what to expect from a meeting with HR occupational health and my union rep

Jofster01582

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I was called into the office today for a meeting with HR occupational health (I use that term very loosely as all she had to say was go see your doctor) and my union rep ....it's not my first meeting as that was a month ago when I asked for reasonable adjustments to cover me for blood testing insulin taking and maybe taking on some food if I'm a bit low .....anyways I got told that the company would find it hard to allow me time off my job to do my many tests during the working day but it's ok for me to do them during my tea/lunch breaks ....I get one ten minute tea break and a half an hour dinner break ...so by the time I've washed/dried my hands done my second insulin injection at 8.35 tea time is over :mad: Like banging my head against the brick wall all the other reliefs are having to be put to my line manager first ....oh and I get to do my jabs in a tea room ......fuming to say the least

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: dbr10

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was called into the office today for a meeting with HR occupational health (I use that term very loosely as all she had to say was go see your doctor) and my union rep ....it's not my first meeting as that was a month ago when I asked for reasonable adjustments to cover me for blood testing insulin taking and maybe taking on some food if I'm a bit low .....anyways I got told that the company would find it hard to allow me time off my job to do my many tests during the working day but it's ok for me to do them during my tea/lunch breaks ....I get one ten minute tea break and a half an hour dinner break ...so by the time I've washed/dried my hands done my second insulin injection at 8.35 tea time is over :mad: Like banging my head against the brick wall all the other reliefs are having to be put to my line manager first ....oh and I get to do my jabs in a tea room ......fuming to say the least

Jofster01582 - It could be useful to understand what sort of work you do. If it's in an office, effectively driving a desk, then there are often few barriers to making allowances for employees needing to test etc. Conversely, if the individual works on, say, an automated production line, then if there is potential their absence from the line could impact on the efficiency of the production line, or providing relief cover for a few minutes, several times a day, I can see how your employer might see that situation as a challenge.

Please don't mistake my query as being non-supporting towards you, I'm just trying to get a bit of an insight into some of the detail. Whilst employers had a responsibility to make reasonable adjustments, there are times when the required adjustments cannot be accommodated, without impacting your ability to fulfil your duties and for your employer to continue to run an effective business.

Often the devil's in the detail.

Jofster01582

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I work on a production ....relief cover is done by team leaders .....but I'm asking for time off my duties or to be put on a job where I can build up a bank to do my tests/injections .....we have people going to the toilet/relief 2-3 times a day at ten minutes a time but nothing gets said to them .....just a bit peeved as if I ask to do my tests/injections it's classed as a relief/pee break .....

Jofster01582

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
What did the union rep say, and have much have you paid the union over the years?
Been paying into the union for 33 years now .....found out last year that the convenors had a pay rise to management level grade .....but that doesn't mean a thing ;)

Reactions: gvintagedrken

Jofster01582

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Jofster01582 - It could be useful to understand what sort of work you do. If it's in an office, effectively driving a desk, then there are often few barriers to making allowances for employees needing to test etc. Conversely, if the individual works on, say, an automated production line, then if there is potential their absence from the line could impact on the efficiency of the production line, or providing relief cover for a few minutes, several times a day, I can see how your employer might see that situation as a challenge.

Please don't mistake my query as being non-supporting towards you, I'm just trying to get a bit of an insight into some of the detail. Whilst employers have a responsibility to make reasonable adjustments, there are times when the required adjustments cannot be accommodated, without impacting your ability to fulfil your duties and for your employer to continue to run an effective business.

Jofster01582

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Please don't mistake my query as being non-supporting towards you, I'm just trying to get a bit of an insight into some of the detail. Whilst employers have a responsibility to make reasonable adjustments, there are times when the required adjustments cannot be accommodated, without impacting your ability to fulfil your duties and for your employer to continue to run an effective business.

james11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Ask your employer if they would be happier if you collapsed at work and needed an ambulance to be called regularly. ..tell them you wont test and see what happens...unions? Waste of money..all they want is your money..been there learnt the hard way...had to wait 3 weeks for them to get back to me...too late sacked by then

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Look at what you will get if they pension you off for ill health etc, given how long you have been there it may be enough to live on. Also check if it is based on you not being able to do your current job or any job.

Then consider if you wish to get a doctor to write a letter saying that he/she has given you a long term sick note due to your need to test your BG that is not comparable with your job.

Are you able to use a mobile phone for a short time while working, if so a CGM may be an solution. Why can you inject while still on the line by using a wipe to clean the skin? I think you may be able to get wipes in sealed packets that don't mess up BG readings, so they may be a option as well.

james11

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I doubt if he will get a long term sicknote...even if he does the dwp wont accept it for any benefits if they are claimed...been down that route too

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was not thinking of the dwp, more the employer's pension setup. Very few of us are in the type of pension I think he is in.

Jofster01582

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Jofster01582

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin

Jofster01582

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Funny thing is they let a youngster sit around 2 1/2 hours twiddling his thumbs because he had a headache :eek: Or the 3 people who still got to go for a pee break even though we had no labour to cover ......just no consistency here....i'm sitting here on my work area having my dinner and doing my texting and my insulin as their idea of a clean and private area for me to jab my bum is another teams rest area :banghead:

Jofster01582

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My happy doing my current job but all I've asked for is a little time to do my bloods insulin and maybe taken on some food ....and yes I know of another diabetic who gets to leave his job everyday at the same time to inject .....I never bothered when I was just on a dose of humilin before bed but now I've been changed to levemir morning and night with novorapid plus Metformin with my meals ....