Any advice?! Freestyle Libre

SarahCarrick

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been using the libre for about six months... have found I've much better control and HB1ac improved significantly. I really do love it. One sensor failed and Abbott replaced absolutely no problem. Great customer service. Only problem is I am really clumsy and always rushing about... I've just knocked the sensor right out on the doorframe. It's only been in 3 days this is about the fourth time I've done this. I know it should be on the back of your arm but does anyone else wear it somewhere else and it still functions okay? Or is this just something I need to put up with. I'm forever tripping over my own feet etc and the more careful I try to be, the worse it getsany advice gratefully received TIA
Sarsh

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've been using the libre for about six months... have found I've much better control and HB1ac improved significantly. I really do love it. One sensor failed and Abbott replaced absolutely no problem. Great customer service. Only problem is I am really clumsy and always rushing about... I've just knocked the sensor right out on the doorframe. It's only been in 3 days this is about the fourth time I've done this. I know it should be on the back of your arm but does anyone else wear it somewhere else and it still functions okay? Or is this just something I need to put up with. I'm forever tripping over my own feet etc and the more careful I try to be, the worse it getsany advice gratefully received TIA
Sarsh

Hi Sarah - I've never actually knocked one off, although I've had one just fall off (Abbott replaced it, without question), and one I almost pulled off, pulling up my jeans.

The sensors seem to work in other sites, I've tried one lowish on my abdomen (this is the one I almost pulled off, pulling up my jeans). I was fortunate in that it was still attached and worked for the remainder of its time. I have also worn one on the side of my chest, so that it would be covered by my bikini, whilst in the sun. It worked OK, but wasn't an entirely great place for it. I have read of folks using the tops of their thighs too.

As I understand it, Abbott will only support the Libre worn as per their instructions. I haven't had to, but I can't think they'd be very interested if someone called them reporting a poorly performing sensor if it were attached to an alternative site.

I think experimenting would be at your own risk.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, @SarahCarrick , I knocked one of my early ones off too on a door frame after only two days, but then realised I wasn't really wearing it on the back of my arm, it was more kind of on the side, so more prone to catching. Since then, I've made a point of reaching further round when inserting so it is properly on the back of the arm and is more protected. Maybe you could just try it further round your arm.

I also stick a Molnlycke Mepore 6 x 8 cm plaster over it, about 20 to 40p depending on which chemist: the sensor itself is sticky enough, but the plaster smooths out the edges making it less likely to catch.

I've seen other threads where people have used stomach or leg, seemed to get readings just as well, but the locations brought their own problems, can't remember the details. Abbot doesn't recommend other locations, you'd likely not get a replacement for dodgy sensors if you let on you were wearing it elsewhere. Don't know enough about the science but recall that there's been studies that the lag time between blood and interstitial glucose differs between different body areas, so if it has been calibrated for arm, maybe there'll be quirks if used elsewhere.

For a long time after that lost one, especially on days where I had one active one on one arm, and another inactive but inserted to settle down a day in advance on the other, people at work were thinking I'd developed a phobia of doors the way I was curling my arms in every time I went through one!

Lenah_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Tegaderm works really well for keeping them on. I've only pulled one off when I hooked my bra strap on it while dressing. Rocktape also works well.

SarahCarrick

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your replies... have tegaderm and opsite to try. I've opsite on it at minute and it's as far round as I can get it. Finding the opsite a wee bit itchy but they seem more robust than the tegaderm patches. My son uses the tegaderm and his DSN got GP to prescribe them which was really good of her

izzyj09

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey I've got a libre and I play water polo with mine in my arm, which results in it being grabbed a lot as that's what water polo basically is ! What I do is I put something called H2o rock tape on it and be warned this stuff doesn't come off and it's super good ! It for me survives a 2 hour session so it will stay on, also I'm really allergic to lots of things and this I'm ok on hope this helps

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey I've got a libre and I play water polo with mine in my arm, which results in it being grabbed a lot as that's what water polo basically is ! What I do is I put something called H2o rock tape on it and be warned this stuff doesn't come off and it's super good ! It for me survives a 2 hour session so it will stay on, also I'm really allergic to lots of things and this I'm ok on hope this helps
This is something I was looking for. I'm considering the Libre but am in a pool several times a week for 2 hours at a time usually. I suspect I'll have to tape it on. Is there a gentle way to get the tape off after 14 days and I assume if you cover it with tape it will still read through it?

izzyj09

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hey so what I do is I put tape over it normally one or two pieces just because in water polo there is often quite a bit of wrestling ! But normally when I'm just swim teaching so I'm in the pool for two or three hours I just put one strip over it and then once I'm done I take it off again, and it will peel off nicely when it's wet ! Yep it still reads through, I've never had any errors because of the tape and if it's a bit lose in my arm for the last couple of days I just put a single strip over it and keep that on

Reactions: Brunneria

steve_p6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Place mine higher and more to the front of the arm. Keeps it out of the way when sleeping and doesnt get knocked off there.

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey so what I do is I put tape over it normally one or two pieces just because in water polo there is often quite a bit of wrestling ! But normally when I'm just swim teaching so I'm in the pool for two or three hours I just put one strip over it and then once I'm done I take it off again, and it will peel off nicely when it's wet ! Yep it still reads through, I've never had any errors because of the tape and if it's a bit lose in my arm for the last couple of days I just put a single strip over it and keep that on
Thanks for that. I had visions of a rock hard immovable tape taking my arm with it when you tried to remove it!
Seriously, I wasn't sure whether you kept the tape on all the time or not or if you covered it totally with tape. They're a wee bit too pricey to make mistakes with.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I put mine on the underside of my arm. I hold my arm out straight in front of me with the palm down. I attach it to the flabby bit half way between elbow and armpit. It is safe from knocks there, and safer from clothing catching on it when dressing etc. It works fine. I am currently wearing sensor number 7 and so far none have fallen off or been knocked off. Fingers crossed I'm not tempting fate.

izzyj09

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You do have to be careful though that you don't take the libre off when you peel the tape of that's my advice

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You do have to be careful though that you don't take the libre off when you peel the tape of that's my advice
Again that was a concern although I believe it was @Brunneria that mentioned cutting something bigger than the sensor and putting that over it so you are only taping your arm. Still goes over the sensor but with a barrier inbetween. Can remember what it was though. Thin plastic? Just need to ensure it survives Aqua Fit classes and swimming with grandsons.