T1D medals

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
My super DSN applied for mine 5years ago roll on 60 years this bloody disease ain't going to get me but I'm still fighting it,onward and upwards.

Reactions: philchap1 and Dodo

Deb1million

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I haven't applied for a medal. Are they worth anything? Could I flog it and buy some sensors at all?

Sorry, iHs, they're not real gold. I was unimpressed with mine, and the lettter was nothing special. Quite an anticlimax to my years of thinking I'd never make it, I've just left the medal in a drawer.
I don't know why some people have an item in the newsletter, it's nothing special now that diabetes care has moved forward so far and we can all live a long life.

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
image.jpeg

neels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I don't even know the exact date I was diagnosed, all my mum said was I was about 2 and a half years old when I ended up in hospital, which makes it around 1977. I don't think there is an exact date in my hospital files either!

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't even know the exact date I was diagnosed, all my mum said was I was about 2 and a half years old when I ended up in hospital, which makes it around 1977. I don't think there is an exact date in my hospital files either!
Maybe you should ask next time you go for your hospital appointment and if they don't have anything on file, tell them what you've told us and ask for 1977 to be put on file. Failing that your GP's records should show a date, as these records should always be passed on wherever you move to. Mine only state the year, but I remember the month as I missed my brothers' birthdays.

neels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Maybe you should ask next time you go for your hospital appointment and if they don't have anything on file, tell them what you've told us and ask for 1977 to be put on file. Failing that your GP's records should show a date, as these records should always be passed on wherever you move to. Mine only state the year, but I remember the month as I missed my brothers' birthdays.

Thanks, but no one seems to have a date, they always ask me if I know when I was diagnosed!

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks, but no one seems to have a date, they always ask me if I know when I was diagnosed!
If your mother reckons you were two and a half go from that. Ask your GP to state it in your records and tell them that you have been asked for a specific year when applying for travel insurance etc (I am always asked this when I apply for any kind of insurance (travel, car, driving licence), so you really need to know. I knew the year I was diagnosed but the month was not on my records. All I knew was that I missed my brother's birthday and that was in the month of October. So when applying for my medals I entered October.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

My granddaughter was diagnosed at 2 1/2 years as well, she is 8 now.

In my hospital files, it says 1989, nothing else at all., it was in August. But, my new GP has now got me down as late onset type 2, November 24th 1992, I snitched on him last week at my hospital diabetes clinic and the hospital told me to take no notice of him lol

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm going to make myself a medal out of tin foil and sticky back plastic! I think I deserve one for dealing with 2 of us diagnosed within 5 days of one another. I wonder how many other families type 1 has effected that quick? We're just weird :D
Do you ever wonder if you were both exposed to something that "triggered" it? Seems so crazy you were both dx'd at the same time!

Reactions: Dodo

PI3.14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
We have a similar scheme here in Australia called the "Kellion medal", named after a philanthropist whose son died of T1D complications. Medals are awarded for 50 (silver), 60 (gold) and 70 (platinum) years on insulin.