Diabetes and Kidney disease

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cigarette smoking and consumption of alcohol.

sin85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm sorry, I've only just seen this.
I'm t1, I have stage 4 chronic kidnEtc Disease (CKD) with my last GFR calculated at 20. It has been as low as 12 - so improved! I had to have a nephrostomy but have other treatments now.

It is terrifying when you start to have kidney issues. There seems to be little information, and the fear of dialysis looms over you. But please don't panic. Something like 10% of people with CKD end up needing treatment such as dialysis and the earlier it's caught, the more that can be done to slow or halt the progress of chronic kidney disease. Also, it is important to remember than kidney function does decline as a natural part of ageing. (Although I'm only 35!)

The first thing is to speak to your doctor. How do you know it's getting worse? Most kidney disease is symptom free unless it is an acute issue like an infection or later stage e.g. 3b or 4. If its verified by tests. The diabetic nurse can give you general advice.

Glycemic control is very important to prevent further damage, and most treatment is actually conservative such as healthy lifestyle. Advice on dietary factors would need to be tailored to your specific blood chemistry such as sodium and potassium intake should the dr think this necessary.

Weight management is important as too far from average either way can be detrimental. It is also important to look after your heart and blood pressure and bones so instead of low carb think balanced meals with good portion control.

Management of blood sugar also helps reduce the chance of infections of the kidneys and urinary tract which can further damage your kidneys. Some people recommend cranberry juice - the no added sugar type - obviously!

It really is that simple, which can seem contrary to the idea or fear of the consequences that something so essential isn't working as well as it once did. I remember when I was told feeling distinctly underwhelmed with the advice I was given, thinking the worst, but the common sense approach really is the best advice.

Hi can I ask you, what where your symptoms when you started having trouble with your kidneys? I am type1 and have it 13years lately I've been getting lots of kidney infections(3 since January) the last one cleared last week but I have been so thirsty lately and have a funny taste in my mouth. My hba1c is 7.7 but up to recently it had been over 8. I'm waiting on a kidney scan but my doctor says there's no sign of kidney issues in my blood test but I have a lot of pain in my back and under my ribs, I think this is the start of some kidney damage. Just wondering what symptoms did you have to begin with?

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
People shouting while on their phones.
Thank you for this I am 70 this December and I am obiese, I have disabilities including mobility and cannot exercise,I took. myself off or red meats a couple of years ago, I only eat chicken except when I have breakfast out.
I had a scan for bladder problems and they scanned my kidneys and said they were smaller, I drink no added sugar fruit juice regularly, my doctor says my kidneys are under a lot of strain, he will not give me testing strips even though I have asked for them he says my diet is fine but I need to lose weight, which is hard for me, I am thinking of going to the aqua pool (don't know if that is the right term for it) but it is the warm pool which will hopefully help me to move better and lose weight.
When you say control protein do you mean having little of it. I very rarely have cheese, eggs, bacon, will sometimes have chips out but not often, but will have Jacket potato.

He has taken me off Metlformin and has kept me on a byetta injection which has helped me lose weight while on Metformin but now I am finding it harder. I have no way of knowing what my blood sugar is as I can not test it, but it seems I will have to buy my own testing strips.

I am grateful for your post as it helps to get information from someone like yourself, thank you so much.

Reactions: gvintagedrken

sheepie123

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I dont know about this - The more protein on a LCHF Diet the harder kidneys have to work to remove it. Meaning that you could get a false positive.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for this I am 70 this December and I am obiese, I have disabilities including mobility and cannot exercise,I took. myself off or red meats a couple of years ago, I only eat chicken except when I have breakfast out.
I had a scan for bladder problems and they scanned my kidneys and said they were smaller, I drink no added sugar fruit juice regularly, my doctor says my kidneys are under a lot of strain, he will not give me testing strips even though I have asked for them he says my diet is fine but I need to lose weight, which is hard for me, I am thinking of going to the aqua pool (don't know if that is the right term for it) but it is the warm pool which will hopefully help me to move better and lose weight.
When you say control protein do you mean having little of it. I very rarely have cheese, eggs, bacon, will sometimes have chips out but not often, but will have Jacket potato.

He has taken me off Metlformin and has kept me on a byetta injection which has helped me lose weight while on Metformin but now I am finding it harder. I have no way of knowing what my blood sugar is as I can not test it, but it seems I will have to buy my own testing strips.

I am grateful for your post as it helps to get information from someone like yourself, thank you so much.
Fruit juice contains fructose, a sugar, and quite a lot of it, so you do need to check on the amounts in various foods to see what is safe.
I cannot eat potatoes in any form without a high spike, as they contain starch, which is digested to form glucose, so I would really advise that you do get a meter and test your levels after eating so you can see which foods are safe for you to eat, and which cause spikes over 2 whole numbers (in mmol/l) which can cause damage. There are meters which do not cost a lot to use, as the strips are quite cheap and can be reduced with discount codes.

kentish maid

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who tell me I don't need to test my blood
my doctor told me a few years ago that I had chronic kidney failure and not to take anything for pain but panadols I had a kidney scan showed my kidneys are very small when I saw my diabetic nurse this year I asked her about my kidney function she said it was very good for a women of my age but she is very reluctant to give us our blood results as she thinks it would only worry us.

Ymdawd

Type of diabetes
Type 2
my doctor told me a few years ago that I had chronic kidney failure and not to take anything for pain but panadols I had a kidney scan showed my kidneys are very small when I saw my diabetic nurse this year I asked her about my kidney function she said it was very good for a women of my age but she is very reluctant to give us our blood results as she thinks it would only worry us.

You have an absolute right to know your results. Make a point of asking.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
T1D for 45 years and 18 months(ish) ago was diagnosed stage 4CKD. Have never really had control over my diabetes, even after loosing the sight in my left eye! but being diagnosed with CKD has really altered my life, I am now 95% in control of it.....WOW it has taken 44 years to do that :) imagine what I will be like when i am 90 years old :) :)

Reactions: Blackyk and Diakat

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hello porl69 thank you for your reply.I am 70 and have had diabetes since 2004 was doing all the wrong things till this last four years after I lost my partner suddenly.I still have problems with sugar cravings but anything like chocolate and sweets I never but only indulge at Christmas a little.But I love my food and dont have many taste buds anymore so like spicy foods or cover meals in sauce to have taste.I am trying very hard to have very small portions.But since Sepsis am finding it really hard to shed weight.Love coming here to see other people's messages it does help to know we are not alone.

Reactions: porl69 and Diakat

SueSmith

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.
You say that the Low Carb Programme is free - but they are asking me for £29.99, or provide a code. Is there a code available for this?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You say that the Low Carb Programme is free - but they are asking me for £29.99, or provide a code. Is there a code available for this?

It used to be free, but more recently they have made it subscription only, which is sad.

leahkian

Motherhen2014 i am post transplant which i had both kidney and pancreas done at the same time, they found my kidneys were failing when i was 21 and said i would need a transplant by the time i was 30. I was in bits they put me on statin's and asprin to keep mt BP down and to protect my heart. I hit 30 and had about 20% renal function but then for the next 7 years it just stayed around the same level, the doctors could not explain this and said i was a one off ( not the first time a doctor has said that). As i was having trouble with my diabetes at my local hospital i went to see a consultant at Newcastle and it was like seeing the light at the end of a tunnel. He got my diabetes sorted but the doctors at my local hospital were not sending him any letters about my renal function, i new that when i needed a transplant it would be done at Newcastle and the consultant i was seeing was part of the transplant team. So i changed all my care to Newcastle which is about 30-40 mins away but the care and trust i had in the doctors there was worth the travel. We had a meeting with all the doctors who would be involved in my transplant and the out come was to do a SPK. In april 2015 i got the call there was a match for me I went through a 7 hour op and the transplant went well but other problems came to light but i am still here to see my kids grow up. If you are in the early stages of renal failure it will only show up when the kidneys are working below 50% and with new research being done all the time they may be able to keep your renal function at a steady rate. Hope everything goes well for you

J E T 1 9 7 6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am at the moment having problems with my kidneys they are letting protieninto my urine and getting worse. I am off Metformin but still on the beyetta injections. What can I do if anything to change my situation, I did try low carb but starting weight gain so stopped. can you help please.
Hi there , im a type one diabetic and I have been diagnosed for just over 38 years ,but ten years ago I was told that my kidneys were at level 4 kidney failure and to help me would I be intrested in talking to someone about a transplant ?so I said yes , I went to the appointment to find out that it was to transplant a set of kidneys and a pancreas as a set ,so I signed the forms to set up the procedure,I was told if I had any problems to contact the transplant nurse who was in charge of me up until I went for the operation ,just over a year went by when I got the phone call to go in ,so nerves on edge I got to the hospital ,all my blood matching came back ok so they took me to theatre,
16 hours later I was bought round in the recovery room ,but to be told that they had only done a pancreas transplant !instead of the full set as they thought that with the pancreas in place it would settle my kidneys down a bit ,but to my surprise My Creating function had dropped in half and I didn’t have an insulin drip attached to me ,only pain management and saline ,but slowly I got better with my Creating down at 150% ,but never had to inject insulin to control my diabetics since ,I do suffer hypos & I will also suffer all the problems that comes with Type1 diabetics like Neuropathy ,gastroperises’ ,bleeding at the back of the eyes right through to calcified arteries in the legs & could end up loosing my legs at some point ,yes there are things out there to help the problem but you will still suffer long term affects due to the diabetes

J E T 1 9 7 6

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Motherhen2014 i am post transplant which i had both kidney and pancreas done at the same time, they found my kidneys were failing when i was 21 and said i would need a transplant by the time i was 30. I was in bits they put me on statin's and asprin to keep mt BP down and to protect my heart. I hit 30 and had about 20% renal function but then for the next 7 years it just stayed around the same level, the doctors could not explain this and said i was a one off ( not the first time a doctor has said that). As i was having trouble with my diabetes at my local hospital i went to see a consultant at Newcastle and it was like seeing the light at the end of a tunnel. He got my diabetes sorted but the doctors at my local hospital were not sending him any letters about my renal function, i new that when i needed a transplant it would be done at Newcastle and the consultant i was seeing was part of the transplant team. So i changed all my care to Newcastle which is about 30-40 mins away but the care and trust i had in the doctors there was worth the travel. We had a meeting with all the doctors who would be involved in my transplant and the out come was to do a SPK. In april 2015 i got the call there was a match for me I went through a 7 hour op and the transplant went well but other problems came to light but i am still here to see my kids grow up. If you are in the early stages of renal failure it will only show up when the kidneys are working below 50% and with new research being done all the time they may be able to keep your renal function at a steady rate. Hope everything goes well for you.

Last edited:

Motherhen2014

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thank you so much for your replies My kidney function went down to 30 in August I had a urine infection which I took just three antibiot8cs from cystitis I had on the Day by Sunday Cystitus had gone, this was after I had a bad fall in the garden.My leg started swelling and I did not feel well but thought it was due to fall.
Then on the following Thursday I was shaking badly and collapsed but not before I phoned my daughter.I had fallen on floor and couldn't get up.I was suffering sepsis shock due to urine infection luckily my neighbour and daughter got there quickly.I was in hospitAl for three weeks and in that time I was eating very small meals.My kidneys went back to 41. My thinking is that smaller meals had a good result on my kidneys.
I know I was very lucky to get help so quickly thankful for rapid response they were wonderful.
So your replies have made me feel better and I am certainly going to do something about being more responsible about my eating.
Many thanks for your replies as I am writing on 24tg December please have a wonderful Christmas. Xxx

fairy108_

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Roseanne01

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
'isms'. Not being able to eat potatoes.
Thank you for this.
Hey. Low carb doesn’t work for me either. Too much protein for my kidneys and I just feel sick all the time. To me the Low carb thing is becoming cultish. One issue is that as we get older, particularly post menopause, our metabolism slows down abd that’s an issue. I’m on a turmeric blend but I’ve had a few complications lately and I’m sure Trulucuty (19 weeks on taken myself off) is not doing my kidneys any good. Friend on it has had his kudney function improving for over a year and he’s in his eighties. Advice from my nephrologist is lots of water, don’t panic about one egfr because even a bit dehydrated can impact the reading, do muscle building activities, and watch how much meat based protein, so more plant based stuff. And btw that photo is abou eighteen months old, pre my pacemaker (viral cardiomyopathy). I’m fat as at the moment.

Reactions: Prancy

Mrsdobson

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey. Low carb doesn’t work for me either. Too much protein for my kidneys and I just feel sick all the time. To me the Low carb thing is becoming cultish. One issue is that as we get older, particularly post menopause, our metabolism slows down abd that’s an issue. I’m on a turmeric blend but I’ve had a few complications lately and I’m sure Trulucuty (19 weeks on taken myself off) is not doing my kidneys any good. Friend on it has had his kudney function improving for over a year and he’s in his eighties. Advice from my nephrologist is lots of water, don’t panic about one egfr because even a bit dehydrated can impact the reading, do muscle building activities, and watch how much meat based protein, so more plant based stuff. And btw that photo is abou eighteen months old, pre my pacemaker (viral cardiomyopathy). I’m fat as at the moment.
Hello I have just had my U &E retested they were at 9 so wanted them doing again. I am now in a panick, I have tried eating more meat but have gone off meat. Have I got kidney failure ? Can’t wait to see dr on Wednesday to find out, any tips please

Prancy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello I have just had my U &E retested they were at 9 so wanted them doing again. I am now in a panick, I have tried eating more meat but have gone off meat. Have I got kidney failure ? Can’t wait to see dr on Wednesday to find out, any tips please
How are you doing?

• Friendly
Reactions: Hopeful34