Annual Diabetic Nurse review...

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yup, had this this morning...

HbA1c of 40...

She was really unhappy at my Cholesterol figures and my Low Carb High Fat diet... seems to blame my diet for my 'high' Cholesterol... Total 6.5, HDL ratio of 3.6

She also didn't like the fact that I didn't have my annual eye screening either as my Optician had already checked my eyes when I informed him I was diabetic. He gave a serious look at my retinas and was able to take the photos and examine them without the eyedrops...

Doesn't like my high blood pressure either... which is annoying as I want to join a gym to hit on the way to or from work, yet every gym membership has a medical click through where I would have to lie about not being on blood pressure medication...

Looseboy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes
40 sounds good to me

@Paul_c what's the issue with the gym, I don't understand? I have high blood pressure and have been on meds for years and had many underutilised gym memberships in that time.

Only now that I am taking things seriously and have lost weight, with help from the gym is my BP dropping.

I don't understand why you cant join?!

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
Yup, had this this morning...

HbA1c of 40...

She was really unhappy at my Cholesterol figures and my Low Carb High Fat diet... seems to blame my diet for my 'high' Cholesterol... Total 6.5, HDL ratio of 3.6

She also didn't like the fact that I didn't have my annual eye screening either as my Optician had already checked my eyes when I informed him I was diabetic. He gave a serious look at my retinas and was able to take the photos and examine them without the eyedrops...

Doesn't like my high blood pressure either... which is annoying as I want to join a gym to hit on the way to or from work, yet every gym membership has a medical click through where I would have to lie about not being on blood pressure medication...
Don't let it get you down @Paul_c. 12 years of this.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
She also didn't like the fact that I didn't have my annual eye screening either as my Optician had already checked my eyes

It will mess up their stats, and as some of GPs payments are based on result....... (Including a requirement to put lots of people on satins!)

Reactions: Serena51 and dbr10

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Most gyms just want a letter from your GP and you to have a introduction section from their trainer if you tick any of the medical boxes.

Reactions: Bon83 and dbr10

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
Ah... they are statin obsessed. After my most recent Hba1C I was told my control was "good" but my surgery is now obsessing about my cholesterol (again!). It feels as if they are determined to shove me into some kind of chronically ill bracket even though I feel extremely well these days.

A prescription for statins was rushed to my pharmacy even though I refuse point blank to take them and, despite my calling the surgery to give them the third degree, the statins were in the bag all ready to go when I picked up another prescription. The pharmacist apologised and I reassured him it wasn't his fault. He took the statins back.

Doc wants me to return in three months for another blood test. The only thing that has amused me out of this whole farrago is that I was encouraged to continue with my diet plan. Yes, I most certainly shall - the LCHF plan that has improved my blood glucose.

Paul_c

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't understand why you cant join?!

to join, you have to click through a medical disclaimer and one of the conditions of joining is that you do not have high blood pressure and you are not on medication for blood pressure.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
to join, you have to click through a medical disclaimer and one of the conditions of joining is that you do not have high blood pressure and you are not on medication for blood pressure.

Talks to your GP about it, in most areas GPs can prescribe gyms membership with the CCGs paying for a few one to one lessons with a qualified fitness coach, you can then just keep paying the membership yourself .

Looseboy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes
Talks to your GP about it, in most areas GPs can prescribe gyms membership with the CCGs paying for a few one to one lessons with a qualified fitness coach, you can then just keep paying the membership yourself .

@Paul_c not sure if we are talking cross purposes or not.

I just cant get my head around not being able to join a gum because of high blood pressure(unless severe and you have been advised not to by your doctor). I go to one and if I am ever asked I always advise I have high blood pressure and am on medication. Never been challenged.
I cant think of a gym that I have been to that dose not accept people with a need to get healthy who will clearly have underlying conditions that exercise would help.

Either way I wish you all the best and I guess there are many other ways to exercise without joining a gym.

Are you in the UK?

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Given that 90% of the gyms within a few miles of my home are run by the some company (spin out from the council) and therefore have the same policies and insurance risks, I can understand it. All it takes is someone caring more about a small legal risk then about peoples health....