Low fat versus low carb

wolfie11969

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What are people's thoughts on following either a low fat diet plan or a low carb diet plan?

I was diagnosed Sept 2015 with Diabetes II after having a glucose test. Fast forward to today

I managed to lose a stone in weight following weight watchers plan and gave up in late January when I found I had additional bills to pay. Now I am due to restart tomorrow after re-juggling finances and finding the money needed for the monthly fee.

I've read a bit about low carb and I'm not sure if I should try to incorporate this into the low fat plan too so that perhaps I encourage my body to remove some of the weight it's carrying (I have a BMI of around 42 so I am considered severely (or whatever the word is nowadays) obese

I understand low carb doesnt just take into account bread, cereals, pasta, potatoes etc but some other foods have a high carb content. (I will be reading some of the info on both of the low carb/low fat boards later)

I have been going to a clinic at the local hospital for people who have weight problems (lipid clinic) and one of the doctors stated that for someone like me with my diabetes and intercranial hypertension surgery was my best option. I've done some research into that and I cant say I'm too keen, hence looking at alternatives.

I'd be grateful if people could perhaps give me some indication as to what plan they feel works best. And if anyone has any articles I could look at I would be grateful too.

Thankyou

lindisfel

Expert
Hi Wolfie,
I don't think the two are easily combined. You need plenty of good fats and the right amount of protein on a low carb diet unless you intend to have a Newcastle diet for a time. The weight should drop off you with low carb good fats and one seldom feels hungry. Additionally your BP will come down, particularly if you are salt sensitive and you cut out bread and poor quality salt loaded pies etc. regards Derek

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
According to Dr. Briffa you can't lose weight easily without eating fat. Fat provokes the hormone Leptin which has the ability to remove triglycerides from the fat cells. People who think that eating fat makes them fat are out of date.

Reactions: Petaluk and ickihun

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What have your blood glucose levels been like on a daily basis, on WeightWatchers?

If I were you, I would prioritise blood glucose control over weight loss, and for me, that requires low carbing. Once I was comfortable with my blood glucose, I would then turn to weight loss, but many people find that weight reduces without effort when low carbing. Of course, it has to be low enough for the individual, and sometimes that is pretty low. Home blood glucose testing is key in determining personal carb tolerances.

In my opinion, the health benefits of tight glucose control, reduced insulin release, reduced insulin resistance, and improved cholesterol ratios (via low carb) far outweighs the potential benefits of shaving a few points off the BMI (via low calorie) :)

Reactions: wolfie11969

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you researched the Newcastle diet? There is plenty about it on these forums if you do a search. It seems to have had good weight loss success and has also resulted in very much improved blood glucose levels and even remission of T2. Briefly it is an 8 week plan consuming 800 calories from carefully controlled meal replacements and one meal a day of mainly vegetables.

Other than that, only low carb will help with blood glucose levels, and as mentioned before, low carb doesn't sit well with low fat.
I believe it is more important to control the blood glucose levels with low carb and look on the weight loss as a bonus. For the majority of people, low carb with higher fats will result in lower blood glucose levels and weight loss.

JRTwalker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My experience is that I followed Eat Well plan and low-fat, low calorie regimes and I failed, miserably so. So bad that I was diagnosed as T2 in October.
LCHF diet has enabled me to reduce my weight by 36Kg and HbA1c by 66% in six months. My GP has withdrawn my drugs and tells me I am fully in remission.
Try both is my recommendation (not at same time of course) and see what works best for you.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I agree but I have to wonder why I'm losing weight on a low fat and low carb diet.
I accept the body needs fat to lose fat but the key is ensuring the body burns body fat rather than edible fat.
Ps. Where does fat from our food go if not stored?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did low fat for many years because I thought that was healthy. I gradually got fatter. Now I follow LCHF I am gradually losing weight and my BGs are under control.

Reactions: Dodo and Karenchq

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you want to try a VLCD and not use the Newcastle Diet format have a look at the 8 week blood sugar diet by Dr Michael Mosley, it follows a similar 800 calorie format, but uses "real" food, and you will be surprised at just how much you can eat if you can eat if you restrict the carbs, my one word of advise if you choose to try this route is to plan all your meals in advance

Reactions: Bluetit1802
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree but I have to wonder why I'm losing weight on a low fat and low carb diet.
I accept the body needs fat to lose fat but the key is ensuring the body burns body fat rather than edible fat.
Ps. Where does fat from our food go if not stored?

Now don't take me as an expert. I just read the books. Edible fat is processed in the gut and enters the blood stream as triglycerides. The stored fat is not a permanent feature and can be removed by Leptin. Meanwhile the insulin is trying to put any spare back into the fat cells. There is a circulation of triglycerides. At the end of the day if you have used more than you have taken in then you are that much lighter.

Insulin of which there is a lot if you keep eating carbs puts the spare into the fat cells but it does not have the ability to remove it again so if you keep eating a lot of carbs you get fatter.

Last edited:

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Now don't take me as an expert. I just read the books. Edible fat is processed in the gut and enters the blood stream as triglycerides. The stored fat is not a permanent feature and can be removed by Leptin. Meanwhile the insulin is trying to put any spare back into the fat cells. There is a circulation of triglycerides. At the end of the day if you have used more than you have taken in the you are that much lighter.

Insulin of which there is a lot if you keep eating carbs puts the spare into the fat cells but it does not have the ability to remove it again so if you keep eating a lot of carbs you get fatter.
Thankyou

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you want to understand carbohydrates vs fat for diabetics then take a look at this video ...

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A lifetime of low calorie, low fat diets saw me getting fatter, developing fatty liver disease and diabetes.
Totally turned around with LCHF and I feel great!

Reactions: Dodo

hca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello, I too have intercranial hypertension and had a shunt fitted over 10 years ago, have tried loads of weird and wonderful diets including low fat and following nhs guidelines.
Diagnosed type2 Feb 2017, went Lchf. In a 3 month period have reduced hba1c down to non diabetic levels, reduced cholesterol down form 4.7 to 3.7, lost a stone and a half in weight.

However you must do what is right for you, as others have said, try both and see which suits (although not at the same time)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Low carb and low fat is making me happy, especially when I get on the scales and weigh less.
I don't know for how long but it would last as long as I eat that way, just the same as lchf would but without the palpatations, for me.
Mind u I've had diabetes for decades not a few months or years.
My sugars were better at first on lchf but once I added more fat they became high again.
Low carb diet definitely works, that is for sure. But adding fat, didn't for me. I must be wired differently.
Low fat definitely helps me loose weight on top of less carbs. Neither works with less only by themselves. It has tobe low carb and low fat for me. :(
I wish I shed the weight many have on lchf but I never lost once I added the fat element or increased it. :(