Hot weather

theoldfunker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wish I read the advice on diabetes and hot weather. Got a high of 12 yesterday afternoon sitting in the sun, started to panic as I needed to drive home.drank plenty of water but it didn't have much effect.
Today I've been in the 9s again panic and drinking water but after a check on DIABETES.CO.UK the answer was there.
Spent an hour in a cool room with bottle of water and 5.4 mmol. Relieved to be back in the normal numbers.

Reactions: leslie10152

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Hi theoldfunker yes I agree this hot weather been playing havoc with my bgs usually around the 5mark sometimes now can be 11to12 its got to be the weather good luck.

Reactions: Dellygluc

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Aye, I have seen a return of the dry mouth and peeing that I thought I had seen the last of. The peeing is really annoying when you're busy.

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep heat seems to send me up! That along with stress

Reactions: Guzzler

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm loathing the heat. Especially in the evenings. How can it possibly still be 24c at 9pm? Ugh...

I used to thrive in the heat - how I took those days for granted!

Reactions: Guzzler

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm either high or low. No rhyme or reason. Sitting in front of a fan and hydrating with water does seem to help even if not immediately

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Wish I read the advice on diabetes and hot weather. Got a high of 12 yesterday afternoon sitting in the sun, started to panic as I needed to drive home.drank plenty of water but it didn't have much effect.
Today I've been in the 9s again panic and drinking water but after a check on DIABETES.CO.UK the answer was there.
Spent an hour in a cool room with bottle of water and 5.4 mmol. Relieved to be back in the normal numbers.
Hi @theoldfunker. I don't like summer, it really messes with my bgl's! I dehydrate rapidly and become lethargic and irritable.

Reactions: LalaALH

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
BTW, does anyone have the link to the hot weather vs diabetes advice? I seem to be coping particularly poorly this year: I'm still awake at 5am - only now is the house feeling cool enough to sleep, and I've given up trying to sleep upstairs all together because it roasts like an oven, despite open windows, fans blah blah.

Itchy feet are also making me miserable. Could be anything, I know, but I'm blaming the heat.

Edit: Wait, found it:

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes-and-hot-weather.html

Reactions: theoldfunker

theoldfunker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

theoldfunker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm loathing the heat. Especially in the evenings. How can it possibly still be 24c at 9pm? Ugh...

I used to thrive in the heat - how I took those days for granted!
Hi SockFiddler interesting tag ! Sunday was going to be my fasting day started well with water and coffee with cream but went loopie after that.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Is hot weather just bothering over-weight diabetics?

I don't think so. I've seen type1s affected by hot weather too.

Naively I used to think it was only due to my weight. Nope!!!

Like info says it can affect hypo prone diabetes too.

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
myself im type 1 diabetic and suffer from excess sweating very embarrassing it comes from my head and my tee shirt around the neck and back is drenched I'm told its diabetic related, ive a GPappointment july 23rd . I believe its 1 in 50 with same problem. so now I'm prepared loads of kitchen roll I was told to check my BG meter level when it happens. hypos can also be culprit, 10 minutes after the sweating attack I'm ok I'm back to normal. its also happening when I hoover the house ,, any one else experiencing this

Reactions: theoldfunker

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
myself im type 1 diabetic and suffer from excess sweating very embarrassing it comes from my head and my tee shirt around the neck and back is drenched I'm told its diabetic related, ive a GPappointment july 23rd . I believe its 1 in 50 with same problem. so now I'm prepared loads of kitchen roll I was told to check my BG meter level when it happens. hypos can also be culprit, 10 minutes after the sweating attack I'm ok I'm back to normal. its also happening when I hoover the house ,, any one else experiencing this
I've been using roll on deodrante on forehead and neck/behind ears. It has helped. Straight after a shower has been ideal time to apply.
I feel am having practice runs for the menopause.
Only develpoed for me since reaching perfect bgs on and a little off. When not on insulin on high bgs I didn't sweat nor get breathless.
Breathlessness is very prominate for me on teetering hypos or hypers on insulin. On Metformin only I didn't experience these unpleasantries.

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I am finding hot weather impacts my BG to a far greater extent than I can control with diet.
I can easily see a 2 or 3mmol increase pretty quickly which refuses to go down. I am waiting for my summer holiday in august to do some proper testing in whether Bacardi and diet cola on ice, red wine or the pool take it down the quickest :)

fletchweb

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I can relate to that - the profile picture is me yesterday before I got sun burned - I used a lot of sun screen too. Anyway - I noticed my BGs were a bit tricky to control last night - I'm assuming because of the sun burn - I had to give myself an extra shot just to keep it down over the night,
But we only have like three months of summer so I'm going to enjoy it regardless of the affect on BGs. 28 C today and I gotta work!