I really want a baby!

M80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello I have had background retinopathy for a number of years now, due to lack of control, horrible grip of diabulimia for many years. Was told as long as I control now it shouldn't get worse, they weren't happy when I tightened my control so quickly in pre-preg, but I was eager to be ready for a baby!

I have hit the resistance stage and really really struggling to keep everything under control. I feel awful and keep correcting and upping ratios/basal, keep getting high readings though! It's so frustrating. I had a 4D private scan on Saturday (isn't 4D amazing!!) and she was a little concerned that baby boy is 3.28lbs at 28 weeks. I feel horrible, she said he is heavier than they would expect at this stage and his abdominal circ. is above the 97th percentile I have my NHS 28 week scan at the hospital today so will see what they say then. Everything else looked good at the scan so I don't think I should be too worried... That's what the sonographer said anyway (she was diabetic herself).

At the moment I go to bed at 7-12, correct, test again in the night, correct if necessary and wake up at 5-12, really variable. So rubbish. I am so angry, frustrated and upset at the moment, I don't know what to do, I want to whack in loads of insulin but I don't want to drop it low I have been told to gradually increase settings and leave it two or three days before making more changes, in which time I get high readings. I just worry I am doing more damage than good, I don't want to eat but know I have to so he gets all the nutrients etc he needs.

Hope the hospital move goes well I love having ladies on here who understand the frustrations and worries, and just let me rant at times! Haha

Xx
Just wanted to say I recommend a c-section if you have retinopathy.Just from personal experience, my labour took a long time and it was not good for my eyes.The pressure from actually pushing caused some issues.It is all fine now, after 4 1/2 years, but it did scare me.xx

MelissaC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @wannabemammy Aww thanks, you're so kind! :) This forum has definitely helped, I love it!

Ooh it didn't take you too long to fall pregnant then. I keep worrying it's going to takes ages but I know it can take a while for some and I've just got to be grateful :) Hopefully all will be okay.

I'm glad things are going well for you! Aw yes I bet you can't wait to meet them. Do you know what you're having or are you gonna wait and see? xx

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just a message of support and to say go for it.....

its one of the best things one can do in life.....you can get the control tightened as you go.....;)

Reactions: MelissaC

Tilly_S

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Sorry iv not updated ! I had my baby boy yesterday morning at 7.38 am 35+1 weeks ! 6lb he's in special care atm but doing well and hopefully back in the next week ♥️
His lungs were just a tad gruffly
Hope everyone is good:)
Xxx

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Congratulations @Tilly_S ! :)

Sending you and your little boy lots of love. XX

Don't forget we have the New Baby sticky thread at the top of this subforum. I wouldn't want anyone to miss your exciting news! Well done!

Pilzy-89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just wanted to say I recommend a c-section if you have retinopathy.Just from personal experience, my labour took a long time and it was not good for my eyes.The pressure from actually pushing caused some issues.It is all fine now, after 4 1/2 years, but it did scare me.xx

Thanks I didn't even think about this. Just had pictures done on Friday so will see what the team suggest when those results are in. They have already said because I have high blood pressure they will be looking to deliver @ 37 weeks rather than 38, so only 3.5 weeks to go now getting very real.

M80

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thanks I didn't even think about this. Just had pictures done on Friday so will see what the team suggest when those results are in. They have already said because I have high blood pressure they will be looking to deliver @ 37 weeks rather than 38, so only 3.5 weeks to go now getting very real.
Good! After my first, she came on the day full term, I was recomended to not go over 38 weeks again if pregnant again.would advise to do what they plan it is wise;)

monimoni

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hey everyone we are planning for our 2nd baby in 3-6months time my implant is due to be removed end of June. We have a 3and a half year old daughter. I'm 34 type one with background retinopathy,Charcot fracture in my left ankle and I still managed to crack on get hba1c to 7.5 pre pregnancy last time attend all my different clinics. And I am crazy enough to do it all over again. My last hba1c was 8 I am having an hba1c at gp next week then I have an appointment with pre conception in august. I was diagnosed at the age of 3and a half I have had a lot of rough times but made sure at the age of 16 I started the pill. I knew myself I needed to be ready and fully in control of my diabetes before attempting pregnancy. Good luck to all out there attempting to conceive and congrats to all who have conceived and are doing their best to bring their healthy bundle into the world.

monimoni

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yeah definitely would recommend c-section as I had pre eclampsia and background retinopathy went into early labour at 33+3 was in slow labour so given induction medication. Then it all went wrong I had kidney failure and extremely high blood pressure so ended up with an emergency section. When I do conceive for the 2nd time I will opt for a section. My daughter was totally fine and weighed 6lbs 9oz at 33+5wks she is 3and a half now and still doing great.

Pilzy-89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@monimoni @M80
Funnily enough I have just got out of hospital this afternoon, having been in since Tuesday. Had preexisting hypertension but when I went to clinic on Tuesday I had +4 protein in urine, had always been negative until then, so was admitted and told the preexisting hypertension has progressed to preeclampsia. They were debating emergency c-section Tuesday night, but after liver & kidney function blood results came back normal they just wanted to monitor me closely as I had very high bp too. They have just upped a bunch of my meds and told me to literally do nothing (don't know how I will cope with that, I like to stay active!). They have said delivering by 37 weeks now, am 35+2 today, so depending on what happens could be anytime in the next few weeks.
@monimoni Aww good glad your daughter is doing well still best of luck with preparing for 2nd baby! Xx

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Take their advice and put your feet up @Pilzy-89 ! You won't have time to do much resting when baby is here anyway. Read, watch TV, do a manicure, listen to restful music :)

Sorry you're having a few issues, but it sounds like your team are on the ball and are looking after you very well :)

Take care and rest lots. XX

Reactions: Scarlet10

MelissaC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Pilzy-89 Sorry to hear you've had to go through all that! I hope you are now resting up. Can't believe you are over 35 weeks already - time has really flown by! Good luck with everything xx

MelissaC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@hboyt Thank you :) I know it's not perfect but I'm hoping it'll improve if I keep working at it. I've recently bought the 'Think Like A Pancreas' book as so many people have said it helped them, so I'm hoping it helps me improve my blood sugars too!

Well done on getting down to 47, that's amazing! :) x

Pilzy-89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@azure I am putting my feet up as much as possible, dislike watching the hubby do everything and I can't help I should enjoy it I guess, as you say, it won't be long before I can't just sit and read a book all day! The team really are amazing

Thanks @MelissaC I know, I can't quite believe I am that far along. Doesn't feel two minutes since I started posting on here whilst still getting my HbA1c into range to even start trying!

Had a check up this morning and protein was way up again and bp was high but bp came down to a level where they were happy. Baby was monitored on CTG and was happy as Larry in there. They said I could go home today as I have midwife in the morning and clinic in the afternoon tomorrow, thankfully.

Booked the induction date today for 15th June but this was a doctor I hadn't seen before and she said they will go for induction and natural rather than c section. Am going to talk to diabetes and obstetric team tomorrow and double check that with them, just to see if it is the best option in their opinion too.

As always, wishing everyone who is trying to get their HbA1c down or get pregnant, and those that are pregnant, the best of luck with everything! xx

Pilzy-89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just to update you lovely ladies whilst I am struggling to sleep (bit of a long post I'm afraid) sorry!

I had a severe hypo Tuesday night whilst in bed, I tested and it was 1.9. I had some sugar, turned to my husband and said "can you go to the kitchen and get some more sugar, I'm really low and need some." That is the last thing I remember until I woke with 3 paramedics feeding me those nasty glucose tubes. They were working on me for a few hours, feeding me all sorts of stuff, maple syrup, icing sugar, jam on toast, Nutella on toast, sweets, a total of 3 glucose tubes... lord knows what else. Apparently I was conscious for some of it but not making sense, as well as f'ing and blinding at my poor husband. He totally did the right thing calling the ambulance. Got taken in to the emergency department and admitted back on the ward I was in last week (same bed and everything!)

Closely monitored all of Wednesday day and overnight. My blood pressure was scarily high over night on the Weds/Thurs and took over my usual daily dose of meds to bring down. The doctors weren't happy so agreed Thursday morning I should be induced that day as my body was clearly not coping wth pregnancy anymore (I was 36 weeks).

Induction began Thursday afternoon but little mans heart rate kept dropping a minute or so after contractions started so induction was stopped and I was whisked around for an emergency c section. Harrison was born 08/06/17 at 6:46pm weighing 7lb6oz. He had difficulty breathing because of the fluid in his lungs and was a little jaundice so is currently having a few days in the NICU (I went back to the same ward I was on before, same bed again - nice and quiet as it's supposed to be a pre birth ward but the hospital has seen an extremely busy period so no beds elsewhere - more sleep for me ;) ). I held him for the first time yesterday afternoon, such an amazing feeling. He is doing better and on the lowest amount of oxygen now, hoping he can come off it in the next day or so so proud of him. Haven't got a picture to share yet but hopefully once he is out of NICU and with me on a ward, I will be able to snap lots of pictures!

Just wanted to say a massive thank you for everyone's advice and support throughout my pregnancy and before hand (and now afterwards I am sure!).
I love this little thread here especially xx

Scarlet10

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Aw congratulation on getting baby Harrison here safe xx Congratulations on becoming a mammy xx
I'm nearly 30 weeks so I like reading your posts as I have blood pressure problems.
I hope Harrison will be with on ward soon. Exciting times ahead xx
Best wishes xx

Reactions: Freema and Pilzy-89

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Congratulations @Pilzy-89 ! :) Welcome to the world, little Harrison :)

Although you had the most scary experience with that hypo, it sounds like you had great cars from the medical team - and your husband!

Sending you all my love and congratulations XXX

Reactions: Freema and Pilzy-89