Help..

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Hi, first time mummy and worried as been diagnosed with diabetes in my pregnancy
Average sugar level? What is everyone's as I'm sure mine is high and low ..
thank you

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi, first time mummy and worried as been diagnosed with diabetes in my pregnancy
Average sugar level? What is everyone's as I'm sure mine is high and low ..
thank you

Welcome @Daniellarose91 and congratulations on your pregnancy :)

First of all, don't worry :) The screening for Gestatiinal Diabetes has been tightened up so that its identifying more ladies with GD. That's good as it means you can get any help that you might need.

How many weeks are you? Have you seen a dietician yet? How high are your blood sugars?

Reactions: gvintagedrken
Type of diabetes
Gestational
Welcome @Daniellarose91 and congratulations on your pregnancy :)

First of all, don't worry :) The screening for Gestatiinal Diabetes has been tightened up so that its identifying more ladies with GD. That's good as it means you can get any help that you might need.

How many weeks are you? Have you seen a dietician yet? How high are your blood sugars?

Hiya..
They did give me all the details and websites but don't seem much help with me.
This evening is 9.8 hour after my dinner which was chicken and brown rice?

This morning 4.2 which isn't bad?

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Your 4.2 is good :) The 9.8 is a bit higher than ideal but it's still,early days so it will take you a while to find what works for you.

Keeping records of what you eat and your blood sugar after will be really helpful if you need input from a dietician or nurse as they'll be able to make suggestions. For example, you might find you can only tolerate a smaller portion of rice than you usually have. You might also find that adding a little more fat to your meal can slow down the blood sugar rise. You can also bulk meals out with extra veg.

This site explains the principles well:

http://www.gestationaldiabetes.co.uk/gestational-diabetes-diet/

You'll find food like full fat Greek yoghurt, peanut butter (no added sugar), nuts, etc good to slow down blood sugar rises and to help keep your blood sugar smooth.

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have always been told no higher than 7.8 at 1 hr after eating... if it is higher than that test again at 2 hrs to see if it is coming down. If it is high consistently then I would call the diabetes midwife and get it sorted a.s.a.p.

4.2 is excellent.

I would look at the volume of carbs your eating, my dietitian told us to aim for 50-60g of carbs per meal (personally I go lower but I was already a low carber and know what my body can take and can't take so I wouldn't advise it)

Yes brown rice is said to be good but measure out the right amount...

Also I agree that you should ask to see a dietitian to get help as each hospital is different and gives different advice! (Yep this is silly)

Anyway don't worry for now, keep testing and if in doubt they should have given you the diabetes midwives phone number. Give her a call and she can help you better than us.