Turned down pip

Fiona30ni

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
My daughter has just turned 16 and applied for pip continuing from her being on dla from 12 yr old. She was refused and got no points whatsoever. Anyone any advice?

S

serenity648

It can depend on what is wrong with her. But do appeal. A friend of mine appealed and learned on Saturday that she is now going to get PIP.

Reactions: Fiona30ni

Fiona30ni

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi serenity she has type 1 diabetes and control has not been great. I constantly have to remind her to inject and check bloods etc. She wrote all this in claim form and still no points.

S

serenity648

Hi serenity she has type 1 diabetes and control has not been great. I constantly have to remind her to inject and check bloods etc. She wrote all this in claim form and still no points.
I have just found your previous thread from 2014. The same applies as then, appeal, get the documentation from her paediatrician etc. People are being turned down routinely, in the hope that they wont appeal. The success rate for appeals is high:

http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/news/3518-pip-appeal-success-rate-hits-new-all-time-high

Fiona30ni

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks in process of requesting a reconsideration as I had sent letters from my gp, paediatrician and phycologist already. I'm on the phone every week with the diabetic nurse as I'm trying to let her do it herself but not happening. So I am printing out her last BMs from January and showing them it's not controlled as they assume.

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Did you say you were trying to get her to manage it on her own but the nurse wont let her....?

seems strange, no?

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Sorry to play the devil's advocate role, but as she's sixteen, is the above because she chooses not to or because she has something else that stops her doing it?

Lorraine1973

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I see. I get all my diabetic stuff free on prescription apart from dextrose x

Fiona30ni

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
No nothing to do with the nurse. She's not great at maths so struggles to work out the carbs. She has problems retaining information which the pyhologist stated in her letter. So has to be constantly reminded to check and test and do her 24 hr insulin. I have tried to take a step back from her last review appointment and her bloods are all over the place.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, can your daughter have a day to day/weekly reminder on her phone or Ipad ( most people have one of these) a diary/calender or a cork board with things to do on it, some of these may help :) @Fiona30ni, good luck.

S

serenity648

No nothing to do with the nurse. She's not great at maths so struggles to work out the carbs. She has problems retaining information which the pyhologist stated in her letter. So has to be constantly reminded to check and test and do her 24 hr insulin. I have tried to take a step back from her last review appointment and her bloods are all over the place.
If your daughter has learning difficulties, these also need to be mentioned strongly in the appeal.

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I have a severely physically disabled daughter who was awarded DLA at the age of 2 and which has continued without interruption. She is now 26 and recently had to apply for PIP because DLA is being discontinued. She sat beside me as I filled out the form for her, and was in tears, saying the questions, such as "Can she feed herself" were insulting and degrading. My daughter has been to university, has a full-time job and drives an adapted car but has been physically disabled since birth with a recognised condition for which there is no cure. When filling out the form, I gave the bottom line answers as the best piece of advice I received for the form filling was to give answers which applied to what she could/could't do on the worst possible day.

Part of my daughter's condition affects her memory and mathematical awareness so when she reached 16 I was advised to become her Appointee in all financial matters. Because of the amount of form filling involved in her life, I am still, at her request, her Appointee. I would suggest you consider becoming your daughter's Appointee too for the same reasons, and so that you can take up her case on her behalf when necessary. Our daughters still have a voice, but they can defer to us if they want to.

My daughter's application for PIP was successful, and didn't require her to attend any interviews but I did receive a phonecall from the Assessor, who introduced herself as paramedic who had been asked to look at her case. She told me she felt it was pretty certain that PIP would be awarded without the need to attend an interview, but she needed more information regarding her ability to prepare meals for herself. With a bit of coaxing I said that she couldn't easily prepare her own meals as she didn't have an adapted kitchen, couldn't reach the top shelves of the fridge and cupboards etc., and this new information just tipped the balance in her favour. Obviously this is only relevant to her particular case.

One of my daughter's friends who has cerebal palsy and applied for PIP at the same time was refused. At the interview she was asked if she could prepare Weetabix for herself for breakfast. When she replied that she could, she was told she wasn't entitled ot PIP as she wouldn't starve as she could live on Weetabix...

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That is cold and heartless IMO. Disgusting. :(

It's appalling. The friend also works full time and financially supports herself so as not to be a drain on the system but has had her condition since birth too and is desperate to live independently. The PIP would have helped her move out of her parents home and be independent.

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Poshtotty how do you become an appointee?
Who do you contact?

It was recommended that I became my daughter's appointee after she was assessed. Reading your post, I would think your daughter's psychologist or paediatrician might be your first point of contact

Michael2457

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude,Ignorant people.Manners & respect for others cost nothing.
PIP is getting harder and harder to claim these days,its about to get much harder as the govt have more changed ahead on the qualification criteria. When I left the Army after 15 years suffering with PTSD, I got DLA & IB,with little fuss,when it switched to PIP & ESA it led to attending health regular assessment's. I now have an interrogation every two years for PIP, then a separate interrogation for ESA every two years,which means now every years I have an interrogation for either one of them!

As well as the side effects of PTSD, I have a permanent nervous tremor in my right hand ,and now have diabetes T2,and an gastro hernia to deal with. Yet still I have all these complicate forms to fill in and regular interrogations.This conservative Govt are making it harder and harder for genuine people to get benefits. Yet they dont mind paying £billions for pointless foreign wars and £billions nuclear submarines and other countries space programmes.

All the best with the appeal Fiona, fight them all the way, appeals have a very good success rate..

Reactions: Prem51