Question about Dads driving

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Football, Rugby, Sweede, Parsnips, Beetroot
Well Lulu so far you've found every excuse in the book to not actually do anything whatsoever about this dangerous lunatic.
Will you feel the blood of children is on your hands too should the worse happen or will you find all the excuses under the sun to convince yourself it's got nothing to do with you?

No the main problem is my dad lives in the Netherlands and I don't have any contacts of my dutch family. (e.g step mum, dutch grandparents etc...) plus I don't know the dutch police and don't live in the Netherlands. So as I said what's point of telling as since my dads got rental car his licence plate will just change next time he visits uk? and he's leaving sunday. It's not like police would deal with it in one day.

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When he leaves on Sunday, tell him not to return to the UK until he learns to drive without touching his mobile phone! Seriously, you need to tell him you don't want to see him if he drives with his mobile a distraction and that hopefully you won't have to report him to the police next time, because that is what you'll do..............right? Ask him for your half brother mothers contact details so you can check up on him.

As a father myself, if my kid turned around to me and said that, that would be a big wake up call and I'd know I've been an complete idiot and stop immediately, no if's buts or questions.

D

Deleted member 308541

No the main problem is my dad lives in the Netherlands and I don't have any contacts of my dutch family. (e.g step mum, dutch grandparents etc...) plus I don't know the dutch police and don't live in the Netherlands
Here's a link for the Dutch police.

Dutch police contact details
You can contact the police:

At the police website, you can find the contact details for your local police: click on Korpsen (top right hand corner of the webpage) select your region. Note that enquires and complaints should be made to your police branch / region.

Telephone
- If you are in an emergency and require urgent police assistance, you should call 112
- For non emergency matters that still require police assistance, call 0900-8844
- If you have to call the Dutch police from abroad, use +31 34 357 88 44

It took only two minutes to find that info.

You need to grab his mobile phone and throw it out of the window if he starts texting.

Remember if you are with your "father" while he is texting you could be charged with Aiding and Abetting if he gets caught texting.

Reactions: Sable_Jan
S

Seriously

You need to grab his mobile phone and throw it out of the window if he starts texting.

Remember if you are with your "father" while he is texting you could be charged with Aiding and Abetting if he gets caught texting.

Aiding and abetting?

Edited by moderator to remove insulting remarks to another member.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

All I thought that can happen if the driver gets caught texting/using mobile is £200 and 6 points on license= license taken away.
What's aiding and abetting? Also as I said I don't know my dad car/number plate in Netherlands?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
D

Deleted member 308541

What's aiding and abetting?
Condoning a offence.

In Australia if you get into a car knowingly with a drunk driver who is over the limit of .05, then you are condoning a offence and are just as likely to get demerit points taken off your licence.

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Condoning a offence.

In Australia if you get into a car knowingly with a drunk driver who is over the limit of .05, then you are condoning a offence and are just as likely to get demerit points taken off your licence.
Well that's Australia.
Drink Driving is different to using mobile whilst driving as well.
I'm in UK. (Plus I'm 18 and don't have licence yet)

Fruitella

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, how about writing him a letter and sneaking it into his luggage so he finds it when he returns to the Netherlands or in his hand luggage? Write down the most important reasons and say how much it is troubling you and why. Include how much it would affect the whole family especially you and your step brother if he caused an accident and hurt another family whilst texting, include a couple of family pics. Tell him how much he means to you and how much you are looking forward to seeing him in a few months but find it hard when this is upsetting you so much.
You are young and he should be the responsible adult. When you learn to drive in the next few years you can do your bit to be the best driver you can and be proud of it.

S

Seriously

Not if you kill someone while doing either one, or both at the same time.

Do you have one example of 'aiding and abetting' while using a mobile phone?

Anywhere in the world would do.

Edited by moderator to remove disparaging remarks

Last edited by a moderator:

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
When I was a teenager I was done for aiding and abetting a guy who drove without insurance.
I was fourteen and was asked did I know he had no insurance.
Being 14 I naively answered yes.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well that's Australia.
Drink Driving is different to using mobile whilst driving as well.
I'm in UK. (Plus I'm 18 and don't have licence yet)

Hi,

Oddly enough.. If you got your provisional & went out driving under instruction/supervision with your dad & he was using his device? He's liable to the same points & fine..
In this senario the safest thing you can do as a driver is find a safe place to pull over & park, then switch off the engine..

Here's where I Doug it up.. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/advice/breaking-the-law-without-realising/

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi,

Oddly enough.. If you got your provisional & went out driving under instruction/supervision with your dad & he was using his device? He's liable to the same points & fine..
In this senario the safest thing you can do as a driver is find a safe place to pull over & park, then switch off the engine..

Here's where I Doug it up.. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/advice/breaking-the-law-without-realising/
I know but I don't even have a provisional. I know as my older brother has provisional and you can't even use or touch a phone whilst supervising a learner driving.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I know but I don't even have a provisional. I know as my older brother has provisional and you can't even use or touch a phone whilst supervising a learner driving.

Speaking to your step-mum or another relative is good. The idea of a letter is good too.

You don't need your dad's registration number to inform the police in the Netherlands. His name and address might be enough.

Using a mobile while driving is as bad as drink driving, and it should be seen that way.

You've had a lot of helpful suggestions here so one or more of them must be suitable for you to try. You're an adult - don't be afraid to politely speak to your dad.

For me, it's not so much about the law, it's more about the fact that your dad and others like him are putting other road users at risk. You know he's doing this so you have an opportunity to speak up and hopefully stop him and protect not just yourself and your half brother but other adults and children who might be in his path.

S

Sable_Jan

Not diabeties related but my dads driving can be a bit stupid sometimes like using his mobile when driving (only for texting) and he especially does it when stopped at traffic ques or lights. I've tried telling him to stop it and that's when he just brushes it off. I'm actually suprised he's never been caught by police. (Since it's one of the main problems in our area) I'm just worried one day he will be stopped or cause an accident before someone get's hurt. Just getting caught can cause you too lose your license. It''s bad enough when other drivers do it's worse when one of your parents do it.
He does also forget his seatbelt sometimes but does do it when I tell him but he doesn't with his mobile. I admit I don't always feel safe in the car with him because of his mobile.
What can I do even though he doesn't listen?
Refuse to go in the car when he's driving..... texting is worse than calling. He probably thinks it's OK to text at the lights but as long as the key is in the ignition and the engine is running it's illegal. Why don't you print out the rules and leave them on the table....
Odd times I've done it if my lights have just gone red cos I know there are three more lots of traffic to go before mine change again.
Police are too understaffed and underfunded to worry about a driver texting at the lights.....

Just happy being me

S

Sable_Jan

Sorry but I assume that's US since your using $. So this doesn't make sense as I'm in UK and they changed there rule to 6 points £200 fine and as I said 6 points= lisence taken away.

Sorry I accidentally missed you out. True but as I said my dads only here for a few weeks and my mum and dad don't get along (there split up)

(He still does it to use it for sat nav, texting or looking at sport scores like he's only been round here in UK since Sunday and yet I've seen him use his mobile whilst driving 5 times.
We were originally going to Wales for the trip but I decided not to because I didn't really trust my dad with a 2-3 hour drive because of the mobile thing. It's not only this. I always wear my seatbelt but my dads stopped wearing them. But that's not as important as he finally puts it on because I tell him too or the beeping noise gets too annoying for him.

Also others I don't see the point reporting it to police because he uses a rental car when in UK so the licence plate changes whenever he comes to UK and also because he doesn't live here.
What's the rental car got to do with it?

Just happy being me

Lulu9101112

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
What's the rental car got to do with it?

Just happy being me
Update: Guess he learnt as he doesn't do it anymore. Well.i don't know if he does in holland (but I don't think he has as he's been using his bike more as step brother is just learning to ride :p but when he comes over he doesn''t anymore

S

Sable_Jan

Ok
I doubt he would foreign as most foreign drivers know to drive on the right side you can easily tell by the flow of traffic. SO he's obviously distracted or drunk driving
Never assume.... my friend's son was almost killed and his fiancee & unborn child died in an incident of a car veering over in front of him from opposite side. The poor man had had a heart attack and was probably dead before he crossed the centre line....

And foreigners DO get confused. It doesn't matter what you KNOW ... there may be many years of driving on the opposite side to us and sometimes autopilot moments happen....

But that's getting off the subject....or actually, maybe it's not....it just serves to show your Dad should always be alert, not texting

Just happy being me