Type 2 Blood sugar going up

kevin hogg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi my bs is increasing and I don't know why
I was successfully following lchf for 18 mnths with readings in the fives. Just recently they are in the high 7s low 8s I haven't changed anything but it seems to be icreasing
I am only diet controlled no metformin etc. Advice please

Reactions: leslie10152

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you keep a food diary? Any idea of the amount of carbs you consume each day?

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
I was successfully following lchf for 18 mnths with readings in the fives. Just recently they are in the high 7s low 8s I haven't changed anything but it seems to be icreasing
It may be a subtle shift in diet or your meds may need to be reviewed. Are you less active at this time? The amount of the increase is not excessive but it is increased and needs to be controlled.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

When are these readings taken? Fasting, before meals, after meals, bedtime?

kevin hogg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Readings taken midday before eating as I rarely eat anything till then. But I don't think I have changed anything
No I don't keep a diary as I dont really change anything as for carbs one protine roll but not every day but do put milk in my tea so minimal carbs below 20 I think
Thanks for replies

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
OK. Can you tell us what you ate yesterday and the day before?

Taking a reading at midday before eating and not at any other time isn't really very meaningful. So much can affect it that is unrelated to food, not least liver dumps throughout the morning, or varying degrees of exercise during the morning. Perhaps try some extra tests - before each meal and 2 hours after first bite, bedtime, first thing in the morning. See what those readings say.

D

Deleted Account

Our BGs are affected by far more than just the food we eat.
You increase may be due to less (or more) exercise, stress, illness. or even your body fighting off some nasties before you get to feel the symptoms (a higher than usual is often an indication I have a cold coming)

Fleegle

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
We have gone through a period over the last month or so of really warm weather and this impact my BG unless I make sure I am really hydrated. I think the other changes (mentioned in previous post) are also important - for example in your low carbs have you upped protein or indeed put on a little weight if not balancing fats and exercises.

I did post a thread on this sometime ago because I read some anecdotal reports of similar findings but I never found anyone at all who posted that the LCHF diet had stopped working so it is likely to be solvable.

kevin hogg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do eat eggs and bacon with a couple of sausages on an irregular basis so it might be that, or liver as I dont eat that a lot perhaps once a fortnight thinking back i had apple slices on a ploughmans lunch may be that, thanks for the advice
I thought 8.2 was high so am reassured a little, thank god for this forum as the doctor wants to put me on metformin I told him no as i would ask fellow sufferers for advice and he was very angry

Reactions: pleinster

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought 8.2 was high so am reassured a little,

I am sorry to have to disillusion you, but 7's and 8s before eating are higher than desirable. For a T2 diabetic you should aim for between 4 and 7 before meals and under 8.5 after eating (ideally under 7.8).

If you keep a food diary including portion sizes and record your levels alongside you should see some patterns emerging and maybe tweak your diet a little. Food-wise, it could be a bit too much protein, but more likely too many carbs.

pleinster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
ignorance
I would advise testing at other times. Also, I agree that things other than food can be responsible...how long have your "higher" readings been there for? Small infections can cause this...stress...other medication...lack of fluid...While I would agree the readings are not exactly high...they are not ideal either and will need addressed if you find no easy explanation. the food diary advised is the way to go even if you think you know the impact of all you are eating...a record of this along with detials on readings and times can show patterns you may not expect. Good luck.

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
The ploughman's would have had bread wouldn't it ? Try a food diary for a week as suggested and I think you will find carbs creeping in where you didn't think.

Good luck

kevin hogg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yep nice crusty rolls but don't eat them just enough willpower to let them sit on the plate

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Yep nice crusty rolls but don't eat them just enough willpower to let them sit on the plate
You'r a better man than I then, ever since my nan used to send me down to the bakers at about six in the morning I have been unable to resist crusty rolls straight from the bakers oven

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I also agree that a food diary or log is important for keeping track of things I also feel that diabetes is not static that things change over time from my log I can see trends and certain foods that used to be ok are not any longer and visa versa, you may not change what you have been doing but your body's reaction to what you do may change.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
A food diary isn't something you need to do every single day. Do it for a week, weigh and measure everything. Then you'll have a good snapshot of your meals and can tweak where applicable