Hi to all

Diamonds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
We are going down to Paington in devon on Saturday do i need to keep my insulin cool in a cool pack 6 or more hours travelling.

I am also changing to diabetes care at chesterfield instead of sheffield.
My appointment is on 8th of august so hopefully will get better care than i did at sheffield with Maxine.

Diamonds500.

JohnJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Diamonds,

Can be a problem with our summer (makes a change), instructions say should keep under 30˚c. But I use a Frio pouch generaly and when very hot weather, a 12v small fridge that can plug in your car on long journeys. Though my insulin pen that is in use should be left out of the fridge, according to instructions, I have had the odd one 'go off'. So perhaps just keep it cool.

If you are worried, check with your care team, temperatures may affect different types of insulin in various ways? I am on Humalog Mix 25 that seems pretty ok in warm conditions.

Reactions: Prem51

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
We are going down to Paington in devon on Saturday do i need to keep my insulin cool in a cool pack 6 or more hours travelling.

My appointment is on 8th of august so hopefully will get better care than i did at sheffield with Maxine.

Diamonds500.
Welcome to the forum @Diamonds. Yes, keep your insulin cool but not too chilled. If it freezes it is no longer useful. Have a good trip.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Diamonds ,

Welcome to the forum.

Traveling in a car with insulin in the summer is fine usually until the car stops..
With the engine off & the car closed up & locked on a break exposed on a hot day in a service station car park for instance, along with the heat dissipating from the vehicles engine while it stands could send the interior temprature soaring in 15 minutes?
Cooking your insulin.

Reactions: Prem51

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance

Diamonds500.
Exposure to temperature extremes and direct sunlight will have detrimental effects on insulin and many other medications. Transport them with care.