Diabetic musicians

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
***** sweets, runny egg, drag artists (sorry to all the RuPaul fans!), Donald J. Trump
I've been a performing musician for 12 years now, I can't imagine doing anything different. I've done a lot of different things - vocals, drums, bass in various bands, choirs (you'll see the choir I was in on Pitch Battle on BBC One) and now I'm an acoustic singer songwriter.

I was just curious to see how many other diabetic musicians there are on here, would love to chat and get to know some of you :)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I've been a performing musician for 12 years now, I can't imagine doing anything different. I've done a lot of different things - vocals, drums, bass in various bands, choirs (you'll see the choir I was in on Pitch Battle on BBC One) and now I'm an acoustic singer songwriter.

I was just curious to see how many other diabetic musicians there are on here, would love to chat and get to know some of you :)

Tagging @Jaylee he's a musician. You sound a very talented person, I hope you have many more year's of singing and songwriting :)

Reactions: gvintagedrken

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm a drummer by nature - there is photographic evidence of a baby me with a drum - I play guitar and recorder, castanets, three holed pipe and might start on the violin. I have played other things in the past as I used to be around the folk scene in Portsmouth and try to get to the Sidmouth Folk Festival each year.
I play for longsword, maypole and morris, and I sing - I've written a couple of songs but hardly need to as I know a lot of traditional and written songs from other people.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a church organist/musician plus a bit of piano teaching around my main job in additional needs education. I have been a full time self employed piano and clarinet teacher, but find this mix of employed/self employed works better for me (more regular, "pays the bills" income via main job, and the music income is for the fun stuff)

I certainly can't imagine my life without music.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I was chuckling a few days ago - I was asked for my bank details so someone could pay me for helping out at a school doing the maypole dancing and longsword - my first legitimate payment ever for a gig. It has only taken until I have reached 66 years old.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

There was a young lady who had type 1 and posted a few video's of her singing and playing the guitar, she had an amazing voice but I just forget what her username is :rolleyes:

I use to play the guitar (badly) but never played in a band.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
There was a young lady who had type 1 and posted a few video's of her singing and playing the guitar, she had an amazing voice but I just forget what her username is :rolleyes:

I remember posting on her thread, a very talented young woman :)

Last edited:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Her name was @Jelaca?

Hi @garinsionfitter ,

I have been known to write a few tunes in my time.. What better way to get to know me than this song. Lol

Spencer67

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Carbs and Blue Meanies
Her name was @Jelaca?

Hi @garinsionfitter ,

I have been known to write a few tunes in my time.. What better way to get to know me than this song. Lol

You rock Jaylee. wow.

giphy.gif

I've done a bit too on Guitar mainly blues and folk. Hello musical comrades.

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other

Hi @garinsionfitter I'm a musician - I used to be in a band and we toured a bit when I was younger. I've been playing for about 40 yrs now. I built my own studio and spend a lot of my recreational time composing and recording music. I gave up on music professionally about 20 years ago - database programming makes a lot more money LOL.

I play guitars, piano, banjo, percussion, harmonica and do vocals - I think that's everything. My last band was the "Loud Americans" and we had two type 1s in that band - the drummer and myself - I also suspect we were probably the healthiest LOL.

You can hear my stuff on SoundCloud - https://soundcloud.com/ronald-scott-fletcher - I also have some stuff on YouTube -

Getting in to music as a kid was probably the best thing I ever did - aside from learning how to manage my diabetes :)

alex_punk

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Hi, I've been a working musician for nearly 40 years. I've been type 2 for 6 years now. As a singer and guitarist in many (mostly punk ) bands, I'm interested in finding out how other people deal with their diabetes. Thanks

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I've been a working musician for nearly 40 years. I've been type 2 for 6 years now. As a singer and guitarist in many (mostly punk ) bands, I'm interested in finding out how other people deal with their diabetes. Thanks

Hi Alex,

Welcome to the forum.

I guess the first thing for me is make sure I run my bloods at an optimum level of between 5.5 & 7.5mmol for a gig.
I don't eat anything for at least 8 hours prior to a show.

& keep some sort of sugary drink stage side should I drop low during performance...

Reactions: alf_Josiah

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
Mari Wilson, who writes for Diabetes UK (Just What I've Always wanted) is Type 1. Much though I enjoy music of the punk era and the aftermath - especially Ian Dury, I am mainly an organist (35 years now) and my diabetic experience was highlighted in 1986 when I had a severe hypo at the organ while communion was being taken and I fell into the arms of a passing acolyte! Probably would not have coped with touring with the College departmental jazz band from 1979-1982!

Reactions: alf_Josiah