Omnipod, Animas Vibe, Medtronic or Accucheck?

Sugarlumps1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm on the final stretch to getting my pump!

Next week I am meeting the nurse to see all four possible pumps and to begin a trial with one (just using saline).

I'm looking for some advice, experience and words of wisdom.

I have the option of

Omnipod
Animas Vibe
Accucheck insight
Medtronic 640g

I'd really appreciate any input about the pros and cons of these.

Thanks so much.

D

Deleted member 83869

I'm on the final stretch to getting my pump!

Next week I am meeting the nurse to see all four possible pumps and to begin a trial with one (just using saline).

I'm looking for some advice, experience and words of wisdom.

I have the option of

Omnipod
Animas Vibe
Accucheck insight
Medtronic 640g

Thanks so much.

Hello,

I currently have the Medtronic 640g, and would have to say it is brilliant! Only bad thing that I can think of is the fact that the meter that comes with it isn't a remote to the pump, whereas the Accuchek and Omnipod is!

I previously had an AccuChek Combo, but didn't get on very well with it, but love my 640g now!

I would love an Omnipod myself as the idea of no tubing is brilliant! Have you been able to actually look at all 4 yourself??

Sorry my post probably isn't much help....but good luck!! :) x

Sugarlumps1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello,

I currently have the Medtronic 640g, and would have to say it is brilliant! Only bad thing that I can think of is the fact that the meter that comes with it isn't a remote to the pump, whereas the Accuchek and Omnipod is!

I previously had an AccuChek Combo, but didn't get on very well with it, but love my 640g now!

I would love an Omnipod myself as the idea of no tubing is brilliant! Have you been able to actually look at all 4 yourself??

Sorry my post probably isn't much help....but good luck!! :) x
I'm a teacher and I have taught a child for a while who has an omnipod. I took part in his care at school so I have experience of that but have never even seen the others!

Reactions: LizzieNI

Amy993

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I had the same choices as you. I have been on the omnipod for nearly a week now and like it. Its so much better than mdi! As i am very active, i chose the omnipod as it is tubeless and do like it.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Sugarlumps1 Have a look through the threads here as there are a number comparing various pumps. You tube is also good for getting an idea of each pump.

I've used the Insight and the Vibe and currently have a Vibe, which I love.

I'm always wary about saying anything about the Insight as some people like it, but I detested it. I'd been a pump user for years before I got 'upgraded' to the Insight. It felt like a huge step backwards to me. I hated it so much, I actually phoned my DSN in tears and got swapped to the Vibe and back to pumping normality. Accu Chek are a good company with very good customer service, but the Insight is a dud, in my opinion, and my clinic no longer recommends it.

I love my Vibe because it's very robust, reliable, supports Dexcom CGM, has tiny basal increments, has a long battery life, is waterproof, has a really good choice of sets and cannulas that are Luer lock (ie universal rather than brand specific).

I've had my Vibe just under two years, and I've never had any problems with it :) It's tough and reliable, and very intuitive to use. I love it :)

LizzieNI

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I wanted the omnipod but it wasn't available in my trust. I got the accuchek without researching - big mistake. I've since changed hospitals and my new consultant is surprised by how awkward it is. She said the Medtronic was much more instinctive to use. So I'd recommend omnipod or Medtronic. Good luck.

Sent from my G7-L01 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Hi @sugarlumps

As Azure says have a look on Youtube at the various pumps on offer to you, thankfully some pump users have made their own video's explaining the pro's & con's of the pumps that they use, I viewed quite a few pre-pump and found them extremely useful.

If you wanted to try out a pump other than the Omnipod then don't worry, I believe Ypsomed will send you out a Pod if you ask them to try and get the feeling of wearing a patch pump.

I'm an Omnipod user and can't really fault the pump, however I'm sure the others on offer and equally as good if not better. Good luck.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have an Insight, and it's the only pump I've had, so I can't compare it with any other.

But I LOVE it!

It's very small with no big sticky-outy bits, is easily tuck-away-able, and can be controlled by its remote handset/meter (although you can do stuff directly on the pump if you prefer). I love the bolus calculator - it does the maths for me. It's attractive to look at (I know that sounds mad! I like how the hosepipe looks, coming out of the side of the pump very sleekly). It's got a prefilled cartridge which makes it so so easy - I don't have to fill a reservoir. It's easy to set temp basal rates for exercise or whatever, easy to disconnect for showering, swimming, *coughs* any other stuff you might want to disconnect it for, and IT HAS CHANGED MY LIFE*.

It's a great piece of kit!

:)

*Disclaimer: ANY pump would have changed my life. But this is the pump I have, so this is the pump I love. :p

D

Deleted Account

I have a Vibe. Like many, I had no choice and it is the only pump I have ever had so difficult to compare with others.

When I first got it (about two years ago), I was very unhappy about the way it looks and did some research into alternatives but discovered there wasn't much out there and got used to the Vibe.

Since then, I have got used to the old fashioned user interface (think the first Nokia phones except it doesn't have the snake game) and found Animas customer services faultless: supplies are delivered very fast, they provide a loaner pump when I go away and they replaced my pump within 24 hours when it had a slight fault (nothing that would put me off getting another Vibe).

The only other one I would consider would be an OmniPod because it is tubeless (and I have caught my tube on the door handle). However, it is not that small (unlike me) and after realising the bump from a CGM (which is smaller) is visible through a pair of trousers, I decided I was happier having something I could disconnect.

I do not have pre-filled cartridges but this is not a problem: I never had pre-filled pens because I want to reduce waste so never considered it for the pump. The Vibe set changes are easy including filling the cartridges so would stick with this if there was ever an option.

The Vibe is also useful because it can double up as a receiver for the Dexcom G4 which I use ad hoc (too expensive to use all the time).

Rosco55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
on Cellnovo pump as a trial...excellent so far. Previously MDI so nothing to compare pump wise. happy to discuss.

bethgriff

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
There's news today that the vibe is going to follow suit from America and be discontinued in the U.K. At some point in the future! :(

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have an Insight, and it's the only pump I've had, so I can't compare it with any other.

But I LOVE it!

It's very small with no big sticky-outy bits, is easily tuck-away-able, and can be controlled by its remote handset/meter (although you can do stuff directly on the pump if you prefer). I love the bolus calculator - it does the maths for me. It's attractive to look at (I know that sounds mad! I like how the hosepipe looks, coming out of the side of the pump very sleekly). It's got a prefilled cartridge which makes it so so easy - I don't have to fill a reservoir. It's easy to set temp basal rates for exercise or whatever, easy to disconnect for showering, swimming, *coughs* any other stuff you might want to disconnect it for, and IT HAS CHANGED MY LIFE*.

It's a great piece of kit!

:)

*Disclaimer: ANY pump would have changed my life. But this is the pump I have, so this is the pump I love. :p
Hi Snapsy, your review inspires me! I've got the choice of the Insight or Medtronic, and I'm dithering between the two. I'm leaning more towards the Insight though and your post is so helpful. It's my first pump too so I can't compare!
Christine

mytype1.life

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have an Omnipod and can't fault it. It works great for me, with different set basal programmes, carb input and the opportunity to alter basal temporarily for exercise.

Reactions: tircoed