My weight is stuck! Fed up.

keitjones

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all

I was diagnosed 1st Jan 17. I cut out bread, pasta, rice. Sweet things processed foods. I lost 16lb. Since March my weight has fluctuated around 12st. I can not get the weight to fall any further.

My bmi is 24.5.

I run 5k twice a week, do weights at the gym and walk 10k steps 5 out of 7 days. I am active. If I believe my phone I am in the top 30% of active people in the UK. Yet my weight refuses to go down. As I say that is now 12 weeks.

A friend of mine who is on the Olympic rowing team said that with all this activity i am adding muscle. And not to worry too much.

My bg appears to be under control average 6 or hba1c 35.

So what say you all?

Do I need to worry and accept it. Or change something around to lose another 10 lbs?

Thank you

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi there and welcome!! What did you replace those starchy carbs with?

Some of us need to keep protein moderate or even saturated fat. Are your carbs low enough? Do you know how many you're eating?

Carbs pack loads of pounds on for some of us. Dairy as well. Too many nuts too

Are you on any meds?

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
FullSizeRender.jpg I know BMI is not always so useful for athletes as they tend to have more muscle mass (hubby's a personal trainer!). But saying that your BMI of 24.5 is in the healthy zone anyway.

Reactions: ringi

keitjones

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there and welcome!! What did you replace those starchy carbs with?

Some of us need to keep protein moderate or even saturated fat. Are your carbs low enough? Do you know how many you're eating?

Carbs pack loads of pounds on for some of us. Dairy as well. Too many nuts too

Are you on any meds?
Hi Kristin251, I am on 1 500mg metformin per day. I replaced them with fats, butter, cream, olive oil, coconut oil, salads, seeds, nuts and avacardo.lots of fish and chicken and vegetables not potatoes . Some fruit

keitjones

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
View attachment 23408 I know BMI is not always so useful for athletes as they tend to have more muscle mass (hubby's a personal trainer!). But saying that your BMI of 24.5 is in the healthy zone anyway.
Thanks Rachox, my problem being any older man is my fat is all round my middle quite lean elsewhere. Of course fat round the middle is a cause of t2. My waist is 36in. So not too bad. Just want to shift a few more pounds get that T2 totally reversed

Reactions: Rachox

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks Rachox, my problem being any older man is my fat is all round my middle quite lean elsewhere. Of course fat round the middle is a cause of t2. My waist is 36in. So not too bad. Just want to shift a few more pounds get that T2 totally reversed
Oh right. The person who invents a diet which can target specific areas will be a millionaire very quickly!

fati2

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hate arguments
Blood sugar
My morning reading is 7.3 is that good or bad after I had full fat yogurt and fruit yesterday eve

fati2

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hate arguments
Sadly portion size matter no matter how low carb you are eating, I find it very difficult when eating with family.

Reactions: Prem51

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Hi all

I was diagnosed 1st Jan 17. I cut out bread, pasta, rice. Sweet things processed foods. I lost 16lb. Since March my weight has fluctuated around 12st. I can not get the weight to fall any further.

My bmi is 24.5.

I run 5k twice a week, do weights at the gym and walk 10k steps 5 out of 7 days. I am active. If I believe my phone I am in the top 30% of active people in the UK. Yet my weight refuses to go down. As I say that is now 12 weeks.

A friend of mine who is on the Olympic rowing team said that with all this activity i am adding muscle. And not to worry too much.

My bg appears to be under control average 6 or hba1c 35.

So what say you all?

Do I need to worry and accept it. Or change something around to lose another 10 lbs?

Thank you
The simple fact is muscle weighs heavier than fat.
Your hba1c is great so things are working well. Your bmi is great too.
Continue as you are. Healthy bones, muscles and MIND. Is all anyone can aim for.

Hopefully soon I'll be able to have your same dilemma. ;)
Personally I'd vote for muscle over fat everytime.

Remind me again why you want to weigh less?

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Google for leptin. It decides what your ideal weight is and it probably decided it is 12st.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I developed a waist when not losing much weight at all.
Initial weight loss when dying under the influence of Metformin and a statin was from arms and legs, after I stopped taking them and was able to get far enough away from the bathroom to do some exercise my waist shrank
It was when I got my Hba1c down below diabetic levels that the change became most obvious.

sarah_chadwick

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I seem to have hit the same kind of plateau, it happended earlier in the year but then picked up again, but I will keep going with
LCHF 5:2, i'm sure it will pick up again at some point (she say's with hope!!) well done on what you have done so far :)

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was 85 Kg when diagnosed with type 2 last October. Reduced carbs and my weight reduced to about 76 Kg in March. It plateaued there for several months until recently when I cut out breakfast or just ate a small piece of carrot with some hummus for breakfast. Since then it has started to gradually drop again and now I am down down to 73.8 Kg.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think some of us might naturally tweak and refine along the way. Initially eating lots of fats and losing weight. Then as weight loss slows we start cutting a little fat, or maybe lower our carbs a bit more and wright loss continues but at a slower pace. Then we might realize we don't need ALL THAT FOOD, and cut portions a bit more.

I know I don't need NEARLY the food I used to eat. When I first started Atkins eons ago I never really paid attention to the higher fat part but dropped 20#'s quickly. I typically was never a large meal eater but exchanged grains, starch and sugars / sweets for veggies and lean meats. I was at a good weight and felt so much better staying below 20c per day
During another phase I added more protein and gained and felt bogged down. Didn't KNOW I had diabetes at the time but looking back I'm sure I did
Then I read the Rosedale diet about protein requirement ( now I was monitoring bg) and dropped protein and spread it out throughout the day. Bg came right back into place. At first it seemed such a measly amount and I was quite surprised how well I felt.

Of course there were other approaches over the years that I've tried but 20c or less per day, .8-1 g per kg lean body mass and JUST enough fat to satisfy works for me. Portion sizes matter, type of fat matters, everything matters.

TIANDB

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Try 5/2 Lifstyling this can be done with low carb if it suits ? On the 2 days part fasting try just one meal per day and coffee with cream or black to support you through the day. You could try this for a few weeks to see if any progress..

Reactions: Serena51

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
My weight loss has stopped but so has my strict low carbing. Hoping to get it back asap.
Ironically I'm maintaining my weight thou.
Need more weight off.
Low carbing and xmas preparations with 2 kids may be harder than I thought.
We'll see.
Low carb, where are you, I need your help.
Money is making a difference, to me.