Stop gliclazide

James1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Last week I decided to come off gliclazide,I have put on more that a stone in weight do to this.
I have a review with my gp at the end of the month and will tell him what I have done.
Did not seem to work for me still high bs readings.
Will see the outcome in a week or so

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
One recommended way is to reduce the gliclazide (remember you can cut a tablet in half) so that your pre-meal BG goes up to between 8 to 10. Then (and this is the important bit) reduce your carbs and/or do intermittent fasting so your pre-meal BG goes below 8, and repeat. It is safe in the short term to let BG go a little higher so as to be able to improve your diet, but you should be thinking of days not many weeks with a higher BG.

Remember you need to change your diet so you can control your BG without gliclazide and it may need to be a big change.

Much better if your GP will give your active support with an advice phone call every few days, but most GPs in the UK don't believe the Type2 can be controlled without drugs, so are not willing to support anyone that tries.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My readings are all in the normal range and controlled by diet - I was shocked. The way of eating so reviled by my doctors put me right - again - with very little effort.
I hope that you are as shocked by the weightloss/improved health/ low BG readings as I have been.
If you wear glasses don't worry about your sight changing in the first instance, the reduction of BG can cause your eye juices to change concentration - it can mean that you need to get new glasses eventually, but for some it is only temporary.

James1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for the replies
I have already stoped it for about a week now so when I speak to my GP I will let him know
Not seen a big rise in bs tbh but will keep an eye on it

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the replies
I have already stoped it for about a week now so when I speak to my GP I will let him know

Hello James.I was on Glicladize for 15 years until my BS reached 24 and nothing seemed to bring it down - so I was put on Insulin, which quickly rose to 100 units per day. I am now on 2 metformin and 64 units per day. If I had known about this Forum 20 years ago when I became Diabetic I probably have learned about the Low Carb High Fat diet and might have conquered my Diabetes.

James, if you are not already on the LCHF diet then might I recommend it to you. Also stay well away from STATINS if you value your manhood and your memory. Believe it or not, Doctors DO like to see you taking control of your Diabetes - but your Diabetic Nurse may object.

Have a nice day and all the best.

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the replies

Hello James.I was on Glicladize for 15 years until my BS reached 24 and nothing seemed to bring it down - so I was put on Insulin, which quickly rose to 100 units per day. I am now on 2 metformin and 64 units per day. If I had known about this Forum 20 years ago when I became Diabetic I probably have learned about the Low Carb High Fat diet and might have conquered my Diabetes.

James, if you are not already on the LCHF diet then might I recommend it to you. Also stay well away from STATINS if you value your manhood and your memory. Believe it or not, Doctors DO like to see you taking control of your Diabetes - but your Diabetic Nurse may object.

Have a nice day and all the best.

James1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks
I tried the LCHF thing and I could not keep it going
I felt bloated all the time and so un well with it

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
You may have been eating too much protein, with LCHF you need to stop eating the carbs but not increase protein much.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
As well as no need to gob the fat. Some fats are hard for me to digest. Animal fats to a degree but dairy especially. As well as all grains, eapeciLly low carb breads. Artificial sweeteners. No way.

There are tweaks needed for everyone. Some can eat chicken skin bacon cram and cheese all day. Some can eat low carb breads / rolls. Some can drink diet drinks. None of that works for me. Leaner protein in small amounts, plant fRs like avocados, mayo, olive oil and some nuts and seeds.

Percentage wise I'm vlc moderate protein and 80% fat but I do t eat loads of fat. Just normal.

You might want to try it again and jus today attention to foods that don't agree.

Kyambala

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks I think I might

Good morning James. You have just been given some good advice by other posts. The main point of LCHF is to REDUCE the amount of carbs such as bread, potatoes, rice, carrots, pizza, breakfast cereal, etc. Recently I have started taking a couple of slices of fruit bread before going to bed (hungry) and consequently my Insulin needs have risen again. But since starting on the LCHF diet in March I have only had one hypo, whereas I used to get at least one every week. You have to adjust the LCHF diet to suit your own personal needs. It is NOT a prison sentence.

Otherwise, I find the LCHF diet very good. A bit bland, but overall my Insulin needs have reduced. I have my HbAic test next week, so lets see if the LCHF diet reduces anything. In January it was 8.3

Nicksu

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grumpy bosses!
I think its like everything - one size doesn't fit all - some can eat high fat and their cholesterol doesn't budge, others can't (I think I fall into that category so have switched back to moderate fat, medium protein, low carbs). Either way a year into diagnosis I'm 4 stone lighter (1½ more to lose). I am still on Gliclizade (but only 40mg twice daily). My problem is getting off the steroids that caused the problems and the weight gain in the first place). Either way, its about finding a balance - my ideal is to get off the Gliclizade but this may take me another year, which I can put up with if I know what the possible result will be.