'Smudgy' vision in one eye

marathonmona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My latest Hb showed an increase from 53 to 59. On the whole I've been good but I've made some bad carby choices occasionally.

My last screening (June 16) showed background retinopathy.

For about a month now, I've had what I would call 'smudgy' vision in my right eye. It's also slightly red and somewhat dry. I bought some fake tears from the optician and although it refreshes my eye, it does nothing for the smudgy eye.

I have read about 'blurry' vision and it being due to high sugar levels (mine range from 5 to 8) but I don't think my vision is blurry. It feels more like a permanent blotch; it's a bit like when you accidentally get suncream in your eye and your vision is affected.

I've just had my latest screening and will receive my results next week. I am bricking it. If the results haven't changed of course I will visit my doctor. The optician has asked if I would since the vision is the same whether I wear my lenses or my glasses.

Anyway; has anyone ever had symptoms like mine? The slightly red, dry, smudgy eye? Did it go away? Could it just be dry eye?

Thanks

Dark Horse

Reactions: marathonmona

marathonmona

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dry eye can affect vision:- http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Dry-eye-syndrome/Pages/Introduction.aspx

There are some self-help measures:- http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Dry-eye-syndrome/Pages/Prevention.aspx

Of course it is possible to have dry eye along with another eye condition that affects vision so if you get an annual recall from your eye screening results it's worth getting checked out by the optician.

Thanks Darkhorse!

I'm really hoping my results don't show anything bad. Fingers crossed.

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Had exactly the same thing .... mine disappeared after a few weeks, though I did have annoying build up of rubbish on the lens

Dunno how often you alternate (specs and contacts), but check your prescriptions on both. Optician called for as we don't want risks with that stuff

Reactions: marathonmona