Worried about high levels

sugar-rush123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi im 17 weeks pregnant and sometimes no matter what i eat i stay high. All day ive been between 8-9 i hav 4 units with meals. Im worried itll harm baby. Usually within target so is it ok as a one off.
9.1 before dinner now and hungry

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Hi im 17 weeks pregnant and sometimes no matter what i eat i stay high. All day ive been between 8-9 i hav 4 units with meals. Im worried itll harm baby. Usually within target so is it ok as a one off.
Your dosage may need to be reviewed if you are frequently high. 4 units should not affect your pregnancy, but better to get assessed by your gp if you have doubts. 8-9 are not serious readings, but it would be better to aim below 7. It is sometimes difficult to stay within a preferred bracket due to influences such as stress, infections and high activity. I have periods of stability, then bounce out of the range in both directions. If I am fatigued or have a viral infection, the glucose levels jump dramatically, as high as 28, and as low as 2.1. But most of the time I am stable.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Are you carb counting? If you're on set doses for meals, you'll need to carb count and eat the 'right' amount of carbs for your 4 units.

If this has only started happening today, I'd change to fresh insulin in case it's become less effective.

Have you done any correction doses?

sugar-rush123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Are you carb counting? If you're on set doses for meals, you'll need to carb count and eat the 'right' amount of carbs for your 4 units.

If this has only started happening today, I'd change to fresh insulin in case it's become less effective.

Have you done any correction doses?
Hey, ive been not to correct myself as ive only been on it 2weeks and during that have had hypos too. I stick to 15g or less for breakfast otherwise i struggle to be i the target. Its all new to me really but i will change my pen and see if that helps. I havent been carb counting as such but did to vring my hba1c down when first diagnosed (pre-pregnancy)
Thank you for advice im just worried that days like today (perhaps stressful) have affected me and i dont have much control over that

sugar-rush123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Your dosage may need to be reviewed if you are frequently high. 4 units should not affect your pregnancy, but better to get assessed by your gp if you have doubts. 8-9 are not serious readings, but it would be better to aim below 7. It is sometimes difficult to stay within a preferred bracket due to influences such as stress, infections and high activity. I have periods of stability, then bounce out of the range in both directions. If I am fatigued or have a viral infection, the glucose levels jump dramatically, as high as 28, and as low as 2.1. But most of the time I am stable.
I have felt a little stressed today and i didnt know this affected us but it helps to know that short term readings of 8/9 arent bad in the long run mostly im wiyhin target, just hope i dont have more days like this. Will ask to have my dose upped a little. Thank you

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey, ive been not to correct myself as ive only been on it 2weeks and during that have had hypos too. I stick to 15g or less for breakfast otherwise i struggle to be i the target. Its all new to me really but i will change my pen and see if that helps. I havent been carb counting as such but did to vring my hba1c down when first diagnosed (pre-pregnancy)
Thank you for advice im just worried that days like today (perhaps stressful) have affected me and i dont have much control over that

Blood sugar targets during pregnancy are <5.3 fasting and <7.8 1hr after meals.

I'm not sure you understand what carb counting is? Carb counting means adjusting your insulin dose to match what you are eating.

If you're on set doses, rather than carb counting, you should ask your DSN what carb intake that fixed dose is designed to be covering.

You should also ask your DSN for guidance on correction doses.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Don't panic about one day :)

See how the fresh insulin goes. If you're still going high, then it could be your doses need adjusting - or your carbs. On set doses, you need to,eat a specific amount of carbs for each meal. The amount of carbs might be different for breakfast, lunch and tea even though you're taking 4 units for all those meals.

I'd also ask about correction doses so that if you do have highs as the pregnancy progresses and the placental hormones cause increased insulin resistance, you can correct confidently and safely.

sugar-rush123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you for your advice its like learning all over again and at least i know what things to ask when i next see my clinic nurse aaand now i know what carb counting is lol i took it literally then!

Reactions: azure