Fasting is just stupid..... says my husband!

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
I've started in intermittent fasting, so after my breakfast yesterday I didn't eat until 19.40 My husband who knows NOTHING about LCHF or Fasting and doesn't want to know says I'm wrong. Well the proof is in the pudding (So to speak, I've not had any pudding!)
readings yesterday:
Fasting @ 05.44 (awake extra early) 8.1 (have been in the high 9's)
Full cooked breakfast @ 9am
No lunch
Aqua zumba @ 15.00
BS @ 16.12 6.4
BS before tea @ 19.35 (roast chicken and lots of above ground veg) 6.9
BS after meal @21.58 8.1

Approx: Cals 458 Protein 43.6 Carbs 5.3 Fat 36.3

FBS this morning at 7.30am 7.9

No breakfast, but a small coffee and double cream

Lunch at 13.00 Full cooked

I was told again that I'm not eating properly. Tea will be cold chicken and a lot of veg.... He had high carbs for lunch and probably will for tea too....

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are those numbers a lot different from what your normal day would be like?

Reactions: Freema

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Well done @berylc you have made a great start. Those high BG levels will soon be a thing of the past. If you want to know ANYTHING about fasting ask @bulkbiker he's done all of the research for us

Reactions: aliadnan and berylc

Jamesuk9

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your husband is talking out of his hat.... LCHF and IF are most certainly the most effective and quickest way to achieve better control.

That said, if you're on meds you'll need to monitor closely as the drops can be significant and quick.

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My hubby hates it when I fast too. He knows better than to argue though ;)
He did a subtle sabotage last time I was 20 hours into a 24 hour fast.. he put a really lovely French cookery program on the TV ! I hadn't been hungry until I watched that !

Reactions: hankjam

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Mr B was terrified that I would hypo if I fasted.
Nearly a year later, I have not had one fasting related hypo, although if I eat too many carbs, I will hypo. Eating carbs causes them (for me), but fasting doesn't.

I think the 'you must eat regular meals' is a weird idea. I mean, the human race has survived in spite of fasting and famine, glut and seasonal eating patterns for the whole of its history. Missing lunch is no biggie, is it?

Reactions: 13lizanne and Chook

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
My husband used to worry when I fasted but as I've done it so often he now just asks that I have breakfast at the weekends. He always knows when I've fasted by the enthusiastic way I eat my dinner on those evenings.

I actually fine that watching cookery programmes, reading recipe books or planning menus helps with the fasting munchies.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Intermittent fasting is amazing. I only learned this through the forum:)

Lunch and dinner (typically no breakfast) and my BG has never been so good. Nothing after 1800 and lunch (or should I call it break-fast) at 1200.

Don't get me wrong, I still eat a lot of things I shouldn't - but intermittent fasting is the way to go:) In my opinion anyhow.

Reactions: AM1874 and therower

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
Mr B was terrified that I would hypo if I fasted.
Nearly a year later, I have not had one fasting related hypo, although if I eat too many carbs, I will hypo. Eating carbs causes them (for me), but fasting doesn't.

I think the 'you must eat regular meals' is a weird idea. I mean, the human race has survived in spite of fasting and famine, glut and seasonal eating patterns for the whole of its history. Missing lunch is no biggie, is it?
No, I've never had a fasting related hypo either. But it's possible that I don't get them because I don't o anything strenuous when I'm fasting.

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
Was harder this afternoon. Went to the local sports centre to watch grandson on the inflatable in the pool. Sitting behind me were 2 young girls with bag of chips each, the smell was wonderful!
Now home and cut up the bread pudding cake that my grandson made, again the smell..... Didn't even eat one sultana! He's taking the cake home with him, safer that way?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Was harder this afternoon. Went to the local sports centre to watch grandson on the inflatable in the pool. Sitting behind me were 2 young girls with bag of chips each, the smell was wonderful!
Now home and cut up the bread pudding cake that my grandson made, again the smell..... Didn't even eat one sultana! He's taking the cake home with him, safer that way?
If you keep it up after a few days you won't notice as I said I haven;t had breakfast for over 15 months (except for a week when we were on hols and it was included with the hotel so skipped lunch instead). I just don't even think about it any more. Couple of mugs of tea and I'm away for the day.

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
If you keep it up after a few days you won't notice as I said I haven;t had breakfast for over 15 months (except for a week when we were on hols and it was included with the hotel so skipped lunch instead). I just don't even think about it any more. Couple of mugs of tea and I'm away for the day.[/QUOTE[/QUOTE

Are the folllowing carbs, protein etc ok for the day.
What do you think? I do low carbs most days, I was being bad at work and having a pudding, but no more! I'm on track again :)

Reactions: hankjam

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Are the folllowing carbs, protein etc ok for the day.
What do you think? I do low carbs most days, I was being bad at work and having a pudding, but no more! I'm on track again :)
I would try for a bit more fat and cals .. you're doing intermittent fasting not full on!
Then again if you feel ok and not to hungry then go for it...
Next time I fast I'll do my macros for the day and see how much I actually take in with my creamy coffees etc...

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I would try for a bit more fat and cals .. you're doing intermittent fasting not full on!
Then again if you feel ok and not to hungry then go for it...
Next time I fast I'll do my macros for the day and see how much I actually take in with my creamy coffees etc...

What would you suggest? Can't have nuts or pork scratchings, waiting for a dentist appointment because of scratchings!

Reactions: 13lizanne