Celeriac

Linda_N

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have just persuaded myself to give this ugly looking brute a chance. I will try making Celeriac mash later in the week and found a recipe on Great British Chefs for Bayonne (or Parma) ham and Celeriac remoulade which has made my mouth water. Tonight I will make Celeriac crisps that I can nibble while watching NASCAR tonight. Next week it will be sweet potato.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I only started eating it recently, and was pleasantly surprised.
But allow a few extra minutes for preparing it. The peeling is surprisingly awkward. Or maybe I am just hamfisted? ;)

It was fabulous cubed in a stew. Absorbed the juices beautifully. But I was less impressed with the 'chips'. Although I think I will try them again with a few spices... Still not yet had it raw in a salad, but have heard good things.

Ultramum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
But allow a few extra minutes for preparing it. The peeling is surprisingly awkward. Or maybe I am just hamfisted? ;)

I use a knife to cut the outside edges off rather than a peeler

But I was less impressed with the 'chips'. Although I think I will try them again with a few spices...

I use an actifry. I put the chips in a bag with some oil and paprika - give it a good shake and then cook them - scrummy:)

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I use a big sharp knife to cut off slices, then a small knife to go around the edge removing the skin.
I usually eat it raw, as I love the smell of it when freshly cut or grated.

Angelofthemarches

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Horrible shoes
Love celeriac! Mashed with philly and a pat of butter. Remoulade would be great, especially with home made mayo.

Reactions: covknit

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

RosieLKH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love all things celeriac. Mashed, roasted, in soups and stews and in the summer grated in mayo like they sell in France. Had it this week as a topping for fish pie.

Reactions: daisyduck

Voodoorising

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I made Celeriac mash for the first time tonight to try it. I made it like you would normal potato mash with pepper butter and some cream. I tasted good but but I decided to add 2 large teaspoons of Dijon Mustard and it was the icing on the cake it's was really nice I think it's just replaced sweet potato mash. I am going to try and do som wedges or chips to see how they are.

Catherine4188

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I cool the celeriac in milk to make the mash as it means you get a nicer texture, I also whizz it rather than just mash it. I add salt and that's it. Lush. I prefer it to potato mash.

I have also discovered the wonders of butternut squash in the last few weeks. I've always loved it but I'm using it to substitute for potato or sweet potato for making wedges or oven chips. It tastes like sweet potato when roasted with oil and salt. But it's only about 15g carbs per 200g of roasted squash.

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
I love celeriac as well. It's a long time since I had it, so I looked it up on Fat Secret and found...
per 100 g - Calories: 42kcal | Fat: 0.30g | Carbs: 9.20g | Prot: 1.50g
I'm very disappointed as that's just not any good for my keto diet, I suppose it's with being the root.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't count the fibre - as I can't digest it, so it is about 7 percent carbs - and well worth the fight to get into it.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
According to Calorie King Australia: 100g peeled/boiled celeriac:

41 cals/171 kj
3g carbohydrates
5.5g fibre
1.7g protein