to help you fill appeal docs in.

Em1981

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Does the carer receive Carer's Allowance? If not, I'm afraid DWP are legally allowed to make this person look for work. The system absolutely stinks.

I claim carers for my boys, both have ASD
I am still made to go to the job centre every few months for a work assessment, which generally ends in me crying through frustration. I am lucky that I get DLA for my eldest but it makes me feel **** each and every time I go.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I claim carers for my boys, both have ASD
I am still made to go to the job centre every few months for a work assessment, which generally ends in me crying through frustration. I am lucky that I get DLA for my eldest but it makes me feel **** each and every time I go.
Why? Do they make you feel that way then? If so that needs addressing. They should be asking if there is anything they can help with IF you want to return to work! That is the sole purpose of that appointment. Don't feel under duress hun. You tell them what your capable of. Afterall if they had to have those people you care for for free it would cost them much much more. You are saving them thousands!
Stand tall carer. Be proud of the job you already do. Most people cannot cope with 2 jobs, permanently.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Sorry you have lost ESA.
I have also lost my ESA and lost PIP after claiming PIP 3 times even after going to trubinal 3 times.
I am type 2 and Did, t claim for that. I had claimed for bipolar. I get days where I am so bad with my bipolar that even my pdoc says I am incapable of even looking after myself.
Any developments @ally1 ?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I have my ESA reinstated, turned out it should never have stopped. Though I am due for a re assessment over the next few weeks.
On Monday, I went for another PIP face to face assessment. So I will see what the outcome will be this time
Well done. ;)