Blood glucose type 2

Lizzy Loo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm struggling with sugars after gym work out. Going down to 3-7. Have had to start topping up with lucozade. First time in two and a half years

Lenah_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I get lows when I work out strenuously too. Zumba always drops me down to 3ish, but I love it so I persevere. I find that bringing an apple juice box to Zumba helps. I sip on it throughout the class.

Lizzy Loo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes I'm on metformin & glicazide. I have changed my gym so maybe working out a bit harder. Been told by Diatician I'm eating right foods but just top up with a few mouthfuls of lucozade before.

Lizzy Loo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I get lows when I work out strenuously too. Zumba always drops me down to 3ish, but I love it so I persevere. I find that bringing an apple juice box to Zumba helps. I sip on it throughout the class.

Lizzy Loo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi lenah my first time on here asking questions. I have changed my gym but my sugars are dropping lower. I take fruit with me but was told a drink works faster. Diatician send have three sips of lucozade before. Been told I'm eating the right foods.

Lizzy Loo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Hi Alison yes I'm on metformin & glicazide. Changed my gym but sugars are going lower. Diatician told me to have a few mouthfuls of lucozade before exercise

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is not something I totally understand so please forgive my ignorance - but you are a type 2 getting hypos due to the medication you are on preventing your liver restoring normal levels of glucose after exercise.
Perhaps you should discus this with your doctor, to see if it is something which ought to be dealt with by adjusting the medication level or the timing of it rather than fending it off with sugary drinks.

Reactions: Lizzy Loo

Lizzy Loo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Now I understand, you would not want to be too low on Glicazide.

I am almost always 3.5 to 4.5 after exercise. But on no medication my liver will not let me get too low.

Ok thank you I wasn't sure what levels should be after exercise. But I was told 4 or under there is a risk of hypos.

Reactions: Alison Campbell

Lizzy Loo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is not something I totally understand so please forgive my ignorance - but you are a type 2 getting hypos due to the medication you are on preventing your liver restoring normal levels of glucose after exercise.
Perhaps you should discus this with your doctor, to see if it is something which ought to be dealt with by adjusting the medication level or the timing of it rather than fending it off with sugary drinks.

Lizzy Loo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for your advice. The Diatician thought it could be the glicazide. But because I take it in the evening and not morning she said it wouldn't be that. It was her that advised sugary drinks. And the trainers in the gym. But only a few mouthfuls. But medication is some thing to consider thank you

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ok thank you I wasn't sure what levels should be after exercise. But I was told 4 or under there is a risk of hypos.

That sounds fine and many on blood glucose lowing medication would not drive below 5, I believe. It might be worth checking this with a med professional now your levels are falling.

It sounds like your gym routine is really working for you.

Reactions: Lizzy Loo

Lizzy Loo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That sounds fine and many on blood glucose lowing medication would not drive below 5, I believe. It might be worth checking this with a med professional now your levels are falling.

It sounds like your gym routine is really working for you.

Lizzy Loo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes gym is good I went on the x-pert course a few years back. I learnt a lot went down three dress sizes and lost two stone. You are right about driving if your under 5 don't drive. Found out 8 years ago was diabetic it was a shock. I've changed my gym only since going there my sugars are dropping. Couldn't reduce my medication at Xmas cause I had gone up. I was 52 overall count but had gone up to 55. The drs said count should be about 49 stress affects me big time