Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football, Rugby, Sweede, Parsnips, Beetroot
I live in North Wales.
Most of the roads are 60 mph.
Crashing at that speed is not like crashing at 30 mph.
Why do people phone and text when driving are they complete idiots or simply addicted to staying in touch?
We can get by fine as proved by thousands of years without being connected all the time.
The addicts will ignore what I just said.
Your father may be putting my l;ife at risk.
So my dash cam will go to the police if he ends up on it.
Unfortunately he'll get a fine instead of a ten year ban and possibly jail time.
Think I'm being over the top?
Two minute video made in Wales.
Please watch all of two minutes if you can be dragged away from being connected that long.
If your attention span can last that long.
Please watch and then tell me I'm over the top.

I seemed to miss you out somehow. (I'm in England not Wales) but I do get what you mean. I know what can happen. Even though my dad does it. Also i can't exactly not get in my dad's car because for example if we're going for dinner I can't miss dinner as I can't skip a meal because of my blood sugar. I've told him loads of time but he doesnt want to watch these videos or stop or give mobile to me. I just hope one day before something bad happens he'll get stopped by police if he doesn't stop.
ps however I did decide to cancel the trip to Wales we were going to do because I don't trust my dad on a 3-4 hour drive and I can easily go by train later the month.
Using mobile puts yourself at risk, your passengers at risk and if it caused an accident it's like waisting emergency services time kind of because it could all be prevented.

Reactions: JTL

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
No I didn't think you were in Wales.
I'm using Wales as an example because the roads are fast and bendy and there have been a lot of accidents here because of phones. Some people have taken the law into their own hands when it's been seen near kids and schools and parks and shopping and so on.
Been a few slappings and lots of reportings.
He needs ostracising from the community.
He needs to know he's as bad as a drink driver.
Tell him from me I think he's an immature idiot who thinks .... it won't happen to me because I'm a really good driver.
Irresponsible prick who's a danger to us all..

Reactions: Sable_Jan

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
No I didn't think you were in Wales.
I'm using Wales as an example because the roads are fast and bendy and there have been a lot of accidents here because of phones. Some people have taken the law into their own hands when it's been seen near kids and schools and parks and shopping and so on.
Been a few slappings and lots of reportings.
He needs ostracising from the community.
He needs to know he's as bad as a drink driver.
Tell him from me I think he's an immature idiot who thinks .... it won't happen to me because I'm a really good driver.
Irresponsible prick who's a danger to us all..

(a few months ago i read a news article a public bus ended up swerving to avoid a driver using there mobile and bus ended up hitting a pedestrian and injuring two people i think on the bus. (But luckily didn't kill them). The car driver got away somehow. and a last year a similar thing happend but the bus swerved to avoid a distracted driver (probably on mobile) ended up hitting another car and pedestrian killing both the car driver and pedestrian. Both the public buses at the time happend to be the bus i get to college sometimes but these things both happend at the weekend. So i wasn't on the bus luckily those days. Like it would of been worse if it was on a school day as this happend by my college and there's also a secondary school close by.
I also remember one day i was collecting my diabeties prescription walking on the pavement and this car driver was obviously distracted as it managed to drive like halfway on the pavement and road. (Luckily it just missed me as i was on the other half of pavement. So bassically it nearly hit me but didn't. (I almost said something but didn't as you don't want it to escalatle)
It drove off quickly afterwads so i didn't see it's number plate in time.

What does ostracising mean?
Yeah it's actually been shown here your twice as likely to crash using you phone whilst driving compared to drink driving although there each as bad

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
Was that caused by the car driver being on his mobile becausee you can obviously tell it's the drivers fault for being in the wrong lane.?
I have no idea.
Just a welcome to North Wales which has very dangerous roads already without the added burden of people driving whilst using a phone.
Probably a foreign driver who forgot which side of the road to be on who knows.

Reactions: Lulu9101112

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I have no idea.
Just a welcome to North Wales which has very dangerous roads already without the added burden of people driving whilst using a phone.
Probably a foreign driver who forgot which side of the road to be on who knows.
Ok
I doubt he would foreign as most foreign drivers know to drive on the right side you can easily tell by the flow of traffic. SO he's obviously distracted or drunk driving

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I''ve only just noitced this but on motorways where the max speed limit is 60-70 (i think correct me if i'm wrong) my dad always likes to go between 75-80 which is speeding. Like today when we went to the bowling. My dad was doing this on the main motorway but then slowed down when he saw a police car and the traffic lights turned red so he didn't get caught.
So the phones not the only problem :

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well, your dad certainly gives the lie to the phrase "teenage tearaway". It's the sort of driving that is often ascribed to newly-qualified youngsters in the 18-22 age bracket, eager and anxious to show off their 'prowess' (or something ;))

He's not having a personal crisis of some kind, is he? Looking for his lost youth or affirmation that he's still capable of seeking & enjoying thrills and excitement or danger?

Seems to me there's only one option - and that is to refuse to get into the car when he is driving, so that he knows just how seriously concerned you are about his behaviour . Difficult, I know, and will probably cause family arguments, but I'd prefer to have a row than to have a coffin. The alternative could be that one day he, or you, or both will be saying "I wish ....." "I wish ....."

p.s. Earlier you said something about having to go with your dad because of needing to eat. Understandable, but is it not possible to get a taxi, public transport? Or you could just use blackmail and tell him that because of his behaviour you will have to go without food, and could have a hypo, and that would be his fault. Or some variation on this that could, hopefully, achieve a good result. (i.e. improvement in his driving behaviour)

Last edited:

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I''ve only just noitced this but on motorways where the max speed limit is 60-70 (i think correct me if i'm wrong) my dad always likes to go between 75-80 which is speeding. Like today when we went to the bowling. My dad was doing this on the main motorway but then slowed down when he saw a police car and the traffic lights turned red so he didn't get caught.
So the phones not the only problem :
There are no traffic lights on motorways so I'm guessing you were on a dual carriageway.
I think we're all guilty of speeding.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What a horrible human being!
Not necessarily Noblehead. In August 2015, a friends husband was out with his cycling club, they had a cycling event coming up. Lee, the cyclist, was hit by a van whilst that van driver was texting. Lee was airlifted to The John Radcliff hospital, but died from his injuries, he left a wife and two daughter's, aged 14 and 12. The van driver had been caught many times and up in front of the magistrates, it was the sixth time for the same offence I believe and yet another magistrate let the van driver off, because.................. a disqualification would affect his job........... so an innocent man lost his life because of this inconsiderate, indifferent and crass individual and the magistrates were to blame as well. I am still outraged and sickened by it all. There is NO excuse.
@Lulu9101112
So sorry to read this RRB. You are right there is no excuse. In the case you quote above the guy should have gone to prison for murder. It wasn't manslaughter because he had been caught doing the same thing again and again and still persisted in offending. He knew the risks and was happy to kill whilst using a phone. Until the law changes to give realistic punishments for such repeat offenders these deaths will keep on happening. We all make mistakes but hopefully most of us try to learn from them.

@Lulu9101112 If it was my Dad I would disown him. He is a menace to society with his juvenile behaviour.

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
There are no traffic lights on motorways so I'm guessing you were on a dual carriageway.
I think we're all guilty of speeding.
I meant that I get confused by the too
My mum and grandad have never speeded never gotten a speeding ticket
And I'm not as I don't drive well not yet.
Also you shouldn't all be guilty because
Isn't speeding just as dangerous as other illegal things

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Well, your dad certainly gives the lie to the phrase "teenage tearaway". It's the sort of driving that is often ascribed to newly-qualified youngsters in the 18-22 age bracket, eager and anxious to show off their 'prowess' (or something ;))

He's not having a personal crisis of some kind, is he? Looking for his lost youth or affirmation that he's still capable of seeking & enjoying thrills and excitement or danger?

Seems to me there's only one option - and that is to refuse to get into the car when he is driving, so that he knows just how seriously concerned you are about his behaviour . Difficult, I know, and will probably cause family arguments, but I'd prefer to have a row than to have a coffin. The alternative could be that one day he, or you, or both will be saying "I wish ....." "I wish ....."

p.s. Earlier you said something about having to go with your dad because of needing to eat. Understandable, but is it not possible to get a taxi, public transport? Or you could just use blackmail and tell him that because of his behaviour you will have to go without food, and could have a hypo, and that would be his fault. Or some variation on this that could, hopefully, achieve a good result. (i.e. improvement in his driving behaviour)
Yeah but my bus pass has nearly expired so if I did he probably wouldn't give money and say it's a waste of time. Anyway 2 more days left with my dad in U.K. I'm just more worried for my half brother (who's only 3) and if my dad does this back in Netherlands. I don't think talking and pestering won't really work as he doesn't like me talking about it. It's ashame he doesn't live in UK as then I would report it to the police but he doesn't so I can't and also because it's rental car.

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
What a horrible human being!

So sorry to read this RRB. You are right there is no excuse. In the case you quote above the guy should have gone to prison for murder. It wasn't manslaughter because he had been caught doing the same thing again and again and still persisted in offending. He knew the risks and was happy to kill whilst using a phone. Until the law changes to give realistic punishments for such repeat offenders these deaths will keep on happening. We all make mistakes but hopefully most of us try to learn from them.

@Lulu9101112 If it was my Dad I would disown him. He is a menace to society with his juvenile behaviour.
I can't disown him I rarely see him as I'm in UK he ussually lives in Netherlands.

Ps i know its a while but in December I am seeing my dad In Netherlands. So is using your mobile illegal etc in Netherlands? If so when I go round there since my dad will have his actual car there. so when I go round should I talk to the local police there?

D

Deleted member 308541

So is using your mobile illegal etc in Netherlands?
I think it is illegal just about every where in the world, using a mobile phone to either text or talk while driving.

Your father needs a wake up call before he has a accident, if it was my father / brother and they were persistent about doing it I would report them. They might not do anything unless they catch him red handed, but they will surely be watching out for him if you give them the cars registration number.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
I meant that I get confused by the too
My mum and grandad have never speeded never gotten a speeding ticket
And I'm not as I don't drive well not yet.
Also you shouldn't all be guilty because
Isn't speeding just as dangerous as other illegal things
No of course not.
Driving without road tax is an offence but it isn't dangerous.
Driving without a seat belt is an offence but isn't threatening others as much as drimk driving and or phoning and texting.
Texting has to be up there with drink driving as far as loss of concentration/control whilst driving.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I can't disown him I rarely see him as I'm in UK he ussually lives in Netherlands.

Ps i know its a while but in December I am seeing my dad In Netherlands. So is using your mobile illegal etc in Netherlands? If so when I go round there since my dad will have his actual car there. so when I go round should I talk to the local police there?

Yes, using a mobile phone while driving is illegal in the Netherlands.

But personally I wouldn't wait until December to report him. I'd also insist he watched those videos.

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I think it is illegal just about every where in the world, using a mobile phone to either text or talk while driving.

Your father needs a wake up call before he has a accident, if it was my father / brother and they were persistent about doing it I would report them. They might not do anything unless they catch him red handed, but they will surely be watching out for him if you give them the cars registration number.
True but as I said because my dad is here in England only till sunday he's using a rental car.. So next time he comes it will most likely be a different number plate.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think what your father needs to understand is although he thinks he's beyond the law, a skilled and excellent driver and invincible, other road users/pedestrians ARE NOT!

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I'm sure there's more.
True but as I said because my dad is here in England only till sunday he's using a rental car.. So next time he comes it will most likely be a different number plate.
Well Lulu so far you've found every excuse in the book to not actually do anything whatsoever about this dangerous lunatic.
Will you feel the blood of children is on your hands too should the worse happen or will you find all the excuses under the sun to convince yourself it's got nothing to do with you?