What would be a good breakfast?

B17_Fan

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been led to believe that all bran is the best choice of cereal as it's low gi. I was having weetabix but I find I get a bit sluggish after breakfast if I have that.
Any advice?

Reactions: Guzzler

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
All cereals, grains are carb rich. I sometimes have scrambled eggs with little squares of grilled, dry cured bacon and a few dots of Boursin in a bowl. Other times an omelette with cheese and mushrooms, and I used to eat a few berries with greek style yoghurt but now save this as a 'pudding' after dinner. Lots of the members here have great alternative choices, why not browse the Nutrition segment of the forum for some ideas, you may be surprised.

Reactions: dbr10

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been led to believe that all bran is the best choice of cereal as it's low gi. I was having weetabix but I find I get a bit sluggish after breakfast if I have that.
Any advice?
Bran flakes are hilariously low GI, but they cause horrendous BG spikes for me - which is ironic... I get round that by bolusing 35 minutes before I eat.

Your profile says that you don't have diabetes; so are you asking what breakfast would be best for a non-diabetic, a diabetic or just to meet the "low carb" critera? You could have a chip buttie for breakfast and still technically be low carb, it depends on your macro allowance throughout the day. I don't recommend chips for breakfast mind, just illustrating the various ways to interpret what you've asked:)

Have you any specifics in mind that are worth mentioning? Carb allowance, digestion issues that you're looking to improve, whether weight loss is required, etc.

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
cheese, salami, last night's dinner leftovers, low carb soups, but definitely not porridge or other cereals, breakfast bars, toast, bananas or anything that the mass advertising campaigns of the past 100 years have told you are the essential breakfast.
Sally

B17_Fan

Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Bran flakes are hilariously low GI, but they cause horrendous BG spikes for me - which is ironic... I get round that by bolusing 35 minutes before I eat.

Your profile says that you don't have diabetes; so are you asking what breakfast would be best for a non-diabetic, a diabetic or just to meet the "low carb" critera? You could have a chip buttie for breakfast and still technically be low carb, it depends on your macro allowance throughout the day. I don't recommend chips for breakfast mind, just illustrating the various ways to interpret what you've asked:)

Have you any specifics in mind that are worth mentioning? Carb allowance, digestion issues that you're looking to improve, whether weight loss is required, etc.

I will have to update my profile. I have insulin resistance, so anything high carb just makes me sluggish and usually after lunch I am falling asleep.
I need to lose weight as I have pcos.
My dietician thought weetabix was a good breakfast but I don't think it is now

Reactions: Chook and Guzzler

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I will have to update my profile. I have insulin resistance, so anything high carb just makes me sluggish and usually after lunch I am falling asleep.
If you don't have a BG meter then it's probably a good idea to invest in one. That way, you can ascertain what foods agree with you best - and what ones don't.

I second @Guzzler's recommendation of greek yoghurt and berries. Blueberries and strawberries are my favourite and both are still pretty low carb.

Reactions: Chook

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Make sure you read the Total Carbohydrates on the food labels. A good rule of thumb is an aim of 10% or fewer carbs per 100g. Some foods will really surprise you. There are apps and books you can get as a guide or just google the nutritional values.

Reactions: Chook

Hotpepper20000

I too have PCOS. A combination of low carb and Metformin has been key in helping me lose 5O pounds. I still have 50 to go. But I feel great.
I don't eat any grains. No matter what the GI is. All grains. Rice, quinoa, barely all of it spikes me.
I use to be tired, foggy, grumpy and have all over body aches so bad I could barely move some days. After 20 years of dealing with PCOS this way of eating has changed my life.

Reactions: Ultramum

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
My nurse recommended weetabix or bran four years ago too. I didn't listen!
I think that as a nation we need to forget about what we believe are breakfast foods and eat what is nutritionally beneficial to us. W.K Kellogg had a lot to answer for!
I had left over chilli for breakfast yesterday, leftover low carb quiche today... Breakfast can be anything.

Sent from my Pixel using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Any advice?
Yes. I think we've all been advised to eat Albran at some time on the grounds that it might have lots if sugar, but the fibre means it low GI. This is complete claptrap.

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast can be anything.
I couldn't agree more. We have (in the west) been totally brainwashed that breakfast should be something out of a cardboard box, that looks as if it too were made of cardboard. Just think about what that "stuff" actually is. Processed, coloured, extruded, pressed, super heated, puffed up with extra air to make it look more and not the slightest resemblance to any real food stuff that would have been recognised pre-industrialisation. And yet, we've all fallen for it: essential fibre, added vitamins, energy to enable you to start the day. Why not give the kids a bowl full when they get in from school (they can join the increasing numbers of child T2 diabetics).
And yet, if you travel around the world, to the less westernised parts, breakfast will be miso soup in Japan, "curry" in India, whatever the people you are with would eat the rest of the day.
Eat Real Food! Say NO to cardboard!

Gosh, I feel better for that little rant,
Sally

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't eat any grains. No matter what the GI is. All grains. Rice, quinoa, barely all of it spikes me.
I use to be tired, foggy, grumpy and have all over body aches so bad I could barely move some days. After 20 years of dealing with PCOS this way of eating has changed my life.

I could have written this :D
And after (what feels like centuries of) experimentation with diet, carbs and my meter, i have discovered that by strictly avoiding all gluten, my carb tolerances for root veg, sugar and fruit have improved. But a single dose of gluten screws up my blood glucose for weeks. By that i mean that during the 2-3 weeks it takes for me to get over a gluten intake, my blood glucose over reacts to any carbs.

Those bran flakes (which I love) would be a perfect example of a simple thing that would have exactly that unfortunate knock on effect...

My breakfasts are v varied.
Mon to Fri I tend to just have a glug of cream in my coffeesubstitute. Although I had a low carb hot choc one day this week, and it worked well, both in terms of blood glucose and brain focus. Saturdays i have anything from scrambled eggs to cold ham, sliced cheese, leftovers, avocado, baked avocado with salsa, gluten free toast, low carb mug cake (here's a link to some recipes http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2015/03/low-carb-mug-cake-recipes.html).
Sundays I am often out with a friend for breakfast followed by the longest dog walk of the week, and we go to different places every time. Steak and eggs, mushroom omelette, kippers, scram egg with smoked salmon, bacon and egg. Not being able to eat sausages (cos they've got gluten in) has really cramped my style! So i only eat sausages at home nowadays, so I can scrutinise the ingredients.

Hotpepper20000

I could have written this :D
And after (what feels like centuries of) experimentation with diet, carbs and my meter, i have discovered that by strictly avoiding all gluten, my carb tolerances for root veg, sugar and fruit have improved. But a single dose of gluten screws up my blood glucose for weeks. By that i mean that during the 2-3 weeks it takes for me to get over a gluten intake, my blood glucose over reacts to any carbs.

Those bran flakes (which I love) would be a perfect example of a simple thing that would have exactly that unfortunate knock on effect...

My breakfasts are v varied.
Mon to Fri I tend to just have a glug of cream in my coffeesubstitute. Although I had a low carb hot choc one day this week, and it worked well, both in terms of blood glucose and brain focus. Saturdays i have anything from scrambled eggs to cold ham, sliced cheese, leftovers, avocado, baked avocado with salsa, gluten free toast, low carb mug cake (here's a link to some recipes http://alldayidreamaboutfood.com/2015/03/low-carb-mug-cake-recipes.html).
Sundays I am often out with a friend for breakfast followed by the longest dog walk of the week, and we go to different places every time. Steak and eggs, mushroom omelette, kippers, scram egg with smoked salmon, bacon and egg. Not being able to eat sausages (cos they've got gluten in) has really cramped my style! So i only eat sausages at home nowadays, so I can scrutinise the ingredients.
Intresting isn't. I find the same thing. I recently have let a few slices of freashly baked bread slip past my lips...... a few times. And my aches ,dark mood and grumpiness has returned.
That's what I get for thinking because my BG is good I could get away with it!! But now I know what is wrong and how to change it!!!
I can have stone fruit now in small doses and even a few fresh roasted potatoes and it has little affect on my BG and I still feel great.
Live and learn.

Reactions: Madmaureen
D

Deleted member 308541

I do not like breakfast cereals, but I am a big fan of omelettes for breakfast.

Eggs, grated cheese and a bit of imagination and I never have the same combo twice in a row.

Hotpepper20000

I do not like breakfast cereals, but I am a big fan of omelettes for breakfast.

Eggs, grated cheese and a bit of imagination and I never have the same combo twice in a row.
I throw in any leftover veggies and or meat. Yum yum. And when I don't eat breakfast then I have it for lunch.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
A lot can be said for not having any breakfast, then you have a lower insulin level for longer extending the overnight fast until lunch time. Sometimes when I do want a snack in the morning I have a handful of olives maybe with some cheese.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Any advice?

As others have suggested commercial breakfast cereals can be difficult for T2 who are looking to manage their diabetes by diet and perhaps some lightweight medications.

I haven't made this one myself, but I gather it hits the mark for some people. http://www.ditchthecarbs.com/2015/03/06/grain-free-cinnamon-crunch/

The recipe makes quite a few portions, so if you fancy trying it, it could be worthwhile halving or quartering the recipe, just in case it isn't to your taste.

Personally, I tend to have some yoghurt, with or without stewed rhubarb.

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
A lot can be said for not having any breakfast, then you have a lower insulin level for longer extending the overnight fast until lunch time. Sometimes when I do want a snack in the morning I have a handful of olives maybe with some cheese.
I would love to be able to fast. However, I don't seem to have the correct mentality. I've accidentally done it, but if I purposely attempt to do it I spend all morning dreaming of food.

Sent from my Pixel using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app