GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all... I just had a complete breakdown... not sure if it is the hormones or stress (probably both)

Any way... I have had complications with previous pregnancies and sick babies resulting from uncontrolled blood glucose levels... this time I have my Bgl under extremely good control. I am not on medication and if I lose control I will have to start insulin! Which is terrifying me, I don't want another sick baby!

Anyway I have a vitamin d deficiency. I am at 33nmol... they put me on vitamins and I immediately saw my Bgl rise in the morning... which as I hadn't changed my diet I knew it was the vitamins! I checked the labels and yes sucrose and LOADS of starch etc!
I immediately stopped the vitamins and cut right back on food to regain control of Bgl.
I spoke with gp who prescribed for me vitamins, but when I went to pharmacy the only option was ones with sugar or ones with pork gelatine!

It seems my options are that I am "damned if I do and damned if I don't!"
If I take the meds that I can take (with sugar) my Bgl will lose control and I will end up on insulin and probably have another sick baby (he is a big boy already) and if I don't take the meds he will be sick in another way!

Thus the breakdown.

I am looking abroad for an alternative, but I can't for the life of me understand why our opinions are so limited in the UK! Why put sugar in vitamins that don't NEED sugar in them... the ones which don't have sugar are either ridiculously expensive or contain animal products! I only have 8 weeks left before induction and just feel like I have completely let him down.

Is there anyone else who has come across this?
A friend of mine suggested these; I think it fits your criteria entirely:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Viridian-L...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=A6KAQDGBJ64BGR2FK5E7

Good luck with everything:)

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When are/were you taking the vitamins? That is, what time of day?

I took Vit D pre-pregnancy. I used two different kinds. One was from Heatlthspan and was gelatine-free. The other type was in a capsule and was high dose and worked very well, but this contained gelatine.

I find it surprising that a vitamin tablet raised your BS. I've forgotten how many weeks pregnant you are now, but could it be the increased IR (ie a coincidence that you were taking the tablets at the same time)? Another thought which might or might not apply is that after my Vit D level improved, my control improved too, so perhaps the rise might possibly be connected to the low Vit levels?
I took the vitamins for 1 week after breakfast. Then when I tested 1 hr later, instead of my usual 6 it was 8s... seeing as I hadn't changed what I ate and the change was instant I immediately stopped, Bgl are back to normal.

The boots pharmacy vitamin d actually contains more sugar than vitamin d... the nhs pregnancy vitamins also have a higher amount of sugar than vitamin (vitamin d being the smallest amount in there)... I have found vitabiotics which my husband got for me today. No sugar, artificial sweeteners, gelatine free, vegetarian, gluten free etc etc etc. It is half the dose I need to be on so am taking two... will watch the sugars and see what happens, but seeing as there is nothing in them to raise Bgl I think/hope it'll be fine.

I am now 30 weeks... and stopped taking then in the 29th week and started them when ordered to in week 28... I have an appointment next Thursday to see the consultant but at the moment she and my gp are at logger heads! Consultant wants me on a huge dose and thinks 33 nmol is too low... gp thinks I am fine and should be on only 800 units and so won't prescribe the liquid or higher dose... she thinks it is dangerous!
Having researched it 75 nmol is OK but they prefer you (to get benefit) to have it at 125nmol or higher!
They didn't say anything about blood calcification... nor about pregnancy levels!

Reactions: donnellysdogs

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A friend of mine suggested these; I think it fits your criteria entirely:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Viridian-L...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=A6KAQDGBJ64BGR2FK5E7

Good luck with everything:)
Hi thanks, problem is it doesn't give the ingredients! It does say it is vegan but didn't say if it contains sugars (even natural ones.)

My body goes hyper sensitive when pregnant so even the smallest amount can raise me, it did say it contains natural orange extract for flavour... so a little worried about that.

It is one to keep for the rest of the family, so thanks for sharing.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi thanks, problem is it doesn't give the ingredients! It does say it is vegan but didn't say if it contains sugars (even natural ones.)

My body goes hyper sensitive when pregnant so even the smallest amount can raise me, it did say it contains natural orange extract for flavour... so a little worried about that.

It is one to keep for the rest of the family, so thanks for sharing.
If you need 2000ui per day then that is one drop, 0.5ml. There is absolutely no chance that any simple or complex carbohydrates found in 0.5ml of any liquid will raise your BG.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm also thinking it could be one of the vitamins/ minerals in your multi. Worth testing that out....

@azure, a probiotic I used to take had changed their ingredients and now includes coconut oi. Could t figure out why I was so nauseous. They were about the size of half a pencil eraser. Intolerance require complete abstenance. Just like celiacs can't have acrumb or their immune system goes nuts .

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm also thinking it could be one of the vitamins/ minerals in your multi. Worth testing that out....

@azure, a probiotic I used to take had changed their ingredients and now includes coconut oi. Could t figure out why I was so nauseous. They were about the size of half a pencil eraser. Intolerance require complete abstenance. Just like celiacs can't have acrumb or their immune system goes nuts .
I did think bit could be the vitamin b from the multivitamin, as I saw that can raise Bgl, however I stopped those and carried on vitamin d and my Bgl stayed at a raised level! I stopped the vitamin d and my Bgl immediately went to normal....

It may be my body can not tolerate in the same way yours couldn't tolerate coconut!

But definitely the vitamin given by doctors did have a huge effect on my Bgl... again everyone is unique and diabetes in pregnancy is different to diabetes outside pregnancy! It may be I would normally be OK but at the moment I am not!

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you need 2000ui per day then that is one drop, 0.5ml. There is absolutely no chance that any simple or complex carbohydrates found in 0.5ml of any liquid will raise your BG.
That's a little bit upsetting... I need to keep away from sugars, my body seems to be completely over reacting to them, how the body reacts in pregnancy is not the same as how someone else's body reacts. I don't want to end up on insulin.

Thanks for your concern but I will abstain.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's a little bit upsetting... I need to keep away from sugars, my body seems to be completely over reacting to them, how the body reacts in pregnancy is not the same as how someone else's body reacts. I don't want to end up on insulin.

Thanks for your concern but I will abstain.
I hope I've not somehow caused you upset @busydiabeticmum?

I'm in absolutely no position to comment on diabetes and pregnancy, but I genuinely do believe that any form of carbohydrates found in vitamins or supplements (which will be a minute amount) will have an absolutely negligible (or zero) impact on your BG.

What do you eat on a typical day? If you're hypersensitive to carbohydrates, then it would be interesting to hear what you're eating.

Sugars are carbohydrates by the way, just in simple form. So if you're 'hypersensitive' to trace amount of sugar, then I'd imagine that you're finding diet in general a monumental challenge just now?

There is no need to fear insulin therapy, it's your health that comes first.

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope I've not somehow caused you upset @busydiabeticmum?

I'm in absolutely no position to comment on diabetes and pregnancy, but I genuinely do believe that any form of carbohydrates found in vitamins or supplements (which will be a minute amount) will have an absolutely negligible (or zero) impact on your BG.

What do you eat on a typical day? If you're hypersensitive to carbohydrates, then it would be interesting to hear what you're eating.

Sugars are carbohydrates by the way, just in simple form. So if you're 'hypersensitive' to trace amount of sugar, then I'd imagine that you're finding diet in general a monumental challenge just now?

There is no need to fear insulin therapy, it's your health that comes first.
I am on a low carb diet, I have eaten the same thing for breakfast which I have found my body tolerates in pregnancy (mornings will always be harder and more sensitive due to the hormones being higher) I have some peanuts, cheese and tea. I used to drink coffee but that makes me sick now, eating big amounts in the morning will make me sick all day!

... just read about insulin... I was on insulin in previous pregnancies and doctors told me that my babies became ill because of the Bgl. The insulin didn't help fully control the Bgl for some reason, the Bgl would rise tremendously after meals and then go hypo before the next one! Bgl are extremely difficult to control in pregnancy because of the hormones and unpredictability of them, I am at a better hospital and going low carb has meant that I am not on medication.

With the Bgl being high this can cause serious risk to the baby, it can stop their lungs developing properly and mean they can't breathe when born, it can effect the enzyme found in the waters that the baby breathes (coats the lungs) which can cause Pphn, it can cause the baby to grow too big and so end up with needing to break the shoulders to get it out... it can also mean they go hypo after being born.
I am the mum so if anything goes wrong the blame is on me! If I don't do something right and baby suffers, that's my fault... no one else can take the guilt you feel afterwards. This is why I felt so bad and panicked. The responsibility is so huge and probably much bigger for people who already have a medical condition.

Last edited:

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am on a low carb diet, I have eaten the same thing for breakfast which I have found my body tolerates in pregnancy (mornings will always be harder and more sensitive due to the hormones being higher) I have some peanuts, cheese and tea. I used to drink coffee but that makes me sick now, eating big amounts in the morning will make me sick all day!
I would put a lot of money on the fact that you're not going to see any BG increase from a trace carb content found in 0.5ml of Vit D3. But, you won't know until you try. I'd imagine that your vitamin deficiency takes priority in this situation, but that's only my opinion and I wish you well:)

I don't have any real purpose here on this thread so will bow out now.

Last edited:

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I do agree raising your vitamin D is super important. I hope you can find one you tolerate

Hugs. I hope you find an answer.

Reactions: busydiabeticmum

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I do agree raising your vitamin D is super important. I hope you can find one you tolerate

Hugs. I hope you find an answer.
Thanks, I found vitabiotics, so far so good. No sugars or carbs hidden and also vegan.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Shame we have to search the world over to find clean vitamins!!!
Vitamins are chemical compounds, how do you decide what things are clean? If Vitamin D was called Cholecalciferol C27H44O would you still take it?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Vitamins are chemical compounds, how do you decide what things are clean? If Vitamin D was called Cholecalciferol C27H44O would you still take it?
By mouth with a fatty food or an oil contained in the capsule as it's fat soluable.

Personally I am VERY sensative to artificial sweeteners and odd chemicals. There is no need for fake sugar in anything you swallow without tasting.

I'm not looking to argue by any means. Just saying if we eat whole unprocessed un chemically laden foods, why should we have it in our vitamins?
I've used 'natural' products on my skin for years. Now it doesn't like perfumes, chemicals etc. once we are clean pollution shows up fast.

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Excellent. Is it a multi or just D? Shame we have to search the world over to find clean vitamins!!!
It is only a vitamin d... I am OK on everything else, they like my diet as I eat natural yoghurt (4g carbs to 100g.) I can have up to 3 strawberries and a handful of blueberries... but not in the morning.

I can't use anything on my skin but am lucky as I don't need anything.

I am intolerant to metformin and most antibiotics... the last time I was placed on them I took one (smallest dose) and had within the hour hallucinations, swollen tongue and needed to be hospitalized. I am also intolerant to the mini pill, the pill and the implant... saying that a small amount of sugar (which TBH it didn't say how much) wouldn't do anything for or to me seems OK for any Tom sick or Harry... unfortunately for me it could have serious adverse effects, and where a large sum of money may be won it is myself and my baby who will suffer... that isn't worth any sum of money.

I have to choose what suits my body (or what my body will accept) what makes me I'll and what doesn't.

It isn't about the name of something.

However I do have a list of e numbers I avoid... did you know most bbread contains crushed bones? Probably not! So I make home made bread for my family... I know exactly what is in there!
There are many instances where the health officials have deemed something safe, but ultimately discovered it wasn't... usually several years later after the damage has been done. Certain food colouring has been banned because of this... some additives have been banned because they were proven to cause cancer.

As my body is so sensitive to things which most other people can take with no problems, I choose to avoid things to be safe.

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've never heard that bread contains bones @busydiabeticmum It wouldn't be suitable for vegetarians if it did.
E542... I went round a few years ago and checked all the e numbers of items I was buying... e481, e482 etc are fats which can contain animal fats too. If you are vegetarian makes sure it has a vegetarian label... we also found e542 in kids yoghurt.
The bone meal is used to add calcium, problem is they are using different names, sometimes they use the e number and sometimes the scientific name (too long ago to remember). Just as Mr_Pot said.

I now just keep a sheet on the fridge door of the e numbers I would prefer to avoid... and cook everything from scratch.

http://www.food-info.net/uk/e/e542.htm

Last edited:

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not vegetarian but one of my children is. Just checked my bread - and my yoghurt! They're both ok :)
Yay, glad they're OK... our local shops are very limited... I checked all of the loaves for sale in our supermarket and they all had e481 and e482 as a minimum! The muffins and crumpets were fine o_O which is confusing... so the family is happy with that instead of toast...