FREESTYLE LIBRE ON SALE!!!!

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes you can use the watch as a stand alone device on the wrist. Hold the watch very near Libre sensor for a second and you'll get the current BG reading and the previous 8 hours on a graph.

Reactions: Steveyeu

Steveyeu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
And can this be done with the standard libre or glimp app? Just ordered my starter pack! Cant wait to get stuck in
Yes you can use the watch as a stand alone device on the wrist. Hold the watch very near Libre sensor for a second and you'll get the current BG reading and the previous 8 hours on a graph.

eventhorizon

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
And can this be done with the standard libre or glimp app? Just ordered my starter pack! Cant wait to get stuck in
Standard Glimp app but you do need to hack the watch. I don't think the Libre app will work on the watch.

Steveyeu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Standard Glimp app but you do need to hack the watch. I don't think the Libre app will work on the watch.
Surprised they are not a bit more tech savy... arn't apps made by kids nowdays lol... would have thought a smart watch app would have been an easy addition for a tech based product???

Thanks again for the info!!

Anyone actually used an android watch like this? I feel im gonna need an idiot guide

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Was hoping with an android watch with nfc i could use the app?

Sorry, I think we were taking at cross purposes there! The link to the LibreAlarm I gave earlier was for a way of getting the libre to alarm when sugars go out of range, which is the one big thing mising from libre compared to dexcom, whereas I see now that what you're thinking of is not really an alert as such but just being able to scan with the watch instead of the reader or phone.Will have to pass on that one as I'm not a techy.

My recollection from reading about LibreAlarm was that the developer figured out that Sony had put an nfc aerial in the Smartwatch and then for whatever commercial reasons didn't decide to go ahead with it, hence the hacking required to actually switch it on.

I see now from a quick google that there's quite a few more android watches with nfc available than was the case when the LibreAlarm developer came up with the Smartwatch hack. Whethere there's any apps which work on those, I don't know.

Steveyeu

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Ahh right... still trying to get my head around all the abbreviations and the lingo lol!! Found an excellent facebook group called libre geeks... so much info on using the sony watch... hopefully im going to find the answers i need :)

Appreciate the help!!

Reactions: RFSMarch

sharron 64

Type of diabetes
LADA
Yes I know its rechargeable.. So do you take it out to recharge in a recharger? Or do you charge it via the scanner?
Charge via the scanner, the sensor is stuck onto the arm, which is the size of a 2 pound coin, and sticks out, so watch when putting and taken of clothes, aslo when drying after bath or shower, as i have caught mine a few times

sharron 64

Type of diabetes
LADA
Please be aware that Abott did not like tubular bandage, tubigrip being used over their cgm sensors. I really would advise that somebody phones them up and asks what they advise to assist with adhesion.
Also advised not to cover the small hole in the centre of the censor

danchrist

hi all, I got my libre today and have read a few bits about the best way to use them. Should I use the machine to activate the sensor right away after application, or did I read that its best to leave it for a few days before activating it (to allow it to settle). I'm not sure how the 14 day period starts, or is enforced. Does it start when you apply the sensor, or is it when you activate it? Does it not make any difference either way? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks! Dan

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hi all, I got my libre today and have read a few bits about the best way to use them. Should I use the machine to activate the sensor right away after application, or did I read that its best to leave it for a few days before activating it (to allow it to settle). I'm not sure how the 14 day period starts, or is enforced. Does it start when you apply the sensor, or is it when you activate it? Does it not make any difference either way? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks! Dan

Hi, Dan, the 14 days starts running from the point you activate it. So, you could apply it now, leave it there for 6, 12, 24, 48 etc. hours and it'll still run for 14 days once you start it.

Seeing as it's your first one, I know you'll be mad keen to get it up and running asap, I was too, but most of us find that if you apply it and leave it for 12/24 hrs or whatever, it allows it a bit of time to settle in.

You can get bat-sh*t crazy results on the first day or two if you start it as soon as you attach it, because inserting it causes a bit of local disturbance (not surprising seeing as you're poking a needle into your skin) which messes with readings, but it generally settles down after that.

To be honest, you can still get bat-sh*t crazy results with it even after delaying start up. It takes a while to get used to it. It's got quirks. First couple of weeks I used it, I tested way more than I normally did to get a sense of what those quirks where. Once you learn how to read it properly, it's like, yeah, I can see what this is telling me even though it ain't the same as my meter.

Have fun with it!

danchrist

Hi, Dan, the 14 days starts running from the point you activate it. So, you could apply it now, leave it there for 6, 12, 24, 48 etc. hours and it'll still run for 14 days once you start it.

Seeing as it's your first one, I know you'll be mad keen to get it up and running asap, I was too, but most of us find that if you apply it and leave it for 12/24 hrs or whatever, it allows it a bit of time to settle in.

You can get bat-sh*t crazy results on the first day or two if you start it as soon as you attach it, because inserting it causes a bit of local disturbance (not surprising seeing as you're poking a needle into your skin) which messes with readings, but it generally settles down after that.

To be honest, you can still get bat-sh*t crazy results with it even after delaying start up. It takes a while to get used to it. It's got quirks. First couple of weeks I used it, I tested way more than I normally did to get a sense of what those quirks where. Once you learn how to read it properly, it's like, yeah, I can see what this is telling me even though it ain't the same as my meter.

Have fun with it!
Thanks! Will wait till tomorrow then, looking forward to giving it a go.

barrym

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
FWIW, I'm pretty new to libre, but have read loads. Yesterday I put on a new sensor and after the mandatory one hour I tested with my Accuchek Mobile, the reader, and my phone and they all said 5.1.

I reckon any discrepancies may be down to the way individuals immediately accept minor trauma locally.

I'd advise trying the 1 hour first for a few sensors.

Having said that they are awesome. I often test in excess of 15 times a day. It's guilt free compared to strips.

Good luck.

videoman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Great news as I have just found out that the Libre system will be on the NHS list from November,so here goes

hughs

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I’ve been told the libre has inconsistent readings. Has anyone else seen this issue?

winephil

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cities and crowds
I’ve been told the libre has readings. Has anyone else seen this issue?

Yes I have returned my last captor to Abbott for a replacement. After 3 days the readings were between 25 and 40 percent higher than my Next USB. I have used Libre for almost a year but this is only the second one I have returned. I accept 10 to 15 percent différence as a price to pay for ease of use but always keep my NEXT ready to check. I live in France where Libre is now available free under the healthcare system.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’ve been told the libre has inconsistent readings. Has anyone else seen this issue?

In the same way blood glucose finger prick tests can vary, at least with the libre you don't have to wash your hands, or drop a pot of strips on the floor:rolleyes: or not put enough blood on the strip........or.......:wacky:

Yes you can get dodgy sensors (as with strips) and sometimes it can come unstuck/dislodge - Abbott are very good at replacing faulty sensors.

WillHellens

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I generally notice a discrepancy of c10% either way and only find this to be a slight issue when bloods are on the low side tending toward hypo.

I've only had one dodgy sensor when the adhesive failed and Abbot replaced sensor immediately.

I've been using the sensors for 7 months now and use the freestyle libre as my main meter.

NikiMilligan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes - big time!
I’ve had several sensors, and with all but one it has generally been about 50% out (it shrieks most of the time that I have low BS, displaying ‘LO’ whilst fingerprick using the same machine and their test strips says 5.6 or so.
Almost unknown for less than a 40% difference, but I do seem to be a minority.
Seems to be a personal physiology thing going on - I’ve actually about to start taking magnesium, as low magnesium prevents the glucose going from your blood into your cells. And I’m going to wear a Libre while I do it to see if I’ve figured out my issue!

michelejane

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
reality/celebrity tv, sport
I'm timing it so that I apply my sensor before I shall be doing a day of physical work outdoors on monday. so much better than having to prick fingers etc when I am not indoors. I could only afford to buy one sensor as got the money as a christmas gift, I have used them before but it takes a while to save up for them. Ultimately, I need to test my basals without getting sore fingers!