Diabetes is not a Disease

Kenny3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Sir Muir Gray an eminent Doctor who is on several advisory boards of the NHS and has a couple of Honorary Professorships from several Universities has claimed that Type 2 is not a real disease but a walking syndrome condition which can be largely treated by diet and walking,and in a few cases it probably can be. He also claims that millions of pounds year is spent on needless medication. Not many people in the Medical World seem to agree with him. He has been slated for giving many Type 2 diabetics the idea that they can give up medication and rely on diet and exercise.There are 3.6 million app. Type 2s in the UK.For myself,I will keep taking my medication until told by doctors to stop. Kenny

Reactions: dbr10 and Debzz_

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well from what I have read he sounds a bit of an arrogant d***.. however he is partially right in that millions are probably being spent on needless medication and that for probably quite a few people (including a very large number who are members of this forum) it is quite feasible to control Type 2 with diet (especially) and maybe exercise. Have a read of the success stories area in the forum and see what can be done. There may be a chance that you could manage without the pills too whatever your doctor may say. I quite happily ignore what my HCP's say as they have demonstrated on quite a few occasions that they know less about Type 2 than I have found out by my own research.
Maybe that makes me sound like an arrogant d*** too... oh well mea culpa..

Last edited by a moderator:

David_A_Hughes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sure it's not a disease, it can't be caught or transmitted from person to person. It's a condition that can be managed, to some extent, by diet, exercise and medication. This is what I've been led to believe and, until I'm given substantive evidence to the contrary, it's what I'll continue to believe.

Reactions: michaela2015
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Poor diet and lack of exercise is not the preserve of diabetics but when it starts to do actual damage then your ease is dissed. I can't understand the motive of Sir Muir Gray in saying what he did when he did.

Anyone with damaged sight, amputations, ED etc. are probably crossing Sir Muir Gray off their Christmas Card list about now.

Reactions: michaela2015

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
I'm sure it's not a disease, it can't be caught or transmitted from person to person. It's a condition that can be managed, to some extent, by diet, exercise and medication. This is what I've been led to believe and, until I'm given substantive evidence to the contrary, it's what I'll continue to believe.
I agree that it's a condition - caused by inappropriate diet for the main part. Whether the condition can be merely managed or reversed by eating a healthy diet remains to be seen. It hardly matters for me though as I shall continue to eat this way because it keeps me healthy.

Hiitsme

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am one of many on this forum who are managing to control Type 2 with diet and exercise. When I was first diagnosed I was handed a sheet by GP saying diet, weight loss and exercise should be attempted first, I was also given a prescription and when I questioned this told it was impossible without medication, no one in his surgery managed without medication. After 6 weeks my GP agreed I could have 3 months to try the diet, weight loss and exercise. My GP two years later was excited to tell me he had 3 others also managing without medication. I would really encourage people to try, if they want to but am aware there maybe reasons why this might not work and I wouldn't want anyone on medication to feel a failure.It's hard work but in my opinion it's been worth it for me.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That made me look up the definition to see what constituted a disease and I got this.

"noun
a disordered or incorrectly functioning organ, part, structure, orsystem of the body resulting from the effect of genetic ordevelopmental errors, infection, poisons, nutritional deficiency or imbalance, toxicity, or unfavorable environmental factors; illness;sickness; ailment."

It seems if something breaks due to a nutritional deficiency then it is a disease.

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
I agree with Squire Fulwood. A disease is literally when the body is in a state of dis-ease i.e. not at ease. Some diseases are communicable and caused by bacteria, viruses etc but others, like diabetes, are physiological and due to malfunctions of body systems. Is Dr Muir Gray a medical doctor or does he have some quasi-medical qualification?

miszu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I dont think it was arrogant of him to say that... It might upset a few, but i think its more positive than bad. My japanese grandpa has diabetes too, I asked him how they treat his diabetes there. He simply said they treat T2 diabetes with diet and daily exercise in Japan.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

There's heart disease, often due to a malfunction. I prefer the term condition, but it could be disease, either one is okay with me, whatever it's called.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just looked at his CV and he is certainly qualified to make statements on medical matters even if I think they are unhelpful.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I agree with Squire Fulwood. A disease is literally when the body is in a state of dis-ease i.e. not at ease. Some diseases are communicable and caused by bacteria, viruses etc but others, like diabetes, are physiological and due to malfunctions of body systems. Is Dr Muir Gray a medical doctor or does he have some quasi-medical qualification?
He is a real medical doctor. When I looked him up though, google described him as an author. He is bringing out a book about diabetes being "walking deficiency syndrome" and not a disease. I don't know who his target market for this book is to be honest. I wouldn't buy it, but then I live in a smokeless zone.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
He is a real medical doctor. When I looked him up though, google described him as an author. He is bringing out a book about diabetes being "walking deficiency syndrome" and not a disease. I don't know who his target market for this book is to be honest. I wouldn't buy it, but then I live in a smokeless zone.
Ah, a book, suddenly the mist clears.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
He also has been a big cheese in the NHS for quite a while but seemingly did nothing to change their views on treating Type 2 with diet and exercise then...

Reactions: Avocado Sevenfold

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ah, a book, suddenly the mist clears.
The thing is, there a lot of modes to say a thing. This "sir" has been really rude in the choiche of words used, especially because his talks are counter productive on increase the diabetes awareness.

On the other hand as advertisin for a book, they could work.

Robkww

Poor diet and lack of exercise is not the preserve of diabetics but when it starts to do actual damage then your ease is dissed. I can't understand the motive of Sir Muir Gray in saying what he did when he did.

Anyone with damaged sight, amputations, ED etc. are probably crossing Sir Muir Gray off their Christmas Card list about now.

Completely agree, the guy has missed the bus and needs to control his greedy trait - one book too many. Move over and let a younger more progressive generation influence lifestyle, diet and treatment as required.