Metformin substitute

Luf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Evening all
Does anybody know of a metformin substitute that does not have the same side effects. I have tried Glucophase and Sukkarto slow release but both have given me upset stomach which is not good when you drive for a living
DN insists that I take them but need alternative.
Thanks

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Metformin only reduces blood sugars slightly. A low carb diet is much more effective. Having reduced my HbA1C from 99 to 44 by eating low carb, I have now stopped taking Metformin.

S

Sean01

I switched from metformin to metformin time release and felt less discomfort. You already mentioned time release but it wasn't clear if you had tried metformin time release.

Reactions: Cas1367

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Perhaps speak to your doctor if the nurse is adamant, - my time taking Metformin was dreadful, and when I stopped them there wasn't a bit of difference to my situation other than I could have a normal life, which Metformin was preventing. I could not go out for a walk or any type of exercise, could not get a good night's sleep, could not eat properly and was totally isolated in my own home, all negatives in the treatment of someone with a chronic illness.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
There are tools and techniques which can substitute metformin.
Diet changes and exercise hold all the answers.
They must be done a certain way which suits your bodies insulin resistance.
Have you a bg meter? @Luf

doomgerbil

Type of diabetes
Type 2
For me Metformin became unbearable. As a 24/7 carer the side effects and constant taking of loperamide was unbearable and after a few years I refused to take it any longer. Yes there are alternatives. Sitaglyptin was next.
Apolgies if I spelt that wrong btw. For me the result was, well, nothing. In fact my hba1c went up! So there are 4 options after that, presently I am on forxiga. Only been a week but other than a little thirstier and peeing greater quantities no side effects. My GP seems very positive about what is a relatively new treatment.
Don't be afraid to ask about all your options, and even to refuse a medecine that is making your life intolerable!
I have, in general discussion, found that a few friends have the same issues re metformin but have been taking it so long they had not made the connection! Of the other alternatives, 2 cause weight gain, totally unnacceptable for me, the other is an injection daily. Sorry but I don't know the names!
Good luck in finding the best treatment for you.

Reactions: chocks63

Bodacious

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Evening all
Does anybody know of a metformin substitute that does not have the same side effects. I have tried Glucophase and Sukkarto slow release but both have given me upset stomach which is not good when you drive for a living
DN insists that I take them but need alternative.
Thanks

I do. The only problem is that it is not available yet. It is fron s company called, Phyteau Functionals. They should have a product on the narket shortly that is both more effective than Metformin and safer. It is also just as inexpensive. If you follow then on their website at phyteau.co, and on Twitter at @phyteau you shoukd get all the updates and know first when it becomes available.

Reactions: ickihun

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As others have said cut out the carbs from your diet and you likely won't need any medication.

Pauly50

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ALOGLIPTIN 25mg Tablets, seems to cure the side effects

juliehills11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I really suffered with metformin and changed to sukkarto, but also had to change statins as they were reacting and causing stomach upset. It took occupational health and chemist to tell me about it when I showed them all my medication.

david1241

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
doctors and dentists.I would not be rude to any.Also i don't like being taken for granted.
About 2 years ago i was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.The doctor sent me away with a prescription for Metformin tablets.I went to Boots the chemist.The chemist told me i would have a bad stomach for about 2 week after taking them,then i would be ok.I thought well i feel fine nowWhy should i take these only to feel ill,so i never took them.In the meantime,i went to stay with my girlfriend in the Philippines for a few months.After a few week i srarted to suffer with sharp stabbing pains and hotaches in my legs below the knees due to high BG.So i went to the local pharmacy to buy some Metformin tablets.You can buy most meds over there without prescription The information leaflet with the Metformin had a list of possible side effects as long as your arm,some quite serious.At the end of the leaflet it said,this medicine will not prevent complications.I thought i would try them anyway.after 2 or 3 weeks taking them.I found i could not sit down comfortable my backside muscles ached that much.Then the right hand side of my right leg went weak.I found i could not use my right leg to climb the slightest step.then i started to get a severe pain in the right hand side of my back.i began to wonder if it was the Metformin was causing it.i stopped taking the tablets.Within 24 hours the pain had gone.i still had a weak right leg.
Then my right knee started collapsing without warning.Thank goodness it has now cleared up,very unerving.Yes they can stuff the Metformin.

RichardM6

As Sean01, I went through the same experience -metformin generic- and it helped all the diarrhoea and stomach upset. I found that Sukkarto was not effective at all in my case, just generic.

Reactions: Bodacious

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As Sean01, I went through the same experience -metformin generic- and it helped all the diarrhoea and stomach upset. I found that Sukkarto was not effective at all in my case, just generic.
I too am having problems with Sukkarto not working properly. I started a thread specific to this drug, but so far no one using it has commented on the thread,

Reactions: Bodacious

Reddog

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dear Oh Dear, I take 2 x 500 mg twice a day , I never had any side effects, One size does not fit all in this case!!

Bodacious

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I too am having problems with Sukkarto not working properly. I started a thread specific to this drug, but so far no one using it has commented on the thread,

Sukkarto is just prolonged-release Metformin. Theoretically, it should last longer, but depending on the dose, you probably have less of it in your system at any given time.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I do. The only problem is that it is not available yet. It is fron s company called, Phyteau Functionals. They should have a product on the narket shortly that is both more effective than Metformin and safer. It is also just as inexpensive. If you follow then on their website at phyteau.co, and on Twitter at @phyteau you shoukd get all the updates and know first when it becomes available.

Sorry but the safety and effective would not be truly know until a drug has been used for many years with many people. New drugs are always a unknown risk, old drugs we tend to know what the risks are. Hence the new drugs are should first be used by people who clearly don't get on well with the current drugs.

As to cost it will cost more, given how cheap Metformin is, but if it proved to work well, it should not be an issue unless it is very expensive. (If I recall correctly Metformin costs about £3 per month, most T2 drugs that have been out for less then 15 years cost at least £30 per month.)

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
presently I am on forxiga. Only been a week but other than a little thirstier and peeing greater quantities no side effects. My GP seems very positive about what is a relatively new treatment.
Don't be afraid to ask about all your options, and even to refuse a medecine that is making your life intolerable!
I have, in general discussion, found that a few friends have the same issues re metformin but have been taking it so long they had not made the connection! Of the other alternatives, 2 cause weight gain, totally unnacceptable for me, the other is an injection daily. Sorry but I don't know the names!.

That's expected with forxiga, it makes you pee out the BG! (Hence drip stick tests are not valid when on forxiga.) I expect that within a few years forxiga (or other drugs in the same group) will become the 2nd most common T2 drug.

Metformin is great for people like me who gets along with it, and as it is in a different group Forxiga can be added if Metformin is not enough on its own.