lada

walsh111

Type of diabetes
Type 2
good morning finding this site really helpful, yesterday i had to see a consultant who informed me that i need insulin injections,i was diagnosed diabetic around 6 weeks ago and been taking Metformin He said i had lada and as such my Lgv licence was to be revoked a few things that i need clarifying is the law on driving non hgv as i have a car and motorbike, do i need to inform my insurance company and can i expect a large hike in premiums?also could i drive non lgv vans for a living as at 58 dont feel ready for the scrapheap just yet, Thanks for taking the time reading this post and for any advice

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Welcome @walsh111 :)

Would you like me to move your thread to our Driving section for you?

If you're on insulin, you need to inform the DVLA and your insurance company.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
thank you yes

Done : )

While you're waiting for replies about your specific questions, take a look round this section. I know there are threads about HGV vehicles so you might find sime info about LGV too.

tircoed

Hi you can drive a vehicle upto 3.5 tons ladened on your car lic you need to inform DVLA that you are an insulin diabetic and your insurance company hope this helps xx

Lordy100

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not many things
You can still drive a 7.5T as you have "grandfather" rights. However, you will have to have a yearly medical and complete the questionnaire. You will also have to demonstrate you have been testing your blood sugars, every day and at least twice a day, over the last 3 months (don't quote me, please check with DVLA). I got my Class C1 back so I could drive a horsebox but on renewal was turned down due to not demonstrating enough testing. I argued that as I wasn't a professional driver why was this needed and also what happened regarding holidays etc. Anyway I didn't win :-( and gave up, I only ever used it half a dozen times.

You have to demonstrate you are testing and your are aware of any hypos etc.

I also have a bike licence so just make sure I test and carry a mars bar with me, just in case. Your insurance premium shouldn't increase overly.

Good luck