Utterly Normal Blood Sugars

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tests of "normal " people , show that they send 91% of the time under 6.7 mmol and 99% of the time under 7.8 mmol

I have just recorded a "normal " week for the first time ever - under 6.7mmol 91% under 7.8 mmol 100% !

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's great @CherryAA
I also am trying to aim at normal but there seems to be so many different definitions of normal. When I complained to a GP that I could still spike up to 9 an hour or an hour after a meal I was told that was normal. That was when I got my first "normal" HbA1c. I presume I need to get a libre and see what is actually happening as with finger tests I won't be finding my peak. Anyway well done and keep it up.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have found the following things work

Low carb (( under 30g) Moderate protein ( under 70 g) balance fats - no restriction on saturated
Being in a state of ketosis or 0.5 or above during the day (0.2 on waking)
having a calorie deficit of around 1000 calories
eating only 2 meals a day with a fairly narrow eating window
eating before 7pm without alcohol
eating after 7pm needs to be coupled with some alcohol - whisky /wine in moderate quantities
No late night snacking
My enhanced bullet proof coffee to stave off hunger pangs where necessary ( the recipe has been posted on here )

using this approach my fasting blood sugars say under around 5.5 , my morning liver dump still keeps me within normal range and after about 2 pm I'm back to around 5.5 or below for the rest of the day.

My goal is to try to get to under 5.5 before bed the previous night , which gives me a good starting point the next day.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't really do any of those things. My carbs the last time I counted was about 100g a day, though when I was first diagnosed and trying to lose weight it was about 50g a day, Having had to put weight on I'm now trying to keep it stable although possibly lose the couple of lbs which I put on over Christmas. When I was at my lowest weight I could eat anything but according to GP I was showing signs of being malnourished so told to put on weight. I just do moderate carbs with plenty of walking.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done @CherryAA that is excellent. :)

The problem I see with my Libre percentages is that whilst my last one said I spent 98% under 7 and only 2% above 7, with an estimated HbA1c of 33mmol/mol , I know I haven't arrived at truly normal yet. Eating something as simple as a bread bun tells me so, and my HbA1c was actually 41!

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done @CherryAA that is excellent. :)

The problem I see with my Libre percentages is that whilst my last one said I spent 98% under 7 and only 2% above 7, with an estimated HbA1c of 33mmol/mol , I know I haven't arrived at truly normal yet. Eating something as simple as a bread bun tells me so, and my HbA1c was actually 41!

I don't for an instant think that I'm cured :) and I know that the libre seem to be a bit generous to say the least ; my last official HbA1c was 44 , Having said all that, my readings are definitely responding to my diet and my diet is going well, and this is the first time that libre said to me " you could be normal" and definitely the first time I've spent a whole week under 7.8 on libre . I do like to celebrate the positive if I can :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't for an instant think that I'm cured :) and I know that the libre seem to be a bit generous to say the least ; my last official HbA1c was 44 , Having said all that, my readings are definitely responding to my diet and my diet is going well, and this is the first time that libre said to me " you could be normal" and definitely the first time I've spent a whole week under 7.8 on libre . I do like to celebrate the positive if I can :)

and so you should celebrate, it is a great achievement. One thing I love the Libre for isn't the actual numbers it comes up with because I know they aren't right, but they are consistent. The variability between the lows and highs and the flatness or otherwise of the graph lines are what is important.. I love the small waves and gentle curves. I don't like the big bumps! :)

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't had any big bumps for days, just a gentle rise for the morning dump, a gentle fall as I recover from that in the afternoon. my food barely nudges the needle morning or evening . which is excellent !

Reactions: Fola220_

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't had any big bumps for days, just a gentle rise for the morning dump, a gentle fall as I recover from that in the afternoon. my food barely nudges the needle morning or evening . which is excellent !

I've had one or two bumps because I am part time with my Libre and I make use of it to experiment from time to time. Some of the experiments have failed, hence the bumps. Some haven't, so that is good. I also wear one when I'm on holiday, partly because of the convenience of not needing to finger prick as much, and partly because my routine is different.

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Its interesting how quickly one starts to think - well nothing much I am eating is affecting it so maybe I could save money by using it intermittently.

However for me, the sensor acts as a permanent reminder not to open the fridge door because now it sitting there I know that I will be stuck with looking at the consequences of that action for weeks to come. That is especially true of the later night snack, like now , my blood sugar is 4.7 , if I don't eat anything it will stay around there all night and tomorrow will be a good day. If I have a snack, then my fasting blood sugar will be at least 1 mmol higher and tomorrow will be the worst day for a week!

I know it is the thing that has kept me trying to diet, despite it being so hard to shift weight recently, because if I eat much the blood sugars go up to. I think it has been that which has kept my weight stable for the last couple of months My suspicion is that the monitor is going to be permanent. like having a little angel whispering in my ear 24/7

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
O the libre sensor accuracy front - my 30 day reading for average blood sugar agreed totally with the Hba1 reading of 40 yesterday (5.8%)

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Its a precarious balance though. I can add one mmol to my average blood sugars for the next two days just by eating late one night ! - I guess keeping it lo is going to take an iron will ! oh well - needs must :)

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just a thought @CherryAA
If you continue to lose weight (if you still need to) it may well improve things for you. I didn't meed to lose a lot of weight but when I got my BMI down to 19.6 I found I could eat a lot of things I had needed to avoid and even now with a BMI of about 21 I am still able to have a normal HbA1c. I am a lot less restrictive over food than I was though still very careful.

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
Its interesting how quickly one starts to think - well nothing much I am eating is affecting it so maybe I could save money by using it intermittently.

However for me, the sensor acts as a permanent reminder not to open the fridge door because now it sitting there I know that I will be stuck with looking at the consequences of that action for weeks to come. That is especially true of the later night snack, like now , my blood sugar is 4.7 , if I don't eat anything it will stay around there all night and tomorrow will be a good day. If I have a snack, then my fasting blood sugar will be at least 1 mmol higher and tomorrow will be the worst day for a week!

I know it is the thing that has kept me trying to diet, despite it being so hard to shift weight recently, because if I eat much the blood sugars go up to. I think it has been that which has kept my weight stable for the last couple of months My suspicion is that the monitor is going to be permanent. like having a little angel whispering in my ear 24/7
I have had exactly that experience! Was stupid and had a late night snack of Camembert and walnuts at 9pm, only to wake up to BG of 6.3 when its usually 5.4-5.9... The libre is exactly like a little angel who wants me to be healthy... It has helped me so much...

Reactions: Freema

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do find not eating a late night snack is hard, butthe results make such a big difference to blood sugars. so its worth trying! - if the sensor helps then its worth the £50 !

CherryAA

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just a thought @CherryAA
If you continue to lose weight (if you still need to) it may well improve things for you. I didn't meed to lose a lot of weight but when I got my BMI down to 19.6 I found I could eat a lot of things I had needed to avoid and even now with a BMI of about 21 I am still able to have a normal HbA1c. I am a lot less restrictive over food than I was though still very careful.

I'm so far away from 21 as to be talking different planets at present. I will be very pleased if I ever manage under 30 !

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm so far away from 21 as to be talking different planets at present. I will be very pleased if I ever manage under 30 !

You are doing so well. Amazing to have totally normal blood sugars in only 6 months. Your weight loss is also very good and hopefully with your excellent management this will continue.

Reactions: CherryAA and Freema