Felt bad yesterday BG 4.3

keitjones

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all

Help please. Yesterday I felt rough. Felt like my head was full of cotton wool, dizzy, tired and a headache. I measured my BG and it was 4.3. Is this a hypo? Everything I have read indicates 4.3 is not a hypo. Perhaps my body can't cope with 4.3 BG? This is the second time I felt like this. Last time BG 4.1.

Prior to this my eating pattern was identical to any other day.

After this reading I ate 3 biscuits and started to feel better.

Any thoughts or advice please.

Cheers

hca

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello, you may be experiencing a false hypo, 4.3 is a good number but your body may have been used to high numbers in the past, in the short term the biscuits may have made you feel better, but you do not need them, I am sure someone more experienced will be along soon and be able to explain things better.

Reactions: coxymk2

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If you have been high for some time you body gets used to the high values so starts to treat normal as hypos. You have to go cold turkey on these false hypos so that your body resets it normal levels. You should only get them a few times. You would have been better to have had something much smaller than 3 biscuits. With this amount of carbs you have just reinforced your bodies condition to react to a false hypo

mandi26

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I can t really answer your question as everything I ve read says the same thing, however I get exactly the same feelings with those readings anything below 4.6 and it's always the same. They usually happen late afternoon. I'm trying not to treat any of my 4s + at the moment but I'm much more alert to the fact that I need to eat soon when there at the bottom end of the 4s I'm hoping my body will get use to them as my readings have come down from a lot higher over the last 7 months.
Perhaps the more experience members of this forum can help us out with this I ve only been diagnosed since the start of the year.
It's the 3.7s that worry me and that's when I immediately treat myself with some glucose tablets any other suggestions for treatment would be greatly received. Mandi

Reactions: coxymk2

keitjones

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I can t really answer your question as everything I ve read says the same thing, however I get exactly the same feelings with those readings anything below 4.6 and it's always the same. They usually happen late afternoon. I'm trying not to treat any of my 4s + at the moment but I'm much more alert to the fact that I need to eat soon when there at the bottom end of the 4s I'm hoping my body will get use to them as my readings have come down from a lot higher over the last 7 months.
Perhaps the more experience members of this forum can help us out with this I ve only been diagnosed since the start of the year.
It's the 3.7s that worry me and that's when I immediately treat myself with some glucose tablets any other suggestions for treatment would be greatly received. Mandi
Thank you Mandi26. I have been diagnosed since the beginning of the year too. So much to learn and take in. Definitely having problems at the moment fasting bloods were 7.3 today

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
Mandi26. I find that a few jelly babies soon pull me up from readings in the 3's when I start to get the shakes. They taste better than glucose tablets too!

Reactions: Sharon14448

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
very good point Alison

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It is likely our brain has become insulin resistant and have impaired glucose uptake. This means that at normal glucose level, it is unable to adequately fuel the brain. Hence it sends out all the hypo like symptoms.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I now feel fine if and when I get down to the 3's but can only do it when extended fasting. It really is fine providing you aren't taking any sugar lowering medication and if you are getting that low then stop the meds (after checking with your doc, although I never bothered) rather than ingest glucose.

mandi26

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@keitjones @mandi26 , are either of you on any medications to help lower your blood glucose?
Yes thanks for asking I'm on Gliclazide I ve just changed my dose to 80mg with my evening meal when it was originally 80 mg morning and night. I did cut down to 40mg in the morning for a couple of months but I found after never eating breakfast in my life always having to eat something at 5.45am usually on the train to work was a real pain and I had put on weight.
My first thing in the morning readings (4am) are usually never higher than 7.3 and go down to the 6s by 8.30am as I'm constantly on the go from 4.30am until 11.30am I now just have a small snack late morning when my readings are usually in the 5s or 6s

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
If you are on Glic then yes you need to eat some carbs when you are going low as your pancreas will continue to release insulin. Try not to over feed the insulin

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@mandi26,

If you are cutting down the carbs you are eating then the Gliclazide dose will need to be adjusted by your doctor as to progress to normal BG levels. If you are often (more then 2 days a week) having to eat additional carbs due to being on Gliclazide talk to your doctor about opitons.

Arsenal79

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The lowest I dropped was 3.7 the shaking the sweating the heart beating faster than normal I've never had it on the 4.3s but everyone's different