Phinney and Volek start new online health practise

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would say the jury is out on the major causes, many believe cholesterol is a major contributor, and saturated fats.

Have you checked out any of Zoe Harcombe's work on that issue?
The video I posted from Low Carb Breckenridge had a pretty damning indictment of the diet-heart hypothesis.. but maybe a mere PHD isn't qualified enough to satisfy your exacting standards..
I would repost the link for you but you probably wouldn't watch it anyway...oh yes also the Ex-president of the World Heart Federation said much the same..but hey what does he know.

Reactions: Ultramum and Indy51

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@bulkbiker I'd appreciate a reposting of Zoe Harcombe, Ph.D.'s lecture. I thought it was within this topic, but appears not. I think it belongs here too. I believe it's the best overview to date of the evidence. And it really helped that she made her points very concisely and at a slower pace. Still struggled to keep up, but it was doable. I really need to start a library of my favorite lectures. I'd put this one in my top ten. :)

Reactions: Ultramum

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Winnie53 I was 46 when diagnosed, just about 2 yrs back. And had all the typical symptoms of T2D, extreme thirst, frequent urination, exhaustion, numbness hands and feets, night perspiration, heart palpitation, persistent ulcers, brain fog, skin thickening and darken around the knuckles etc..

Typical day
Breakfast - eggs and cheese
Lunck - roast pork belly or fish/veg
Dinner - roast pork belly or ribeye steak.

When I fast, I typically skip dinner or breakfast. I will eat lunch. So it would be more than 16 hours.

Pre-meal is usually below 6 mmol
Post-meal around 6 mmol, unless I have rice/noodles with the roast pork belly. Then it can spike up to 8 mmol or higher. I keep this to about once a week...on the weekends.

I generally believe in the flawed logic that Jenny Ruhl, Dr Bernstein and Dr Joseph Kraft has regarding normal glucose level and elevated insulin levels...and try to use that as my guide.

When it does goes up higher...I drink raw puer tea which will help bring it back down to 5 mmol or less.
https://myhba1c.wordpress.com/2016/05/23/raw-puer-tea-for-glucose-control/

Weight has remained fairly constant around 74-76 kg. So it is not due to weight loss either.

Fasting BG has been stable around 5.5mmol, closer to 4.5mmol only on extended multiday fast.

Wow, I am really impressed with the tight control you're maintaining. I remember reading about the puer tea here on the forum. It's interesting. Thank you for taking the time to share your methods, experiences, and results. I've recommitted to doing the ketogenic diet for the purpose of losing more weight. Curious as to whether or not it improve my glucose levels. Time will tell.

Will share your blog post with my diabetes group. I enjoy your writing style. :)

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Wow, I am really impressed with the tight control you're maintaining. I remember reading about the puer tea here on the forum. It's interesting. Thank you for taking the time to share your methods, experiences, and results. I've recommitted to doing the ketogenic diet for the purpose of losing more weight. Curious as to whether or not it improve my glucose levels. Time will tell.

Will share your blog post with my diabetes group. I enjoy your writing style. :)

Yes, I'm a fan of pu'er tea. Still contains caffeine though, so I tend not to drink it at night.

Reactions: Winnie53

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Winnie53 Glad that you enjoyed my blog post. Hopefully some of them will find something useful from it...

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Maybe if the pill says "to be taken with roast pork belly only and no exercise" there may be takers...

Sadly, it would probably be amazingly popular.
Particularly if it came with a free couch and tv.
Like I said, that's what got me to T2.

S

serenity648

I haven't moved any more than before my diagnosis...I simply ate less carbs and more heavenly fats...its definitely the diet that cause mine... :D
Me to. I have ME and exercise is just not going to happen, but my Blood sugar levels have been good for months since also ate less carbs and more fats.

Reactions: kokhongw
S

serenity648

Sadly, it would probably be amazingly popular.
Particularly if it came with a free couch and tv.
Like I said, that's what got me to T2.
Sincerely Douglas, why do you refuse to believe people when they say they have problems with their HCP's, or that they control their diabetes through diet only? or anything else which conflicts with your personal experience? You have said elsewhere that you have only your surgery checkups, so you have no way of knowing what the current or weekly state of your diabetes is, or your spikes.

And I find your comment about couches and TV's insulting. People on here, who are commenting, are not being lazy or, by that inference, bringing their diabetes on themselves.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
They are having really promising results.
In Virta’s clinical trial with Indiana University Health Arnett, 56% of our patients achieved an HbA1c below 6.5% within 10 weeks. Of those taking insulin, 87% of trial participants either reduced or eliminated insulin entirely.

So while we are not ready to say we have a “cure” for diabetes, we at the very least should discuss the possibility—and the data—supporting the idea that diabetes can be reversed without medications and without surgery.

http://blog.virtahealth.com/type-2-diabetes-can-be-reversed/

I found it interesting that Sami Inkinen is a Triathlon world champion who developed prediabetes...so he couldn't really eat less and move more...

Last edited:
Reactions: Ultramum

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Virta has just released a series of success stories with the program...here is one of them...

Reactions: Indy51

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow @kokhongw I clicked on the YouTube icon and listened to all the testimonials. Your timing couldn't have been more perfect.

An old acquaintance called tonight. She'd been in the hospital for a week with a life threatening infection. She's very lucky to have survived. Nothing she was telling me made sense until she shared that they were injecting her with insulin in the hospital. I pressed her for a number. She said they'd mentioned today that her most recent glucose level was 179 mg/dL, which is a bit concerning given that she hasn't resumed eating yet. She's still sleeping a lot. Going to send her a link to these testimonials. We're going to get together this weekend to discuss what she can do to begin managing her diabetes.

What I love about these videos is that anyone can get the support they need to do what these people have accomplished, right here, and the best part? It's free. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: kokhongw

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Winnie53 Wish your friend speedy recovery!

Yes, what Virta's team is doing is largely similar to what has often been shared here.

Hopefully their model will prove to be scalable and that the success we have experienced and seen here is not simply anecdotal.

Lord Midas

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Idiots. Morons. Flat Earthers. Religious fanatics. Trump. Bigots. Misogynists. And other assorted bad types.
Yes, this is an awesome venture. I hope it works (and why wouldn't it) and that the World takes notice and discovers that drugs aren't the answer, but proper nutrition, and the death-knell of the lies about our current nutritional guidelines.

Sami Inkinen, and his wife Meredith, are legends in doing Keto. Rowing across the Pacific from California to Hawaii on high-fat no/low carb food. Amazing.

@bulkbiker, your sig says you went from 143kg to an amazing 103kg doing low carb. Were you on Insulin when you did this, and if so how were you able to lose the fat and take insulin? I'm struggling to lose the fat even though I've been in ketosis for about 2 months.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@bulkbiker, your sig says you went from 143kg to an amazing 103kg doing low carb. Were you on Insulin when you did this, and if so how were you able to lose the fat and take insulin? I'm struggling to lose the fat even though I've been in ketosis for about 2 months.

No I wasn't on anything after 3 weeks spent on the loo with metformin. Just did extreme low carb (ketogenic diet) combined with intermittent then extended fasting. Currently weight sits at 96.7 kg with the ultimate aim to get to 89kg (14 st).
These days I try to eat one meal a day( usually dinner) with tea and coffee during the day. Have a ****** cold this week but seem to have broken another plateau and am my lightest in 35 years.

Lord Midas

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Idiots. Morons. Flat Earthers. Religious fanatics. Trump. Bigots. Misogynists. And other assorted bad types.
Wow. Awesome. I just need to cut more.
Currently my breakfast to lunch is bulletproof coffee. Lunch is along the lines of a simple leafy salad with a little ham. And dinner is usual fare, meat and veg.

I still need to take insulin though, which is where my problem lies.

Sorry this went off topic.