T1ED General Chat Thread

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd join the discussion but I am type 2. Not only type 1s have neuropathy

Is your neuropathy as a result of diabulimia, as described in the first post:
Insulin omission resulting in high blood glucose levels and HBA1C can often cause significant damage to nerves
?

Or another eating disorder? Bearing in mind this is a discussion in the eating disorders and diabetes sub forum. That's what the ED in the thread title stands for.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
?

Or another eating disorder? Bearing in mind this is a discussion in the eating disorders and diabetes sub forum. That's what the ED in the thread title stands for.

ED, some at a first glance, may see it as, Erectile Dysfunction( and not seeing the eating disorders and diabetes) ? I didn't now ED was an abbreviation for - Eating Disorder, but thankfully I have never suffered from an eating disorder, but I know it does happen :(

Reactions: azure

asortafairytale

DWED Support
Staff Member
?

Yes agreed (and of course I know what forum we are in! I am a mod), but insulin omission is the primary cause of prolonged high blood glucose in those wth eating disorders and diabetes. Even with any eating disorder involved it is a lack of insulin that is the contributor. I can amend for clarity but can you see what I was trying to put across.

asortafairytale

DWED Support
Staff Member
ED, some at a first glance, may see it as, Erectile Dysfunction( and not seeing the eating disorders and diabetes) ? I didn't now ED was an abbreviation for - Eating Disorder, but thankfully I have never suffered from an eating disorder, but I know it does happen :(
I aim to be posting a FAQ post in due course with a list of technical terms but please be patient with us as we try to get the forum in order. At the moment it is mostly just me in charge here with help of another global mod as a software issue means our moderator abilities have not been approved yet.

Reactions: Snapsy

asortafairytale

DWED Support
Staff Member
I'd join the discussion but I am type 2. Not only type 1s have neuropathy
No that is true but as said above this is a thread where those that have neuropathy resulting from an eating disorder and type 1 diabetes can post freely. I am sure you can find support elsewhere on the forum however :).

Reactions: azure

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

I also read it as Erectile Dysfunction even though I know Eating Disorder is also abbreviated to ED.

@asortafairytale Perhaps you don't realise that most forum users use the "new posts" or "recent posts" pages to navigate to a thread they may be interested in rather than from the list of different forums. Your ED threads appear on these pages, so most just look at the highlighted thread title irrespective of which forum it was posted in. I have to say the thread title isn't clear.

I hope you don't mind me pointing this out. It is not meant to be a criticism.

D

Deleted member 308541

@asortafairytale Perhaps you don't realise that most forum users use the "new posts" or "recent posts" pages to navigate to a thread they may be interested in rather than from the list of different forums. Your ED threads appear on these pages, so most just look at the highlighted thread title irrespective of which forum it was posted in. I have to say the thread title isn't clear.
I have run foul of this as I only use the "Recent Posts", and I posted in one of the OP threads and got into troubles with what I posted. :meh:

ED stands for Erectile Dysfunction as far as I'm concerned.

Perhaps the eating disorder section can be a subscription area (segregated) only where you join up to post and read the threads, but remains hidden from the main forum. This way no ones feelings get bruised by comments made.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Rather than a segregated area, prefixes might help @Tipetoo For this forum and any others where it would be useful :)

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I think segregation of an eating disorder thread only makes it seem more secretive and shameful. People with eating disorders often struggle to share, having threads openly visible shows that the forum recognises the issues and aims to support. An unambiguous prefix would help - I also assumed sexual issues until I saw the name of the OP.

asortafairytale

DWED Support
Staff Member
We used the ED+T1 prefix so to distinguish these threads from any that might be appearing elsewhere in relation to general diabetes issues on account of the fact people often use 'view new posts etc', in the hope they'd also check which forum the post would be coming from. But of course, the title area isn't long enough to put 'eating disorder' (or is it?). I am really not sure that the answer is to this.

asortafairytale

DWED Support
Staff Member
I think segregation of an eating disorder thread only makes it seem more secretive and shameful. People with eating disorders often struggle to share, having threads openly visible shows that the forum recognises the issues and aims to support. An unambiguous prefix would help - I also assumed sexual issues until I saw the name of the OP.
What would you suggest as an unambiguous prefix?

As an aside, could a mod please move these to our 'general chat' thread. Thanks. This thread is supposed to be for issues relating to neuropathy and eating disorders. @DCUKMod

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
What would you suggest as an unambiguous prefix?

As an aside, could a mod please move these to our 'general chat' thread. Thanks. This thread is supposed to be for issues relating to neuropathy and eating disorders. @DCUKMod
How short does it need to be? Eating disorders is clear but you say too long.
Insulin avoidance?
Diabulemia?
The main thing is that people affected can find it.

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
We used the ED+T1 prefix so to distinguish these threads from any that might be appearing elsewhere in relation to general diabetes issues on account of the fact people often use 'view new posts etc', in the hope they'd also check which forum the post would be coming from. But of course, the title area isn't long enough to put 'eating disorder' (or is it?). I am really not sure that the answer is to this.
I have amended the title of your thread to reflect the specific area of Diabetes concerned as the above posts have caused some confusion.

asortafairytale

DWED Support
Staff Member
I have amended the title of your thread to reflect the specific area of Diabetes concerned as the above posts have caused some confusion.

Thank you so much.

I honestly believed that having 'eating disorder' also in the title would be too many characters, plus it was another mod that suggested the t1+ed prefix. I apologise for not realising this, though. I propose that the other threads for gastroparesis and retinopathy be changed in this way too if that can be arranged @himtoo @DCUKMod.

As said I'd appreciate it if these threads could be added to the general chat thread which can probably be unstickied as I will be posting a FAQ guide tomorrow.

Once the tech issues are resolved and DWED mods have the right privileges this will all be far easier. Please do appreciate that I am trying the best I can to keep everyone happy here.

Reactions: himtoo

jacqfromdwed

DWED Support
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This forum is prety much new to all of us - there are going to be teething problems. As stated above it will be easier when its not just @asortafairytale pretty much looking after it herself (from the DWED front). ED may be short for something else but it is also really really common nomlecature in ED forums, essentially it's short hand that we have used for ages, also there are more eating disorders among type ones than just insulin omission (diabulimia) which is why we can't just use that - I suggest T1ED type 1 eating disordered it covers everything and soon enough people will get used to the shorthand. Also the reason that this particular forum is segregated is that it is due to be manned by DWED mods who will only be involved in this section of the forum (unless they otherwise choose)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think there is sometimes confusion with these DWED threads. There are many types of eating disorders so the title 'Eating disorders and diabetes' doesn't always express to every individual poster on this large forum what DWED really means. It's a tough one to express in a title really. For example, a lot of T2s who are obese would consider they too have an eating disorder. They also are diabetic so could think these threads are for them, after all the threads do come up in the main recent posts list. I don't know the answer I'm afraid but it will be difficult to stop others posting while the threads are on this large open forum and keep coming up on the new/recent posts lists for all to see.

You guys at DWED do a great job btw ( I would have put a smiley face, but the emojis on this site are way too slow today ) :)

Gosh that smiley worked - by typing it out lol!

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
How about, instead of putting DWED (which took me a while to work out) why not put the name of the actual eating disorder.

And, yes, @zand is completely correct, I consider that I had (and potentially could again have) an emotional and/or overeating, and pathological attachment to food disorder.

(Fifth attempt to post this) - and I've given up on the smileys

Reactions: zand