Sky News: Disturbing rise in childrens T2 diabetes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What happens in America usually happens here pretty soon. Prof. Lustig said that he is getting obese children in his clinic of six months of age. He says that there is a habit for mothers to dip pacifiers into syrup and stuff it in the mouth of the child to shut it up. The child gets addicted.

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had created a thread earlier with a BBC link .. http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/rise-in-numbers-of-children-with-type-2-diabetes.124887/

Looks like 2/3rds of the young people with type 2 are girls and more likely to be of black or Asian heritage. I haven’t seen any join here, but there could be some who are not active. Mostly the teenagers who join are type 1 and looking for other youngsters to talk to about their diabetes. There could be an element of blame with teenagers getting type 2 as it seems to be associated with obesity and an inactive lifestyle. If 20% of year 6 are overweight, then there needs to be more education on healthy nutrition in schools and the amount of sugar in child oriented foods needs reducing. Sugar is highly addictive, so requires a lot of willpower to wean yourself off it.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
The thing is that parents are going to be given the same old advice from the NHS that adults have been given for ages. Where children are concerned the HCPs dare not give better guidance for fear of reprimand.
This is so sad in that it is so preventable.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Technology can also take part of the blame with children glued to computers and phones instead of playing and being active. Children have all this available to them in their bedrooms. Their homes have become their playgrounds and parks. It wouldn't surprise me if many were also Vit D deficient.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Technology can also take part of the blame with children glued to computers and phones instead of playing and being active. Children have all this available to them in their bedrooms. Their homes have become their playgrounds and parks. It wouldn't surprise me if many were also Vit D deficient.

That is so true, plus there's very few children's playgrounds around now and playing fields have been turned over to housing developments.

My mum use to say she hardly ever seen us in the school holidays as we'd be out playing all day, the only time that she did see us was when we came home for something to eat.

Reactions: Bon83

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Remember that people of Asian heritage often get Type2 at a much lower BMI.

S

serenity648

I think there is more going on here than food intake and activity levels. I think, in the near future, it will be revealed that some component or components in either the food chain, or medicine chain, are causing this. Its too large and widespread a problem to simply be down to food intake and activity levels. I suspect that the cause is well know, but not revealed yet, like the link with lung cancer and smoking were. Or heart disease and transfats were.

something is poisoning our livers and pancreases in a mass epidemic. Blaming individuals doesnt address the cause, and deflects the blame, suppressing and diverting the focus on revealing the true cause.

My money is on it being linked to pollution and organo-phosphates and artificial fertilizers, or maybe on something leaching out of the plastics we use to wrap and, often, cook foods.

I know this is the Daily Mail, but i cant find the link to the original study - note the date of the article:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...-food-containers-linked-obesity-diabetes.html

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2010/03March/Pages/BPA-plastic-health-warnings.aspx from 2010.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Diakat

Hotpepper20000

I have noticed that there has been a serious increase in snack foods.
Have been in childcare for almost 25 years I have seen a huge change in how kids eat. The snacks if there was any used to be fruit(I know for Type2 not great) or cheese and crackers, with a drink of milk or water and usally only once a day in the afternoon. Now no parent leaves the house with out a snack for their kids even if it's just for a short walk or outing. These snack are packaged as healthy. Granola bars , over processed cheese sticks, fruit ******* and fruit juices. All of them as a occasional treat ok but not multiple times on a daily basis. Then children acquire a taste for highly processed sugary foods and they won't eat their meals. Parents default to kraft KD, frozen pizza, frozen wallfles and sweetened yogurts because it's disheartening to cook a meal for the family and the children won't eat it.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
When I was a child fruit juices cost money, these days it is close to being free of charge, this may have something to do with Type2 in children, given fructose is the best method known to give lab animals fatty livers.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
That is so true, plus there's very few children's playgrounds around now and playing fields have been turned over to housing developments.

My mum use to say she hardly ever seen us in the school holidays as we'd be out playing all day, the only time that she did see us was when we came home for something to eat.

Ah @noblehead , did you ever get "I'm not running a hotel here!" from your mum?

Reactions: noblehead
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think there is more going on here than food intake and activity levels. I think, in the near future, it will be revealed that some component or components in either the food chain, or medicine chain, are causing this. Its too large and widespread a problem to simply be down to food intake and activity levels. I suspect that the cause is well know, but not revealed yet, like the link with lung cancer and smoking were. Or heart disease and transfats were.

something is poisoning our livers and pancreases in a mass epidemic. Blaming individuals doesnt address the cause, and deflects the blame, suppressing and diverting the focus on revealing the true cause.

My money is on it being linked to pollution and organo-phosphates and artificial fertilizers, or maybe on something leaching out of the plastics we use to wrap and, often, cook foods.

I know this is the Daily Mail, but i cant find the link to the original study - note the date of the article:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...-food-containers-linked-obesity-diabetes.html

http://www.nhs.uk/news/2010/03March/Pages/BPA-plastic-health-warnings.aspx from 2010.
Do you think that this could be your mystery substance?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/high-fructose-corn-syrup_b_4256220.html

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought we didnt have products containing HFCS in the UK?
I tried to find a reference for that and got nowhere. An outright ban doesn't seem to exist but a production quota exists in EU, thus

"Many people have misconceptions about regulations concerning high fructose corn syrup in the European Union, or EU. Contrary to common opinion, high fructose corn syrup isn't banned in Europe. Referred to as isoglucose or glucose-fructose syrup in this region, use of high fructose corn syrup is restricted because it's under a production quota."

I got this from here.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/464851-why-is-high-fructose-corn-syrup-banned-in-europe/

The article goes on to say that the restriction has been eased.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When we were kids, we drank milk (breakfast), water through the day, and there was a bottle of orange squash on a high shelf in the cupboard that only came out when we had visitors. Too expensive to waste on us kids. Oh, there was also a bottle of Ribena which was only used if we were off school due to some dreadful plague.

Nowadays, kids are given hot chocolate for breakfast, drink squash and fizzy drinks all the time, juices are seen as health foods, and most of the kids I have seen in the last few years refuse to drink plain water.

Sorry if that sounds like some kind of pre-historic 'back in MY day' rant. It isn't. I would have LOVED to drink all that stuff as a child! :) It is more a comment that I think people drink more sugar than they eat, nowadays, and don't even realise that they are doing it.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
I think some schools and childcare settings are more aware. My daughter's school supplied one piece of fruit as a snack and freely supplies water.
At her holiday club if sweets or crisps are supplied by parents the club remove them from a packed lunch.
The problem seems to me to be how to define a one size fits all "healthy" diet as all of us here know different things affect us all differently.
Cost comes into it as well...