DVLA NIGHTMARE

macj1

Has anyone else ever had to deal with the DVLA and tried to get a reasonable answer from them regarding wether they are going to reissue my license.
It's been going on for 8 weeks now and they will not discuss the issue with me when I phone them.
Any tips on dealing with them welcome.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I was just renewed my licence this year, but the time before that I had a similar wait to yourself, on ringing the DVLA they said they were doing some medical checks and that was the reason for the delay, however the chap on the phone said not to worry as if I didn't here back before my licence had expired I was still OK to drive, he said something about a regulation that allows people to drive if the DVLA haven't conducted their investigations before a licence expires.

So if the DVLA haven't told you you can't drive you should be fine.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Like @noblehead , I've had simalar waits in the past to the point I forgot all about it...
Then flap! It drops through the door.. :)

No news is always good!

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Just a point - you can always check on the GOV website the current status of your licence to see when it's due for renewal and confirm it's still current but they do send out renewal docs about 3 months before it's due to expire :)

buckmr2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Exercise
You're OK to drive if they're doing medical checks for your renewal after your licence expires.Mine expired the renewal before last while they were doing ongoing checks and abour a month later the new licence arrived.
Ironically last renewal the new licence arrived within a few days so no time to do all their checks thoroughly given shortage of "staff" medically qualified to tick the boxes before it passes for the next 'check".

james11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Have the same issues every year...hgv driver on insulin...my license expires because they always running behind...i dont worry about it any more...although my employer has to have it explained and the section 88 business shown to him...lol....not been stopped by police...now that would be fun...lol...

Grumpy ole thing

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
discovering you cant actually turn the stairs round, or move the roof...
Has anyone else ever had to deal with the DVLA and tried to get a reasonable answer from them regarding wether they are going to reissue my license.
It's been going on for 8 weeks now and they will not discuss the issue with me when I phone them.
Any tips on dealing with them welcome.

Hi, earlier this year my renewal was really quick, possibly as I have sometimes waited the full year before receiving my licence, so I already knew to send everything recorded delivery. I think we've had some info on here to say the DVLA have been required to issue much clearer guidelines, possibly around February this year? Yes, DVLA can be a nightmare, twice in the last 10 years my MP has had to raise questions in the house. Carb counts, blood tests, injections; no problem. Govt. agencies; I loose the will to live ;-)

Reactions: james11