• Thread starter Deleted member 308541
  • Start Date

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Grown in Australia, probably in Queensland I think.
There is nothing more beautiful than busting open a perfect avocado in the morning. If it's bad my day will follow.
Are Australian generally good? Just adding to my wealth of avocado knowledge. Hhaha

Reactions: Prem51

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Not sure I ever told you all but my daughter got married in April and wanted me to let her borrow something of mine and said she didn't care what it was, just wanted it to mean something to me. After many talks about the pearls my mom wore in her wedding and gave me, the first diamond my husband ( before he was my husband ) gave me, one of my diamonds etc we chuckled and joked about an avocado in her bouquet. At the end of the day she plopped an avocado pit in. We cut it in half and each of us froze it. Stupid silly but memories. She's an avocado junkie too. Makes her feel great.

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Kristin, a week or so ago we were talking about avocados and being on 'special offer' in our respective local shops. Can't remember if it was this thread or not, (haven't read back through 5 pages), but we were talking about the various countries of origin, and which were the best. I did check it out next time I was in the shop, and found the country of origin on the side of the display box - seems they were probably South African. They were certainly different from the normal ones that are available locally, which are all Peruvian. Agree that they can be decidedly "iffy" - sometimes fine, sometimes won't ripen, other times turn to mush almost overnight. Haven't found any from Mexico, so I'll be on the lookout for South African ones again - maybe that's a new source for us. Hope so, I really enjoyed the dozen or so I had.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Kristin, a week or so ago we were talking about avocados and being on 'special offer' in our respective local shops. Can't remember if it was this thread or not, (haven't read back through 5 pages), but we were talking about the various countries of origin, and which were the best. I did check it out next time I was in the shop, and found the country of origin on the side of the display box - seems they were probably South African. They were certainly different from the normal ones that are available locally, which are all Peruvian. Agree that they can be decidedly "iffy" - sometimes fine, sometimes won't ripen, other times turn to mush almost overnight. Haven't found any from Mexico, so I'll be on the lookout for South African ones again - maybe that's a new source for us. Hope so, I really enjoyed the dozen or so I had.

Glad you have a new source that's good!! Did they keep well! I have to wondet if people don't like avocado if it's because they weren't the nice creamy ones.
Crikey - wonder what he's going to get up to next :D Thankfully, I don't think he's quite reached the stage of running things over here as well :eek::eek:
You can have him!!!!!

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Glad you have a new source that's good!! Did they keep well! I have to wondet if people don't like avocado if it's because they weren't the nice creamy ones.

Possible - guess we'll never know. Truth be told, I was not too enamoured of the first couple I tried, but persevered because of their fat content & learning about lchf; after that I got the 'taste' for them, and now very much enjoy their texture. The ones I had recently on special offer were mostly good; I followed your advice & took them out of the fridge until they had almost ripened, then put them back in the fridge till needed. The last couple were a bit over-ripe, so sadly they did end up on the compost heap (so not completely wasted!)

You can have him!!!!![/QUOTE]

.... erm ..., thanks, but no thanks.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I had a dream last night where I found a crate of Mexican avocados in a small shop. I was so excited, it was like finding the Holy Grail. I blame @Kristin251 for influencing my dreams! :)

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Possible - guess we'll never know. Truth be told, I was not too enamoured of the first couple I tried, but persevered because of their fat content & learning about lchf; after that I got the 'taste' for them, and now very much enjoy their texture. The ones I had recently on special offer were mostly good; I followed your advice & took them out of the fridge until they had almost ripened, then put them back in the fridge till needed. The last couple were a bit over-ripe, so sadly they did end up on the compost heap (so not completely wasted!)

You can have him!!!!!

.... erm ..., thanks, but no thanks.[/QUOTE]
I think taking them out and then putting them back in isn't the same. You'll probably have better luck now waiting to refrigerate until ripe. At least I hope so.
I had a dream last night where I found a crate of Mexican avocados in a small shop. I was so excited, it was like finding the Holy Grail. I blame @Kristin251 for influencing my dreams! :)

Lmao!! ( still can't find that button!) What a beautiful dream that must have been!!!
The only bad thing about avocado is the maintenance but it's all worth it.

Busted open the most beautiful one I've ever seen this morning. It's going to be a great day!! And all for .89!!!

Reactions: Salvia

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

Lmao!! ( still can't find that button!) What a beautiful dream that must have been!!![/QUOTE]

***************************************************************************************
It was an omen!! I went to Waitrose to buy avocados this morning. There were three trays of packs of two avocados from Peru. and one tray of packs of two AVOCADOS from MEXICO !!! How spooky is that?!
I had found the Holy Grail!!

And the packs of two avocados were 25% off, £1.50 for two reduced from £2.
It is the first time I have seen Mexican avocados on sale here! I bought two packs.

@Kristin251 obviously has supernatural avocadic powers!!

urwoman.gif funny-avocado-fruit-cartoon-illustration-food-comic-character-31542849.jpg

All Hail @Kristin251 the High Priestess of Avocados!!!

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Now I'm falling off my chair!!!!

Things happen for a reason. I sure hope they turn out to be beautiful. That certainly is SPOOKY.

Are they ready to bust open? I can't wait ti hear how they are!!

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Now I'm falling off my chair!!!!

Things happen for a reason. I sure hope they turn out to be beautiful. That certainly is SPOOKY.

Are they ready to bust open? I can't wait ti hear how they are!!
They are Waitrose's 'Perfectly Ripe Avocados', they seem ready to eat with just the right amount of give. I'll try one tonight for supper and report my findings.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
They are Waitrose's 'Perfectly Ripe Avocados', they seem ready to eat with just the right amount of give. I'll try one tonight for supper and report my findings.
Yay!!! Clap clap!! It's 10 am here. What time are you? I can't wait to hear lol

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
That's brilliant news @Prem51 - and definitely spooky :nailbiting: Definitely Kristin's worked her magic again.
If they're banned from US maybe they've decided to ship their load over here? Hope they soon spread up to my area. - I'm guessing that with the increasing demand for avos our shops are now having to buy stuff from a wider range of places; South Africa up here, now Mexico down there .... wonder if the Ausies will join in as well and send their extras over. :)

p.s. It's now 4.20pm here, BST. Now I'm off out for an hour's stroll

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
That's brilliant news @Prem51 - and definitely spooky :nailbiting: Definitely Kristin's worked her magic again.
If they're banned from US maybe they've decided to ship their load over here? Hope they soon spread up to my area. - I'm guessing that with the increasing demand for avos our shops are now having to buy stuff from a wider range of places; South Africa up here, now Mexico down there .... wonder if the Ausies will join in as well and send their extras over. :)

p.s. It's now 4.20pm here, BST. Now I'm off out for an hour's stroll
That banned from the US article was old news. ( thank goodness!!) Trucks were turned away at the border at one point but we are over that now. Prices did go up a bit but nothing that will break the bank.

As silly as it sounds it was something about revenge with potatoes!!! What next?

Reactions: Salvia and Prem51

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ssshhhh.. I believe Aldi is worldwide and ours have all MX absolutely gorgeous avocados. .89. Cheapest anywhere. If you have Aldi might be worth a look !

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Yay!!! Clap clap!! It's 10 am here. What time are you? I can't wait to hear lol
Well I had one of the Mexican Avocados. My first impression was that it is firmer than the Peruvian ones. But that might be because it wasn't as ripe. I'll see what the others are like over the next 2-4 days, they might get softer as they ripen a bit more.

I think I actually prefer the Waitrose avocados from Peru. They seem softer, creamier and with a richer taste. Perhaps that's because I'm used to them. The Waitrose Peruvian avos are better than other Peruvian avos from other supermarkets, small shops and market stalls, which are usually mushy, with brown bits or too hard.
The Waitrose Peruvian avos are usually just right, though they might get some brown soft bits after 3-4 days. I don't buy more than 4 at a time.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I had one of the Mexican Avocados. My first impression was that it is firmer than the Peruvian ones. But that might be because it wasn't as ripe. I'll see what the others are like over the next 2-4 days, they might get softer as they ripen a bit more.

I think I actually prefer the Waitrose avocados from Peru. They seem softer, creamier and with a richer taste. Perhaps that's because I'm used to them. The Waitrose Peruvian avos are better than other Peruvian avos from other supermarkets, small shops and market stalls, which are usually mushy, with brown bits or too hard.
The Waitrose Peruvian avos are usually just right, though they might get some brown soft bits after 3-4 days. I don't buy more than 4 at a time.
Oh. Sad. I'm chalking it up to location. I'm a bit closer to MX than you.

Sorry if it was bad info :(

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Sorry if it was bad info :(
Not at all @Kristin251 , it's always good to get suggestions and try new things. The avo I had last night might have been a one off.
I am glad that I got hold of some Mexican avos, as I would have wondered what I was missing otherwise.