Please sign my petition - it could make your life easier!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes I agree people eat out for all sorts of reasons but when it is a treat I want to enjoy something I would not usually have at home I certainly don't want to worry about eating a few extra carbs.
You do realise that if the information was there that no-one could force you personally to read it? If you want to enjoy a treat then you can still do it, just don't read the nutritional info. Simples.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do the low carbers have a militant wing?

In breaking news..."A bowl of tortellini is being held hostage...."
It looks that way Scott;)

News just in: "A can of ravioli was found severely beaten down a side street in Aberdeen this morning. The tin was later rushed to hospital but sadly pasta way shortly after..."

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It looks that way Scott;)

News just in: "A can of ravioli was found severely beaten down a side street in Aberdeen this morning. The tin was later rushed to hospital but sadly pasta way shortly after..."
That joke was so baaaaad....lol

cott97

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Having to always get the nutritional breakdown as I must eat gluten free I have yet to find somewhere that doesn't show the carb content. It may not be printed on menus but I did think it was compulsory to have nutritional Info available now....

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The trouble is with having the carb count included with pub/restaurant and fast-food takeaway is the portion sizes, they can and do vary depending on the person serving the food, so there would have to be some continuity with the portion sizes otherwise the carb value isn't worth the paper it is written on.

Not knocking the idea at all and will happily sign it.............after all the more carb information available the better, but you know what it's like, sometimes you can go to the same pub and get the same meal but get a larger/smaller portion than the time before.

Reactions: slayer

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Having to always get the nutritional breakdown as I must eat gluten free I have yet to find somewhere that doesn't show the carb content. It may not be printed on menus but I did think it was compulsory to have nutritional Info available now....
Even in the likes of a family run restaurant?

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sadly I think it's a reflection of the society we have created for ourselves. Blame someone else when it goes wrong. Expect everyone to take care of us. Never ever be the person in control of your own destiny.
Sorry, although the idea is good, practically it wouldn't work as pointed out by @Scott-C .
Where would it stop? A representative of the food establishment watching to ensure we ate everything on the plate and then following us around for a couple of hours to ensure we didn't partake in any unplanned exercise which could ultimately lead to a hypo and a lawsuit. Silly I know, but someone would want it.
At some point we have to be the masters of our own destiny.

Reactions: isjoberg and Bon83

cott97

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Even in the likes of a family run restaurant?
Yes I believe so in the UK. Even the take aways have to give all the ingredients. I will check when back in UK but I have yet to be refused the information. Most are very helpful. In the family run ones they usually adapt to suit you. In the chains most are pre plated so the carb count is always accurate if you eat it all! It's amazing how many chains can't take off a gravy because the meal comes pre made and is just reheated.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I believe so in the UK. Even the take aways have to give all the ingredients. I will check when back in UK but I have yet to be refused the information. Most are very helpful. In the family run ones they usually adapt to suit you. In the chains most are pre plated so the carb count is always accurate if you eat it all! It's amazing how many chains can't take off a gravy because the meal comes pre made and is just reheated.
I'm really surprised at that. Either you've been really lucky, or I'm just unlucky:)

I'd imagine that the chefs/front of house staff should be able to provide you with a list of what is in the dish, but a weight breakdown/carb quantity would be surprising. I'd imagine it's do-able with pre-made/frozen meals you'd get from big chains. But it would probably be an issue at smaller eateries where the food is fresh.

Last edited:

cott97

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So just googled nutritional info for harvester and TGIs - both give carb content in grams. For me I become very ill if I eat gluten and there isn't a way to make an adjustment if I get it wrong so I always plan ahead. That doesn't mean I don't find some that don't have a clue - we leave at that point. I would Google before you go out and also contact their head office. They want diabetics as customers and if it's something people ask for then they will do it. With regard to small outlets they usually bring out all the packaging so I can assure myself it's safe. That has to by law in the UK contain full nutritional info but again most have it already prepared. Honestly I usually have to plow through the carb info before I find the gluten info. Most restaurants have a large A4 file which they bring out from a drawer when you ask.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with a lot of your points @Scott-C; the more I read your post, the more I feel that you're exactly right.

It would be great to go in for a meal and have the nutritional info stamped on the menu; similar to Wetherspoon's - although they lack carb content.

A facility like this would be very handy, although I agree now that making it compulsory would be a little extreme and not all that easy for some small business owners. It would be easier for corporate chains, as most of their food is pre-prepped and reheated.

What I would like to see though are more business displaying nutritional info of their meals; if they can include carbs then excellent! Teaches me for not reading things properly first thing in the morning I suppose. It's still an excellent idea, but pretty hard to implement across the board for the reasons you've stated.

Like you I also read the petition this morning.. Then thought about my wife's headache working for a small company last year, selling "natural treats" the packaging nutritional value & involvement of a vet to sign off an export document of a small consignment to the Arab emirates..
Yes I did say "vet". These "treat" chews were just for dogs....! :banghead:

Ironically now my wife works for a company that contracts "mystery diners." & hotel guests... Some are big chains.

Last edited:

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sadly I think it's a reflection of the society we have created for ourselves. Blame someone else when it goes wrong. Expect everyone to take care of us. Never ever be the person in control of your own destiny.
Sorry, although the idea is good, practically it wouldn't work as pointed out by @Scott-C .
Where would it stop? A representative of the food establishment watching to ensure we ate everything on the plate and then following us around for a couple of hours to ensure we didn't partake in any unplanned exercise which could ultimately lead to a hypo and a lawsuit. Silly I know, but someone would want it.
At some point we have to be the masters of our own destiny.
Exactly surely anyone can see it would never work.

equipoise

I think that this is a wonderful idea -- but maybe doesn't go about it the best way. Avoid legal issues, but go for consumer pressure instead. Nutritional info does need to be available, and some chains make it very clear -- so why not get it printed on menus? Pressurise chains into making carb content clear (begin with Pret a Manger, Itsu, Carluccio's, etc -- then move along) -- the more that do it, the more you establish an expectation that others should do the same. Obviously it's more difficult for individual restaurants with changing menu and less standard preparation, so no need to make it compulsory. And if consumers say they don't want to have to see unpleasant facts --- well I suppose that's how we ended up with Brexit...

Reactions: zand

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Would be great if every diabetic was offered carb counting training to make this a worthwhile exercise!

cott97

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I think that this is a wonderful idea -- but maybe doesn't go about it the best way. Avoid legal issues, but go for consumer pressure instead. Nutritional info does need to be available, and some chains make it very clear -- so why not get it printed on menus? Pressurise chains into making carb content clear (begin with Pret a Manger, Itsu, Carluccio's, etc -- then move along) -- the more that do it, the more you establish an expectation that others should do the same. Obviously it's more difficult for individual restaurants with changing menu and less standard preparation, so no need to make it compulsory. And if consumers say they don't want to have to see unpleasant facts --- well I suppose that's how we ended up with Brexit...
Maybe if we name restaurants that do on here...you always these days have an opportunity to do an online survey and you could put chose this restaurant today as I was told you showed carb count which as a diabetic is vital to me. For those that don't you say I was disappointed that you don't show carb info and as its vital for me as a diabetic then I won't be dining with you again until this information is available as many of your rivals already provide this. When I review on Google or trip advisor you can also add showed carb info or didn't or was inaccurate.

slayer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Jaylee, most restaurants display calories, gluten/nut free or vegetarian options, so why not carbohydrates?

Like you I also read the petition this morning.. Then thought about my wife's headache working for a small company last year, selling "natural treats" the packaging nutritional value & involvement of a vet to sign off an export document of a small consignment to the Arab emirates..
Yes I did say "vet". These "treat" chews were just for dogs....! :banghead:

Ironically now my wife works for a company that contracts "mystery diners." & hotel guests... Some are big chains.

slayer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Exactly surely anyone can see it would never work.

You have made it clear that you think this is not a good idea, but saying 'anyone' can see that implies everyone has the same opinions as you. Also, you are a Type 2 diabetic so I'm sorry, but you can't even begin to comprehend what Type 1s have to go through with carb counting and injecting. Surely anyone can see that.

Reactions: JPTS and azure