Half marathon looming

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I'm doing a half marathon in a few weeks and just scouting for any advice/suggestions. I have read a lot on here for the past few months :) it's a trail run so I expect it will be a bit longer than a road run lol - about 2 hours 45 ish ? Anything tip wise diabetes related or not will be great :D how to stay motivated at about mile 8 please

Reactions: Snapsy

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I'm doing a half marathon in a few weeks and just scouting for any advice/suggestions. I have read a lot on here for the past few months :) it's a trail run so I expect it will be a bit longer than a road run lol - about 2 hours 45 ish ? Anything tip wise diabetes related or not will be great :D how to stay motivated at about mile 8 please
Are you using any form of flash glucose monitor or CGM @Bon83? I'd be wanting to use one for the likes of a half marathon, both for keeping an eye on my BG and also so I wouldn't have to stop and test...

Plenty fast acting carbs on your person, gels would be a good option in my opinion. I'd definitely need a large drop in morning basal for the run, but I'm sure you're already aware of how exercise impacts your BG. A half marathon is a good bit further than I typically go, although I must admit I'm more into my cycling than running.

Good luck to you:)

Reactions: Snapsy and Bon83

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Bon83 Ive got a half marathon on 27 August, it's just a road run. I'm not sure I'm brave enough to try a trial run! I've done my last long run, of 13.2 miles, this morning. Unbolused for cheese and peanutbutter for breakfast, 9.1 leaving, 5.3 returning, CGM thought I was lower and had suspended my pump for the last 30 minutes or so. I've been trying to do a 12 mile long run on a Sunday for the last 4/5 weeks. I will maybe do 7/8 miles next week and enjoy tapering!

I'm not sure you need tips on motivation to get through 8 miles on the day. The fact it's the big day and there will be a load of people all on the same course, all with the same goal will keep you going no problem.

Diabetes tips is: have a hypo treatment and test kit with you, follow organiser instructions on notifying and signalling medical conditions. The last half I did said anyone with medical conditions should write a cross on the front of their race number, so I had a cross with T1DM on it, and more detailed medical info on the back of the race number. Don't change anything dramatic for race day, eat what you normally eat and know works for you on your normal long run days.

Make sure to have fun doing it!

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
These are great tips thank you :) I am having a gel or two during a long run I have been doing 10 miles on a Sunday when I can. I worry a lot about hypos so probably have my bs too high really. I am going to try and let it be lower next week on my long run. Trail runs are gorgeous for scenery you would be fine you seem to be a keen runner give it a go catapillar :D

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you using any form of flash glucose monitor or CGM @Bon83? I'd be wanting to use one for the likes of a half marathon, both for keeping an eye on my BG and also so I wouldn't have to stop and test...

Plenty fast acting carbs on your person, gels would be a good option in my opinion. I'd definitely need a large drop in morning basal for the run, but I'm sure you're already aware of how exercise impacts your BG. A half marathon is a good bit further than I typically go, although I must admit I'm more into my cycling than running.

Good luck to you:)
I have got a libre and I must admit over time it's become more useful during a longer run! I have got up to 11 miles so the half is new territory for me. I carry plenty stuff probably too much lol. I have a few more chances of an experimentation running.

Reactions: Snapsy and GrantGam

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Bon83 Ive got a half marathon on 27 August, it's just a road run. I'm not sure I'm brave enough to try a trial run! I've done my last long run, of 13.2 miles, this morning. Unbolused for cheese and peanutbutter for breakfast, 9.1 leaving, 5.3 returning, CGM thought I was lower and had suspended my pump for the last 30 minutes or so.
Good luck to you also @catapillar:)

How much carbs did you take on-board over that last run?

@Bon83, I'd also be interested to know how much carbs you're consuming on lengthy runs if you don't mind?

I have to hammer in the carbs when I exercise, my most was 120g for a big cycle (55 miles, avg speed 13mph, 3000ft elevation). A 4-6 mile run I'd probably need about 40g or so. I'm on MDI and toying with the idea of taking no basal in the morning if I've a big route planned; I'm taking 9u at night and 6u in the morning so my dose is fairly low. I understand you are a pumper @catapillar so probably set a TBR; what about yourself @Bon83 are you on MDI?

Hope I've not derailed this too much, if I have - I'll shut up now:)

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How much carbs did you take on-board over that last run?

I didn't eat or drink anything during the run. I certainly gulped down a pint of water soon as I got through the door. I had a decent chunk of cheese and 2-3 very heaped teaspoons of high protein peanut butter before leaving. I know the protein and peanut butter will bump up for about 2 hours, so I was 9.3 and climbing as I left. That's really higher than I like to be to start off cos double figures is no good for my stamina, or pace (or, frankly, my ability not to get run over).

I had woken up higher than I like to so I didn't have a TBR running.

I'm on 640g with a predictive low suspend, so if the CGM thinks I'm going to hit 3.4 it will just stop the pump delivering any insulin. When I had about 5k left I checked pump and it said I was 6.4 and dropping, so it will have shut the pump off shortly after that. I did knock on an increased TBR when I got in to make up for the 30mins I'd had with no insulin delivery.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I didn't eat or drink anything during the run.
That's impressive; I'm going to have to have a play around with things to see if I can get to a stage like that. Slightly less basal in the morning will probably help me a good bit and possibly some slow release carbs (un-bolused) before setting out.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Bon83 and @catapillar . Can offer no advice whatsoever, I'm no runner. Would still like to say good luck for your respective runs coming up, running without diabetes is bad enough but with it, well , you both a credit and inspiration to us all.
For what it is worth I have in the past undertaken 20 k rowing challenges, about at 80 mins duration.
One thing I found was that a steady pace throughout ( 2 mins per 500 mts ) kept my levels far more predictable than if I decided to mix the stroke rate and times up. Example 1 k at 1.55 pace then 2 k at 2.05 pace followed by 2 k at 1.57 pace and so on, would make it far more difficult for me to predict my sugars, even though my overall time would still be the same.
Probably bears no relevance to running though.

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
This is all really good stuff thank you! I am currently using basal and bolus insulin and ill be honest even with the libre it's a bit of a nightmare. I've been running since Feb this year but only 10 k plus for the past few months. I tend to spend the first 30 40 mins with glucose high because of glycogen release but when that runs out I drop really fast - so I am wary to do any kind of correction for this initial rise. I'm currently having to run with little to no fast acting insulin on board. To be honest hotter weather is also an issue as heart rate up so burning faster. Catapillar that is indeed quite an achievement to run 13.2 miles with nothing! My heart rate is nowhere near steady enough for this well done. I find when heart is hammering I drop a lot quicker. Like therower says intermittent high activity is a lot harder to predict. At the moment I have a gel (about 30g carbs) at about 40 mins then another one 40mins later for about 2 hours running - I can go about 1 and half hours without anything but that's my lot. I don't really want to explore how long I can go before I go too low I'm a bit hypo paranoid really. I know I could probably run better if my bg was lower. It's frustrating

Reactions: GrantGam and Snapsy

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Bon83 . May be worth trying different sources of fuel as it were opposed to adjusting your insulin.
As catapillar says cheese and peanut butter work well for her and can definitely advocate peanut butter for a delayed source of energy. Not to everyone's liking but malt loaf really works well for me, just something for when you've been training for half hour or so and then you get the energy/ carbs kick in .

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I definitely do it with no IOB, last bolus pre run was a bed time correction, so like 8 hours before.

Roddy Riddle spoke about using pace to manage blood sugar when he spoke at the animas sports weekend I went to in October. He said that if he sees he is dropping on his CGM he will sprint so the adrenaline from the high intensity burst pushes him up and staves off a low. My problem with that is getting my legs to listen to me when I tell them to sprint!

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I definitely do it with no IOB, last bolus pre run was a bed time correction, so like 8 hours before.

Roddy Riddle spoke about using pace to manage blood sugar when he spoke at the animas sports weekend I went to in October. He said that if he sees he is dropping on his CGM he will sprint so the adrenaline from the high intensity burst pushes him up and staves off a low. My problem with that is getting my legs to listen to me when I tell them to sprint!
I have a few more practice runs I may try something longer slower acting. I am quite experienced with my swimming I can keep that steady. Sprinting is reserved for 100 yards to the car lol

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
He said that if he sees he is dropping on his CGM he will sprint so the adrenaline from the high intensity burst pushes him up and staves off a low.
That's interesting. I'm sure I read on the RunSweet website that starting your run with a short sprint can cause a BG spike that might be enough to tie you over.

That technique obviously comes with issues such as sprinting on cold muscles having the potential to cause injuries, etc. Not sure my body would be fit enough to still have tonnes of glycogen for me to summon through a quick sprint during a lengthy run. If you're really fit though, I'd imagine it's achievable.

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's interesting. I'm sure I read on the RunSweet website that starting your run with a short sprint can cause a BG spike that might be enough to tie you over.

That technique obviously comes with issues such as sprinting on cold muscles having the potential to cause injuries, etc. Not sure my body would be fit enough to still have tonnes of glycogen for me to summon through a quick sprint during a lengthy run. If you're really fit though, I'd imagine it's achievable.
There is loads of good stuff that with time and practice makes great sense. It also requires quite a bit of rational confidence to do it though. Personally I have a bit of an irrational fear of hypos - I know we need to respect them and be prepared. But instead of a hypo when exercising being an inconvenience that I would deal with I visualise myself passing out alone on the run and then. ... I have a friend I run with who had a big stroke he has a medic bracelet with his medication on and mostly tells people where he is going - bit more rational than me.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There is loads of good stuff that with time and practice makes great sense. It also requires quite a bit of rational confidence to do it though. Personally I have a bit of an irrational fear of hypos - I know we need to respect them and be prepared. But instead of a hypo when exercising being an inconvenience that I would deal with I visualise myself passing out alone on the run and then. ... I have a friend I run with who had a big stroke he has a medic bracelet with his medication on and mostly tells people where he is going - bit more rational than me.
I can fully appreciate your fear for that reason, the "what ifs" can be scary. I did a large cycle last year and finished my 90g carb 1l bottle of fructose water and was down to my last gel with 8 miles left, alone.

It gave me the fear a bit and I didn't have the confidence to sprint to try and raise my BG as I knew my glycogen stores were well and truly gone.

I'm really sorry to hear about your friend, by the way.

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can fully appreciate your fear for that reason, the "what ifs" can be scary. I did a large cycle last year and finished my 90g carb 1l bottle of fructose water and was down to my last gel with 8 miles left, alone.

It gave me the fear a bit and I didn't have the confidence to sprint to try and raise my BG as I knew my glycogen stores were well and truly gone.

I'm really sorry to hear about your friend, by the way.
The mind is not only a powerfull tool for good you can talk yourself into anything I think. My friend is good he doesn't let stuff get into his mind and is really positive. I need a bit of that sometimes. Great stuff with the cycling btw

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Great stuff with the cycling btw
Thank you; it's just a hobby - nothing too serious. The vast majority is downhill mountain biking which is mainly me falling off so all good fun:)

Good luck with your run when it comes @Bon83:)

Reactions: Bon83

Notorious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello, I'm doing a half marathon next month. I've done a couple already. Be prepared that you might be a bit higher than optimum at the start due to race nerves. I use jelly babies as they're 5g of carb in each so easy to know exactly what you're taking in. During road races, there are often supporters giving out sweets and gels on the way though I appreciate this is less likely on a trail run. Try not to take on too many carbs at once, I messed up my last race a bit by going too high and needing to stop to wee twice!
As for keeping going when you hit the wall, my husband gave me the advice to look ahead for an attractive bum - and them to just follow that bum ;-) Works for me! Good luck.

Reactions: Bon83

Bon83

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I'm doing a half marathon next month. I've done a couple already. Be prepared that you might be a bit higher than optimum at the start due to race nerves. I use jelly babies as they're 5g of carb in each so easy to know exactly what you're taking in. During road races, there are often supporters giving out sweets and gels on the way though I appreciate this is less likely on a trail run. Try not to take on too many carbs at once, I messed up my last race a bit by going too high and needing to stop to wee twice!
As for keeping going when you hit the wall, my husband gave me the advice to look ahead for an attractive bum - and them to just follow that bum ;-) Works for me! Good luck.
That's great advice thankyou - it's a hard balance isn't it. Last practice run I think I had the gel too early pushed me a bit high for a while felt groggy for a bit. But I'm really paranoid about waiting past 30 mins bg dropping and not being able to come back up. Good luck with your run too and thanks again it's really inspirational hearing other diabetics fitness stories. It's easy to get beaten down by things not going your way - being too high or to low. Letting the demon doubt get in thanks guys :)

Reactions: Notorious