Brodiebear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabeties
Hi everyone,

Moved offices to a the top floor (10th storey) of a glass building. The side I sit in (team) faces the sun from sunrise and the floor has been toping out at around 28 degrees. Now I am convinced this heat with my T2 diabetes is making me very sleepy during the day ( am I correct) can I then request I work from home ?

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

Moved offices to a the top floor (10th storey) of a glass building. The side I sit in (team) faces the sun from sunrise and the floor has been toping out at around 28 degrees. Now I am convinced this heat with my T2 diabetes is making me very sleepy during the day ( am I correct) can I then request I work from home ?
There is only guidance regarding minimum and maximum working temperatures in the UK workplace.

https://www.gov.uk/workplace-temperatures

I'd say 28degC is unreasonable, especially if it is prolonged. Is it at all possible to move desk?

Reactions: Sani Thomas

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi everyone,

Also might be what you are eating for lunch? What kind of things do you normally eat?

Brodiebear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabeties
Thanks for the replies, I can't move desk as the floor is full plus we are grouped as teams. Food wise, same as I eat when the temperature isn't high, chicken, tuna, salad or rice. Will just have to monitor and see how I go. If I can see a pattern with the heat and tiredness will go to HR

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Thanks for the replies, I can't move desk as the floor is full plus we are grouped as teams. Food wise, same as I eat when the temperature isn't high, chicken, tuna, salad or rice. Will just have to monitor and see how I go. If I can see a pattern with the heat and tiredness will go to HR

I think it would acceptable to ask for a fan, but I would think most offices these days have air con ? I can wilt in the heat and my BS can drop a lot too.
Good luck

Brodiebear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabeties
Can the consistant temperature, been above 26.5 also affect my blood readings ?, they seem to b a lot higher. Again nothing has changed in my diet.

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
Hi @Brodiebear , I find insulin is absorbed really quickly in the heat, and then leaves me quite high. Also when the office is cold I need to reduce my insulin/carb ratios or eat a little more. I hope you soon find a solution x

Blinks

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Can the consistant temperature, been above 26.5 also affect my blood readings ?, they seem to b a lot higher. Again nothing has changed in my diet.
I know your post is a bit old now but I've just posted a similar question, I'm convinced it's the heat that's sending my sugars and ketone so high, I'm in a hospital and the temperature is mad even with fans, no wonder our patients are wilting and being told they have high temperatures!

lipalmer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Although there are no maximum temperature rules for offices, the Workplace regulations just state they should be 'resonable'.

However, conversely, your employer should make reasonable adjustments to make you comfortable and ensure your health is not at risk under the disability discrimination act. I would say that a fan or small air conditioner, or a desk move would not be an unreasonable request for someone with a long term health condition. Li

Reactions: Grumpy ole thing