DIAB1 - Driving

kwh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

Sorry if wrong message board, let me know if so and I'll post elsewhere.

I've recently discovered that the DVLA didn't know I'm diabetic (T1). Today I informed them via the online form on their website. A series of questions were asked which I answered then got a message saying I'd have a letter sent to me within 10 days.

Does anyone know what I should expect from this letter? I.e. Will it be a decision (I guess for a 3-year licence) or a request for more information? I'm keen for advice because I'm on the verge of buying a new car.

I'm really hoping I hear soon as this sort of process stresses me out as much as the HBA1c result wait!

Thanks in advance

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Does anyone know what I should expect from this letter? I.e. Will it be a decision (I guess for a 3-year licence) or a request for more information? I'm keen for advice because I'm on the verge of buying a new car.

It will be one or the other, you'll either get back a 1,2 or 3 year restricted licence or they say they want more information from you or may write to your HCP's for more information. Usually the DVLA will say if you can't drive, so if they don't mention this you can carry on driving until a decision is reached.

kwh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks- the message I got did say I can carry on driving for now. So fingers crossed

Reactions: noblehead

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't know much about the DVLA process, so can't help any, but I hope things work out ok for you. :)

Notorious

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, this happened to me too. I've been diabetic for 10 years. After telling them in 2007, I initially had a 5 year renewal, then upon renewal in 2012 they sent me a 10 year license. It was only after reading about the driving rules on this forum that I realized they must have lost some data. Good thing I didn't have an accident. I filled in the forms and got a new 3 year license back within a month, I was able to continue driving while they processed it. Wonder how many other people this has happened to?

Warriortree

Mmmm interesting, I too have been pondering on the ramifications of Diabetes re insurance and driving. I am T2 but until I was rushed into hospital last month with a Chron's diagnosis and then with the follow up steroids my blood sugars are after any meal now in the 20's mmol/l and can get to 30 - GP aware and awaiting to see the diabetic team - hurry please. So do I drive? do I tell my insurance company - looked at the paperwork and says nothing about this. So a phone call I think, may also mean I don't return to work until BM levels are back to normal. Will be looking into this.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
So do I drive? do I tell my insurance company - looked at the paperwork and says nothing about this.

Personally I would tell your insurance company as it's a change in circumstances, as to whether you should drive, high bg levels does effect vision as it causes the lenses of the eyes to swell (which leads to blurry vision) so you may not be safe to drive anyway.